• Martin O'Neill
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Luiz Felipe 'Big Phil' Scolari
    • Fabio Capello
    • Lee Grooby
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

Nolan has been excellent this season and deserves a chance in the squad.

Big Sam has been excellent for Bolton. Who'd have thought that when he went there he'd make the Trotters residents in the top part of the table and challenging for a Champions League place, especially seeing as Bolton were debt-ridden when he took over.

Personally I'd think he'd do a good job as England coach, especially with Pearce alongside as Assistant. It'd also have the added bonus of giving a severe knock to the ambitions of our friendly rivals from Horwich.

Out of the English managers Big Sam with Pearce is about the best option.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nolan has been excellent this season and deserves a chance in the squad.

Big Sam has been excellent for Bolton. Who'd have thought that when he went there he'd make the Trotters residents in the top part of the table and challenging for a Champions League place, especially seeing as Bolton were debt-ridden when he took over.

Personally I'd think he'd do a good job as England coach, especially with Pearce alongside as Assistant. It'd also have the added bonus of giving a severe knock to the ambitions of our friendly rivals from Horwich.

Out of the English managers Big Sam with Pearce is about the best option.

394419[/snapback]

Completely agree with that.

As for Sven, he's doing a decidedly average job with by far our best group of players since 1970. I'm with the "we only need someone to motivate and get the best out of them camp."

He's there for the very same reason you have just posted. You say the players need 'motivating'  Well Keegan was the ultimate man manager and motivator but look where that got us.

The England team are their for pride - not money. Owen, Rooney, Neville, Lampard, Gerrard - none of those guys are just doing it for the money - they love football.

They need expert analysis so that the manager can put right what is going wrong on the pitch. They need someone to read the game and be able to make quick clear instructions.

394305[/snapback]

the same reason why i have chosen keagan, he knows the job, loves football and can fill the gap before pearce is experienced enough to take charge.

im sure keagan would love it! laugh.gif

Peter Taylor.

If you saw the way Hull City play week in week out, you would scream at the thought of him managing the senior national side. A lot of my mates at sixth form are all season ticket holders there and they all tell me he is such a negative manager, isn't a fan of attacking football and plays a very defensive smash and grab game. They did it that way to get two successive promotions from divisions they should have never been in. Adam Pearson is the man that has got City were they are, his money has done it, not Taylor's managerial skills.

There is a large contingent of Hull City fans that want Taylor sacked and my opinion is if you are not good enough for Hull City, your definately not god enough for England.

Ray-Von and Exiled; I don't quite understand why "tossers at club level" mean that you can't cheer for your country. The Rovers interest is also a bit strange too. It is your country you should stick up for them whoever plays. I'll wager that 2 short years ago Craig Bellamy and Robbie Savage were two of the league's biggest "tossers" in your eyes.

Maybe because I live abroad I have an enhanced sense of patriotism toward my country but your views confuse me.

394240[/snapback]

Like I said in my orginal post, the national team just doesnt interest me. Its the day to day intensity of the club game that sparks me. You can't swap banter on a day to day basis with international fans, the hype surrounding the England team annoys me immensley as does the big club/London bias towards selection.

Call me unpatriotic, but I don't see the logic in giving dogs abuse to the likes of Neville, Beckham and Terry, (who have all slighted my club in some way in the past) and then cheering them on when they play for England.

Yeah I also think that if giving the job to big Sam means giving Nolan a chance to play for England then all the more reason to give Sam the job. Nolan deserves a shot in an underperforming England central midifeld and it's Sven's failure not to have given it to him.

edit: the style of player Nolan is, he could play with either Gerrard or Lampard.

Edited by roverich

• 2 weeks later...

BBC is reporting that its now between McClaren and O'Neill....i would go for O'Neill personally....but if this is true i think the F.A have just about got it right....for once!

Also reports that sponsors want guarantees that Becks will remain as captain.....lets hope the F.A stand firm because if i was the next manager the first thing i would do would be to drop that over rated primadonna!

BBC is reporting that its now between McClaren and O'Neill....i would go for O'Neill personally....but if this is true i think the F.A have just about got it right....for once!

398666[/snapback]

McClaren still doesn't convince me. A run of decent form in the cups doesn't make you the top man for the job IMO. I wanted Allardyce but if that isn't possible O'Neill's the man for me.

I voted for someone else. I'd prefer that we look for a top foreign manager (ooh, controversial). One with plenty more balls than gutless Sven though. If England had a man I thought had the calibre for the job, then I'd take them. But the only candidate mentioned who I think might come close is Fat Sam, and frankly, the man irritates me so much I can't even begin to consider that possibility.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I don't give two hoots whether the manager is English. He isn't part of the playing squad. How far do we take this insistance on being English? Should the kit man be English too? There's a reason there are no limitations on the nationality of the managers of the national teams. FIFA don't feel it matters anyway. I'm also not averse to exploiting the loopholes that have shown up in the rules to get essentially foreign players into the national team. Did anybody have a problem with Lennox Lewis winning an olympic gold, and the world heavyweight title for us?

The fact is we already have a one hundred percent English team, and with that, I want us to win the World Cup. If we win it with a foreign manager, its not like people are gonna say things like 'oh, Italy won the world cup, not you' if we have an Italian manager.

Also reports that sponsors want guarantees that Becks will remain as captain.....lets hope the F.A stand firm because if i was the next manager the first thing i would do would be to drop that over rated primadonna!

398666[/snapback]

Should be no guarantees. Although if the FA were to appoint a yes man in charge . . .

Edited by Ronin

398666[/snapback]

It would be outrageous if the manager was affected on a tactical level by sponsors, absolutely unforgivable.

That said I would say that Becks is playing quite well at the moment while the heir apparent, Sean Wright Phillips, is barely getting a game.

The only way our Dave could lose his place is if Gerrard plays on the right, which I think is unlikely.

Pearce has done stuff all as Man Citeh manager. They're in the same sort of position they were before he took over. People are really basing his suitability on his 'passion' as expressed by ranting like a lunatic on the touchline. Stuart Pearce would be another Kevin Keegan if he took over.

I think the team more or less picks itself, or at least the press does, so we need someone with motivational skills. That for me isn't McLaren.

My preferences in order,

O'Neill

Pearce

Fat Sam

Curbs

McLaren

If Allardyce becomes England manager I don't think I will be able to watch an England game. To see his massive head chewing gum with a headset on everytime international football comes around would just be too much for me.

If Allardyce becomes England manager I don't think I will be able to watch an England game. To see his massive head chewing gum with a headset on everytime international football comes around would just be too much for me.

398951[/snapback]

If Curbishley became the manager, I wouldnt watch because every game would finish 0-0. wink.gif

You're funny.

399007[/snapback]

Yes, about as funny as sacking the manager when he has created the best team that we have had for years.

It's quite good in a way though. I have always said Sven was the man for the job, and I guess we will see when the new manager comes in.

We will see how "rubbish" Sven was.

Remember the last time we played on German soil we won 5-1.

In 2002 we were playing in 40c heat with the clocks back to front, with our captain playing with a broken foot. Beaten by Brazil (who incidentally love playing in the heat)

In 2004 we were knocked out against the home team, who decided to break our best players foot early in the game. We also had a valid goal disallowed at the end of extra time.

And yes, we do need a new manager because we dont play "gung-ho" enough.

Give me a ****ing break mad.gif

Edited by BuckyRover

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.