BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Wigan 1

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the reff was a complete idiot. he got everything wrong today, both for us and Wigan. and the 2 mintues given at the end were a disgrace.

I didn't think we played that bad, but Wigan cleared everything and 99% of all crosses ended up in their keeper's arms. Very frustrating. 2 points dropped today, but we have to keep on fighting.

Oh well. I always knew we were going to have an off game between here and the end of the season, let's hope that we have it out of our system now and can get back to the good stuff, at least we came away with a point.

We obviously haven't helped our champions league aspirations much with this result but not losing when it looked like we would has done our uefa cup hopes the world of good.

Just a shame that Filan produced that great save at the end to deny Bellamy. Loved the goal though, nice old fashioned one.

Champions League.... we're having a larf.

396145[/snapback]

My dad, a United supporter, turned to me after that and said "doesn't look like 4th place stuff to me". As I pointed out to him no one really does in this end of season scrap, the only exception being Arsenal, but then again they go from one extreme to another and are likely to be crap in one or two remaining fixtures. Spurs didn't look top quality against West Brom last week. The important thing at this time of the season is to pull of results, we didn't quite do it tonight, but it will do.

. Loved the goal though, nice old fashioned one.

396151[/snapback]

You mean a foul on the keeper ? Made up for the one that wasn't.

Overall, Rovers were poor, an opportunity missed. Jewell got his tactics right, defended deep and denying bellamy space. We were very one-dimesional in attack and were lucky to get a point.

Yes, I thought it was a foul, but to be fair the keeper didn't have the ball under control. As far as I know the rules of the game state that if the keeper doesn't have the ball under control then he and the ball can be challenged. Yes, though, made up for the other. True, they also had a goal wrongfully disallowed but MGP would have put us into the lead and I don't think they would have been able to come back for that.

Stop the doom and gloom jim. Alright, we weren't great and we've missed out on a possible three points, but we can't be brazil every week and not even Chelsea always win. Bolton and Arsenal have very tough games this weekend and I expect City to bounce back and give Spurs a run for their money. Hopefully we will play the way we can against a team in the bottom three.

You mean a foul on the keeper ? Made up for the one that wasn't.

Overall, Rovers were poor, an opportunity missed. Jewell got his tactics right, defended deep and denying bellamy space. We were very one-dimesional in attack and were lucky to get a point.

396154[/snapback]

Because of work I only got to see the last half hour.. I reckon Hughes got it right with bringing Kuqi on instead of pong, they were defending so deep that there would of been no space for for the Frenchman. And, of course, Kuqi got the goal and wo a shedload in the air (woeful on the deck though).

I was amazed at how hard Wigan worked, they managed to outstrip us in that department. Hughes will be fuming.

We are still on an incredible run, but people should remember that there is absolutely no chance that we will win every game. Pompey away is suddenly looking very difficult.

Agree with you totally joey. If we don't lose any of our remaining games (much more realistic), then I'd be very impressed. I have to say I thought we were going to lose, so there is a certain feeling of relief at the moment. A real shame though that Filan produced that save from Bellamy.

Disappointing match, disappointing result. The dropping of Tugay was understandable because of the aggressive nature of this match, and I guess the same thing goes for Sinama - but Bentley didn't do anything today (he's a forward !!) and the same goes for Dickov.

We do have the best centreback north of London though, another fantastic effort by Ryan Nelsen. Zura also did well today, as did Gray - but Neill didn't have the best of games. In midfield, Reid and Savage had a tough job with Kavanagh and Bullard closing them down well, but they performed okay. MGP had a lot of dangerous freekicks, and was more involved than the last few matches - but lacks pace. (Cue: Rover6)

In a match like this, pace on the wings is so important! De Zeeuw really impressed against Bellers, and we needed a clumsy Finn and a blatant foul to score. That being said, MGP's goal in the first half shouldn't have been disallowed either. (neither the Wigan goal)

Not sure whether to be happy or a bit annoyed with the result, we could easily have lost. Now we have to win at least one, preferably two games away from home..

EDIT: Roberts should've been sent off btw, and Filan deserved a card for his timewasting.

Edited by herbergeehh

Rather poor performance, and in order to have a chance of fourth we needed to win this game. I fear that Arsenal will just run away with it now.

Very inconsistent performance from the referee however. I think both first half goals should have stood, but disallowing Wigan's goal was plain wrong, whereas Dickov *did* have his arm up even if it IMO wasn't enough to warrant a foul. And Kuqi's goal certainly shouldn't have been allowed. But we also had a few decisions against us, such as Baines' tackle on Bellamy inside the box and Roberts blatant elbow. Could have been a red.

I'll say it again; we were poor, very poor. Feels like sloppy passing in the final third lets us down, too many times do we have the ball in an avanced position and then just give it away. If we're to hold off Bolton for a UEFA Cup spot (As I don't think we can make the CL anymore with the way Arsenal have played recently) we need to improve. Fast.

Never been so happy with a point at Ewood since the Liverpool game that ended 2-2 with Grabbi scoring a few years ago.

Nelsen and Friedel was good today. Bellamy was decent. Neill, Bentley, MGP and Dickov was very very weak.

A shame Bellamy didnt score at end, how sweet that would be.. biggrin.gif

Just to put this in perspective before the doom and gloom kicks in; in the last two weeks Spurs have lost to Newcastle and Bolton to Boro. Those are both games that they should have won on paper and points that they will feel they let slip through their grasp at a crucial stage of the season. It happens to everyone.

Why are people so surprised - when teams play a similar game to what we do (i.e. quick closing down, denying space) we haven't the quality to take advantage of superior possession. However, I had a feeling that we may lose this match - and then get a win on the south coast (lets hope I am right).

Rather than criticise Rovers - lets give a little credit to Wigan.

It was important that we didn't lose - this makes it difficult for Wigan to catch us now - and also means that Bolton have to win both of their matches in hand to overtake us.

I am so disappointed tonight I cant be really bothered to make any full synopsis of the match.

So, instead, a few questions.

1. Why no Emerton ? Despite it being a derby match the right wing was where everything was coming from.

2. Why bother with Dickov ? A totally inept performance.

3. Despite his goal, Kuqio will never be a premiership player so again why bother ?

4. How bad did the midfield get in the first 20 minutes on the second half ?

5. Why cant Emerton take a leaf out of Reidy's book and learn just how to cross a ball ?

6. How can a donkey such as Kavanagh, outrun and out muscle the midfield of Tugay and Savage ?

7. Just how poor a support do wigon have ? Easily the worst set of supporters I have ever seen at Ewood Park.

8. When will Rovers learn that an easy ball is a far better option than fannying around with poncy flicks ?

Rovers got a get out of jail free card tonight and played that card. It leaves Bolton in a position to knock us out of 6th spot with their games in hand and that is rather worrying, especially after how well we have played of late sad.gif

On Saturday, we may just see what this Rovers team is made off cause believe me, they will have to be up for it for the whole 90 minutes, not just the last 10 blink.gif

as we move up in the table, the expections are going to get higher and harder, For me todate we are just about a top six side.

As MH as stated, to move on to the next level will mean getting new players and these will not be easy or cheap to buy.

In order to do this some of our better players who we have cover for might well be sold and one such player is MPG. He is a good player, but he fades in and out of games and as such if we can get the right money for him, them a deal could be done.

On tonight show a apart from CB our forwards are some what limited and this needs to change in the summer, still for me a point won because I thought we were never going to score, and a draw keeps it all boiling nicley tongue.gif

i must have been watching hte wrong channel - sparky said we'd dominated the 2nd half.

We dominated the first and last 20 minutes of the game sparky and were lucky to win. To which im truley grateful but we were @#/? for large parts of the game, and more so when Reid moved to the wing when tugs came on. I think emo for bentley would have been better, or Peter even

1. Why no Emerton ? Despite it being a derby match the right wing was where everything was coming from.

2. Why bother with Dickov ? A totally inept performance.

3. Despite his goal, Kuqio will never be a premiership player so again why bother ?

4. How bad did the midfield get in the first 20 minutes on the second half ?

5. Why cant Emerton take a leaf out of Reidy's book and learn just how to cross a ball ?

6. How can a donkey such as Kavanagh, outrun and out muscle the midfield of Tugay and Savage ?

396164[/snapback]

1. Agree, but we should have started with Reid on the right and Sav and Tugay in the centre. Bentley has had one brilliant game for us, the rest has been pretty poor.

2. Hughes wanted fighters out there today, but no-one showed up really. Hope Pongoll is ready for the Pompey game.

3. Kuqi is pure rubbish, hopefully we can get £500k for him in the summer

4. It was shocking!

5. Didnt see that many great crosses to be honest, maybe because there was noone in the box?

6. No idea

We just wasnt up to it today, but to get a point on such a rubbish day, worst performance of the season?, is very pleasing.

I'd say that was a very dissapointing result, but I guessed it was coming. We caught Wigan at a good time at New Years, they were pretty much exhausted, which negates their style of play. On the balance of it we deserved to lose that game, we created nothing and struggled with their set pieces. I could go on about how poor certain people played, but I won't. On the plus side a point is a point and Kuqi scored another goal (no swan dive tonight though sad.gif ).

The referee lost control of that game early on, allowing Wigan to pretty much foul at will without fear of punishment. We're clearly three or four starting players from being a perennial European team, hopefully Sparky is given the funds to go out and get them.

LOL just saw Jordan / Orvill being interviewed on the Sky build-up but he seemed sober  laugh.gif

396124[/snapback]

That was quite scary - I hadn't seen Jordan sober since we were in Sofia.

It was even more scary hearing stuwilky's dulcit tones quite cleary blaring forth from my left channel speaker just into the second half, trying to start a chant of "Mark Hughes' blue and white army"

Did Sky plant mics in front of you Stu? Actually I know they didn't - you just have strange lung power tongue.gifohmy.gif

Well, it feels like we've won tonight with that late goal, so Im happy!

Draw was probably a fair result(we should have been 1-0 up with MGP's goal).

Yes, we are all quite disapointed with only a point, but we will probably pick up at least 1 unexpected win before the end of the season.

Btw- i felt the drummers gave the Blackburn End a chance to sing tonight, but they failed to take it!

an overall poor display. the summary given by jim said it in a nutshell.

kuqi is discustingly awful.

we will need a much improved display for saturday at portsmouth, (another game that is live on foxsports). i don't know why he started with dickov anyway....for me in the summer kuqi and dickov out keep pongo and buy another striker.

Third home game in succession where Rovers have had great luck in getting something out of the game. Away performances have been poor - Spurs apart - and something much better will be required to take anything from Pompey. Tugay looks shot - even coming on lete he gave away the ball for fun. A contract too far. Likewise Dickov. Reid not a Man Utd quality player on tonight's showing - but glad to take £6m - if they offer such a silly price for a player in the last year of a contract. Bentley - what does he offer, what has done since the Utd game? I fear a dose of realism is overdue.

Lets face it our position in the league far out weighs our current playing form, Mark Hughes has worked wonders with the squad but at this level the cracks are beginning to show. We've got two forwards out there who wouldn't set the Championship on fire ( Bentley and Dickov), why we gave Bentley a contract God only knows, he'll always be a lightweight who flatters to deceive. Pedersen is Pedersen, only ever gets involved when somebody actually gives him the ball.

Against a hard working four in midfield we are never going to dominate , we've only got two and two halves.The players we have got in the main are not top six players so lets stop kidding ourselves.

Massive game at Pompey next up, this is a game we've GOT to be up for, no excuses , we cannot lose this one and be realistically talking about Europe. When people wonder why Rovers fans are cynical it's games like this that provide the answers, we can't expect wins every game but we have a right to expect performances.

• Backroom

What annoyed me more than anything was the fact that despite having two small attackers against their towering central defenders... we insisted on lumping the ball in the air.... school-boy stuff!!! we were never going to win any of that and what happens? yep, it comes straight back at us!!! mad.gif

When are we ever going to learn!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.