SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Wigan 1

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always easy looking back..... but anyway

I was very surprised Bentley started - I think he has a lot of ability but at this moment in time it is about getting our best players on the pitch.

We were at home and Tugay should have started - ok, there were some challenges flying about but he is our best play-maker and Reid is still learning his trade as a centre midfielder. We would get the best out of Bellamy and probably Sinama with Tugay pulling the strings.

I actually think Reid has one of the best crosses in the league - the whip he sometimes gets on his crosses remind me of Beckham, Gerrard. Also, last night Reid seemed to have a permanent grin on during the match as if he has made it already as a top class player - well, you have not yet.

I actually think Reid has one of the best crosses in the league - the whip he sometimes gets on his crosses remind me of Beckham, Gerrard. Also, last night Reid seemed to have a permanent grin on during the match as if he has made it already as a top class player - well, you have not yet.

396517[/snapback]

I was watching Reid on tv yesterday, after we conceded the goal, there were a few times when the camera followed Reid, and he was there cheering the team up "come on", urging the players to chase and run. We need to keep this type of player!

Kuqi when he came on was embarrassing. If he hadn't scored we'd all be united in that view.

The first 7 or 8 headers he went up for he missed them all. He screwed that "cross" wide - there was even one situation halfway inside the Wigan half when the ball came towards him and it looked as though he deliberately moved in the opposite direction.

The guy was awful, a tap in and a flick on can't hide that.

396466[/snapback]

Right now, I would gladly swap a tap in and a flick on for all the fancy footwork we displayed at Spurs. Goals win matches and Kuqi has the good habit of slotting them in and laying them on. When presented with chances, he's put away a very decent percentage of them. So what that he can't cross - Bellamy can't head so no loss there. I was much more upset last night that Bentley couldn't cross.

I was very disappointed with last night's result. It was a game that we needed to win to keep our push for the CL going. For all our possession, we didn't create that many chances. Pedersen had a good free kick saved and had a good goal ruled out. Bellamy had a good chance in the second half, which Filan saved and a glancing header that went wide. All in all, I didn't think that we did enough to win the game. I think our goal was a foul on Filan, but this evened out the perfectly good goal we had ruled out earlier. Bellamy didn't have his best game, mainly because the service into him was pure. I would have liked to see Pongolle play up with him instead of Dickov. Kuqi got the all important goal, but my God he was shockingly bad, even by his standards. He has to be replaced in the summer, if we are to progress next season.

And I've been wondering all day if I was seeing things last night.  I sit near the BE of the JW Lower but that linesman (JW side, Darwen End half) must have had his flag up for at least 10 seconds before the corner.  What was going on?  I don't think it's unfair to say it must have put off our lads at the back at the least.  Read quite a few reports today and no mention.

Meanwhile, Kuqi, for all his faults, pops up with another point-earning goal.  It's a good habit to have.

396505[/snapback]

rover.gif replied earlier on this neil,dickov commited a foul on the touchline,that is why the lino was flagging tinykit.gif

rover.gif replied earlier on this neil,dickov commited a foul on the touchline,that is why the lino was flagging tinykit.gif

396547[/snapback]

Sorry but it didn't look like that to me waggy. When linesman flag for an infringement they wave the flag high above their head and from side to side, when they flag for offside they stick it up straight in front of them as if following some imaginery offside line. Last night if my memory serves me correctly that lino did the latter. I cannot believe that Sky did not pick up on it.

Talking of TV..... that puffy little sh1t on BBC Chris Hollins* interviewed Tim Piggin Henman for the full 5 min slot this morning at 8.35 with not the slightest mention of Blackburn v Wigan. Am I alone in thinking that Tim would have never had a look in if Spuds, the arse or chelski had been playing? dry.gif

*Soft southern mummy's boy imo!

Right now, I would gladly swap a tap in and a flick on for all the fancy footwork we displayed at Spurs.  Goals win matches and Kuqi has the good habit of slotting them in and laying them on.  When presented with chances, he's put away a very decent percentage of them.  So what that he can't cross - Bellamy can't head so no loss there. I was much more upset last night that Bentley couldn't cross.

396535[/snapback]

i couldnt have said it better myself. ok, the guy has zero abilities with his feet but like exiled in toronto has jus said, he tends to come up big in crunch time. kuqi changed the game once he came on, givin a differnet dimension in attack for rovers. he might not be good enough to start but, as a sub he does give us a different opition in attack.

On Monday night I was more disappointed with the performance than the result but after 11 wins and 3 draws at home this season can't help but think some on here are guilty of a massive over-reaction. Looking at the results since Saturday we've gained a point when our two main rivals have achieved nothing. Lucky? Perhaps, but that's how it goes in fotball.

Next job beat Portsmouth. Bolton have Liverpool away and Spurs have a Man City hopefully stung by their manager's outburst. Interesting weekend ahead.

I've been lucky enough to see some great home performances live here - Man U and Arsenal. But dear oh dear..........there have been some shockers too. Sunderland, Aston Villa and Wigan.............we got out of jail! I don't subscribe to this idea that "It's a sign of a good club - we can win when we play badly" Bull.

We did not deserve to win against Wigan. We were totally devoid of ideas when it came to unlocking their defence.........

Kuqi is a great guy and he works hard but he is not the answer. Dickov was impotent all night. Pongolle might be the answer. Bellamy may not have been at his best but he is a class above the other strikers.

Mark Hughes is the best thing to happen to this club in years but these home performances will not attract the missing thousands back to Ewood.

Cheer me up somebody - for God's sake!

On Monday night I was more disappointed with the performance than the result but after 11 wins and 3 draws at home this season can't help but think some on here are guilty of a massive over-reaction. Looking at the results since Saturday we've gained a point when our two main rivals have achieved nothing. Lucky? Perhaps, but that's how it goes in fotball.

Next job beat Portsmouth. Bolton have Liverpool away and Spurs have a Man City hopefully stung by their manager's outburst. Interesting weekend ahead.

396567[/snapback]

I agree with that Paul.

But we did have the chance to close the gap even closer by winning. On the night we weren't good enough, but Bolton's confidence musn't be that great at the moment.

We're capable of getting a result on Saturday, going to have to battle hard.

One advantage of being on the other side of the world is that I can reply to my own message before you buggers are out of bed.

If anyone can sort us out, It's Mark Hughes. There - I feel better already!

Sorry but it didn't look like that to me waggy.  When linesman flag for an infringement they wave the flag high above their head and from side to side, when they flag for offside they stick it up straight in front of them as if following some  imaginery offside line.  Last night if my memory serves me correctly that lino did the latter.  I cannot believe that Sky did not pick up on it.

Talking of TV..... that puffy little sh1t on BBC Chris Hollins* interviewed Tim Piggin Henman for the full 5 min slot this morning at 8.35 with not the slightest mention of Blackburn v Wigan.  Am I alone in thinking that Tim would have never had a look in if Spuds, the arse or chelski had been playing? dry.gif

*Soft southern mummy's boy imo!

396556[/snapback]

rover.gif i'm sat right in the corner off the jw lower next to the away fans,[cheap seats £250 season tickets] i so no offside but i had been drinking since 2.30pm.but i did see a foul by dickov on the touchline,all the lads around me were raving for offside,but the couple next to me said it was a foul and no offside had occured,i'm sure someone will have the game on tape,and could re-run it. tinykit.gif

Am I the only person that felt that Lucas Neill was a bloody defensive liability last night??

396644[/snapback]

Nope, Neill was among the worst players out there. Never seen him so bad before to be honest...

Nope, Neill was among the worst players out there. Never seen him so bad before to be honest...

396652[/snapback]

I've stuck it somewhere else and cant find it now but imo Neil only looks good when teamed up with Emo. I'm not bulling Emo up in any way cos he frequently does my head in but he covers and works well with Neil whilst Bentley leaves Neill exposed. Thompson was just the same in not sharing defensive duties.

Just my opinion.

I've stuck it somewhere else and cant find it now but imo Neil only looks good when teamed up with Emo.  I'm not bulling Emo up in any way cos he frequently does my head in but he covers and works well with Neil whilst Bentley leaves Neill exposed.  Thompson was just the same in not sharing defensive duties.

Just my opinion.

396775[/snapback]

Good point that, with Emerton or Reid on the right Lucas does look more comfortable. But I still think he has underachieved a bit the last few matches, after having a good season overall.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.