• Martin O'Neill
    • Alan Curbishley
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Luiz Felipe 'Big Phil' Scolari
    • Fabio Capello
    • Lee Grooby
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

Yes, about as funny as sacking the manager when he has created the best team that we have had for years.

Sven has not created the team. These players have fallen in to his lap due to the work put in by club managers. He is in the right place at the right time and any one of us could pick the team. The rest is about motivation where he falls down big time and then tactics. England v 10 man Brazil anyone? Can`t wait till the slimey git goes.

As for the new gaffer, Pearce, Curbishley, Allardyce are all used to scapping away with average players using the appropriate tactics. Could they adapt to working with world class players and changing the approach they have been used to tactic wise overnight.

McLaren is in a similar boat at Boro but has been on board with England so knows the ropes but still does not fill me with confidence.

I would love O`neill to do it but he seems tied up with family commitments. Its a toughie.

Allardyce.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sven has not created the team. These players have fallen in to his lap due to the work put in by club managers. He is in the right place at the right time and any one of us could pick the team. The rest is about motivation where he falls down big time and then tactics. England v 10 man Brazil anyone? Can`t wait till the slimey git goes.

As for the new gaffer, Pearce, Curbishley, Allardyce are all used to scapping away with average players using the appropriate tactics. Could they adapt to working with world class players and changing the approach they have been used to tactic wise overnight.

McLaren is in a similar boat at Boro but has been on board with England so knows the ropes but still does not fill me with confidence.

I would love O`neill to do it but he seems tied up with family commitments. Its a toughie.

Allardyce.

399031[/snapback]

Ok fair enough. So why did Keegan get sacked then?

He was the motivator, the man who really knew how to motivate players.

How can you say its nothing to do with Sven. Everyone said Rooney was too young, yet Sven picked him.

He gets no credit for anything he does.

He is the one that has picked and moulded this team over the last 5 years. Anybody who thinks his influence is merely motivating your wrong.

What a coincidence that we appoint a top quality foreign manager and coincidently at the same time our whole team turns world class.

Who made Rooney world class?

The interesting thing which has to be considered in my opinion is the main objectives of the FA's goals with this manager.

May seem stupid but bear (Ggggrrrrrrrrrrr) with this....

IF the FA want to win Euro 2008, they have to appoint a British manager, basically Martin O'Neill, as no England team is going to win anything playing any style but English football. Getting in MO'N would ensure the current England squad has a last hoorah, ala the French in 2000, but I feel he would struggle after this to rebuild in time to mount a serious challenge in the 2010 World Cup.

If the FA want to win World Cup 2010, then foreign it is, and my choice would be Carlos Alberto. Like with Sven, any foreigner will have to incorporate their style with that of English footballs. This can't be done in a short period, and it may be that we'd have to write off Euro 2008 whilst a team is built in the new managers image.

Seems simplistic, and in written terms I can't be arsed going any deeper, as I don't have the patience to type out all my thoughts.

But basically I think if we win the World Cup this summer, we should go foreign and give ourselves the best chance to defend it, but if we don't win it, get in MO'N and go all out for the euros.

Who made Rooney world class?

399034[/snapback]

Wayne Rooney perhaps? or maybe training with some of the best players and coaching staff in the world day in day out at Utd has something to do with it?!

Edited by cn_barlow

I think Sven can take some credit for what Rooney has achieved, not the main figure but he has certainly played a part.

Also, people are harsh on Sven saying this team fell into place and anyone can do it, it obviously isn't true. As for the England team only being able to win playing British football I totally disagree. Most of the players playing in the England squad don't play British football at club level really, even if they do we are talking about World Class players, surely their ability doesn't limit them to the "British" style.

Sven has been hard done by in my opinion. He has made some mistakes both on and off of the pitch but overall he has done a good job. England are going into this World Cup as second favourites and that is behind a Brazil team many consider to be one of the best ever (I disagree, but it is the common thought). That in itself says a lot about the current team and what the manager has done with the squad. You may well say look at the squad of players he has there, but then there are a lot of top nations with a similar glut of quality players, it is what being a top footballing nation is all about. I do wonder what will happen if England win the World Cup, surely we can't take Sven back, but surely we can't let the manger who won our first trophy in 40 years simply walk away from the job?

By British football, I mean Premiership style football.

You would never see any nation play any style other than that which they are taught from a young age.

Brazil never play a ''Spanish'' or ''Italian'' style, Italy never play ''English'' football, Germany never play like Brazil.

My choice is Carlos Alberto, and he isn't going to come in and make our national team play like Brazil. He will need time to adapt to the style our players naturally play, and then introduce his methods and styles to try and blend together his ideas with our natural game.

WOE WOE and thrice WOE!.................AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH.............ohmy.gif

We're all doomed I tell ye......Doomed!

BBC breakfast news are reporting Maclaren as being favourite!!!!:angry:

Please let it just be an FA ruse to throw the press off the scent. sad.gif

Edited by thenodrog

If Sam Allardyce gets the England job I'm leaving the country.

Give it Steve McLaren. He knows the current England set up and the players inside out. He's worked with the best (Fergie and Man U) he's English, has as much if not more experience as any of the other candidates and would be able to command respect from the top players.

He may not be doing especially well for Middlesbrough in the league right now but he's awesome in knock out football and we're going to win the World Cup anyway so he'll be under no pressure to acheive great things as we'll have already done it.

394204[/snapback]

My choice has always been Steve McClaren and it still is. I would make a guess that he's got the job already and the FA are keeping quiet about it so as not to take Middlesbrough's and McClaren's mind away from their involvement in the FA and UEFA Cup.

How else do you explain Bolton's, Charlton's and City's ###### poor form of late whereas Boro have been awesome. The other three are all sweating as to whether they'll get it or not but McClaren knows he's already got it so is not feeling the pressure. If you watched his performance in the interview after they beat Charlton in the cup, he was like a politician in the way he handled the questions so he definitely has something to hide!

One other manager who has never been mentioned at all though is Alan Pardew. He's currently the highest placed English manager in the league and has done wonders with West Ham this year, made some top signings and he plays very exciting, attractive football.

I'd sooner have him as manager over Allardyce, Curbishley or Pearce any day of the week. Ultimately though, McClaren has already got the job, mark my words and it will be announced after the UEFA Cup final.

The papers today suggest it is McClarens job. I think this is disastrous. I remember the euphoria after Italia 90 which was punctured when Taylor was announced as the England boss - I feel the same now if it is McClaren. He's been at Boro for 5 years - he must have spent more than any club outside the big 4 (and probably more than Arsenal) and they are wallowing in the premiership and they are deadly dull to watch - even with the attacking talent they have had at their disposal. A big, big mistake in my opinion.

I've been reading more about Scolari getting the job, he's a good candidate in my opinion. If you want a man with good international experience and who knows what it takes in big competitions then there are few better. If you could get him in with a good English assistant, one of the lost of McClaren, Curbishley or Pierce (probably best to keep McClaren on if he would) then I think that would be a great solution.

For me it is a dangerous game to play when you are going to use the international arena to make your manager. McClaren and Pierce and even Curbishley, despite all having been involved in the game for years, have still to develop at the top level and haven't even managed major club sides, you're asking an unknown to step up to the plate and with a job like the England position I don't know if that is the greatest idea if it can be avoided.

Have I missed something? Steve McClaren isn't even on the list of possible managers...

I can't say I'm especially excited about any of the possible England managers, but if I had to choose, I'd go for Stuart Pearce. He is the only contender with any kind of passion; a man who wears his heart on his sleeve and will demand the best of this bunch of over paid morons.

However, he isn't really a realistic option with his limited managerial experience. Therefore, I'd go for McClaren. He has the respect of the England first team and experience with teh current set up and has a very decent record at Middlesbrough.

At first I didn't want him as manager, but looking at the alternatives, he's gone to to the top of my list. I just don't want another foreign manager.

Edited by tcj_jones

I don't know exactly. I just don't think that a foreign manager understands just how passionate a support we have and could never fully appreciate the honour of managing the national team. With Erikkson it just seemed like another job and another huge salary.

Sorry TCJ, I don't see how anyone can seriously champion Stuart Pearce for the job.

401000[/snapback]

I know what you mean. I think Pearce should get rthe job because he is the best personality for the job; a man who will demand the best and damned well get it. He will feel every defeat and relish ever victory. I would say he has done a very good job at city. If they hadnt have gone on this horrible run of form, I'd say people would probably consider him a slightly more credible option. I would risk giving Pearce the job on his limited managerial experience over somebody like McClaren for these reasons.

In any case, I think he is a very tactically astute manager, certainly more so than Erikkson.

However, you'll see that I said that I don't consider Pearce a realistic option.

I know what you mean.  I think Pearce should get rthe job because he is the best personality for the job; a man who will demand the best and damned well get it.  He will feel every defeat and relish ever victory.  I would say he has done a very good job at city.  If they hadnt have gone on this horrible run of form, I'd say people would probably consider him a slightly more credible option.  I would risk giving Pearce the job on his limited managerial experience over somebody like McClaren for these reasons. 

In any case, I think he is a very tactically astute manager, certainly more so than Erikkson.

However, you'll see that I said that I don't consider Pearce a realistic option.

401006[/snapback]

Take your point, but didn't people say the same thing about Kevin Keegan and his tub-thumping?

Quite a few City fans at work would gladly see the back of Pearce at the moment. Mind you, they did the same to Peter Reid after three games into a season.

I don't know exactly.  I just don't think that a foreign manager understands just how passionate a support we have and could never fully appreciate the honour of managing the national team.  With Erikkson it just seemed like another job and another huge salary.

401003[/snapback]

I don't think so, if that were true I don't think he would put up with the crap that he has for so long, everyone in football knows just what a big job it is and the passion of the fans is famous around the world. I just don't think the national team plays British football, doesn't even have British players (in style I mean), so why do we have to go back to the old British manager? Best man for the job I say, for me that isn't an Englishman. If Scolari or Hiddink were English then no one would be talking about anyone else, forget where they are from.

I think the 5million a year salary or whatever he is on is more than enough reason for putting up with the "crap" he's been getting. If you're talking about exposure for affairs and for talking to fake sheikhs about leaving the England job for more money, then I wouldn't agree. If you're talking about criticism for poor tactics then I also think that that is warranted.

Yes, I'm looking at the poll right now and there's no McClaren on the list...  I thought he was the favourite for the job?

400998[/snapback]

Sorry - my mistake. I thought you meant you didn't know he was on the list (i.e. the FA list) rather than the poll list

My view - and it saddens me - is that there is not a qualified Englishman for the job. And whilst certain English managers have done well, overachieiving in a low-expectation, relatively low-pressure environment does not qualify you for the pressure and expectation of managing England.

If you widen it to British then perhaps you have a couple but no more. So we either go for the best manager for the job or we tie one hand up our backs and go for the best Englishman - but if we do that then the press need to give him some slack (which they won't).

For me, the best candidate is Arsene Wenger and the FA should pull out all the stops to get him. Of course, David Dein (or indeed any of the top clubs) would never allow that - hence you get a short-list from the next tier of clubs.

IMHO of course biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.