• Lee Grooby
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

It's the job noone wants.

Peter Noone.

401051[/snapback]

laugh.gif

my worst fears are (it seems) about to be realised. steve mcc. ohmy.gif

teams mirror their managers - his team is as dull and boring as he is.

he's been extremely lucky to survive the chop on several occasions.

compare the cash spent to success aquired and it's nothing spectacular (like the man himself).

i'm hoping that it's a media smokescreen, so o'neills odd lengthen, and the people in the knw (journo's and FA bigwigs) can make a fast buck!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant email in todays "Fiver"

"If - as Steve McClaren's inclusion on the FA's short list implies - no discernable managerial ability, big teeth and a stubborn reluctance to go properly bald are desirable qualities for an England manager, why hasn't Barry Gibb been contacted?"

Class laugh.gif

I wonder who would be championing maclaren if Boro's season had been reversed?

I dont care what people say Boro have underperformed given the money they have spent. Why? Because the man is not a motivator he is a de-motivator. He even dulls my senses and couldn't motivate a cub scout team. mad.gif

Edited by thenodrog

I wonder who would be championing maclaren if Boro's season had been reversed?

I dont care what people say Boro have underperformed given the money they have spent.  Why?  Because the man is not a motivator he is a de-motivator.  He even dulls my senses and couldn't motivate a cub scout team. mad.gif

401111[/snapback]

I cannot see hopw the FA could appoint McClaren. An average manager, little public support, over spent. If he does get it then we have to wonder how much being mates with many inside the FA plays into it.

How can we have so many good players but so many average managers? Every other major footballing nation has quality in coaching roles.

That's a really good point, all of the managers have been mild manered over the last twenty years, even Keegan who would try and get worked up but was hardly fiery.

The one exception would be Venables, and the FA disliked that appointment from the word go.

I suppose it is from a desire to avoid contraversy, and thus attacks upon their jobs if something goes wrong.

Big Sam is the kind of guy who has no problems sounding off...

12th, 11th, 11th and 7th.  FA cup semi, WON the League Cup, so far Uefa Cup semi.  Not a bad record for a premier league manager at an unfashionable club - but not good enough for England.  We need to be inspired...

401216[/snapback]

Actually, its a terrible performance when you consider the transfer money spent and a wage bill getting on for twice that of Rovers.

If McLaren is appointed, it will only because the FA are a bunch of pansies who want their egos stroked whilst confirming their total ignorance of world football. Apart from that, it would be a poor appointment.

McClaren will probably get it in the face of overwhelming public opposition because he is seen as the "safe" option by the FA.

Sadly it's always been the way with the FA. Can't help thinking this reminds me of the 70's when "Uncle" Ron Greenwood got the job despite Clough being the only logical choice. Years of failure followed.

Albeit there is no such outstanding candidate this time round.

EDIT: Oops sorry Billy almost exactly what you said. ph34r.gif

Edited by RevidgeBlue

12th, 11th, 11th and 7th.  FA cup semi, WON the League Cup, so far Uefa Cup semi.  Not a bad record for a premier league manager at an unfashionable club - but not good enough for England.  We need to be inspired...

401216[/snapback]

Let's just say the Irish, Scottish and Welsh would be happy.

That record isn't much better than Souness' with us and he got run out of town.

From today's Daily Telegraph:

"If Steve McClaren leaves Middlesbrough the club will turn to Martin O'Neill, Paul Jewell or Mark Hughes". (Daily Telegraph)

401166[/snapback]

That would be a move sideways if ever there was one. He would get more cash than he gets here but to be honest he might as well wait for a bigger club. Newcastle is the club to worry about at the minute.

Actually, its a terrible performance when you consider the transfer money spent and a wage bill getting on for twice that of Rovers.

If McLaren is appointed, it will only because the FA are a bunch of pansies who want their egos stroked whilst confirming their total ignorance of world football. Apart from that, it would be a poor appointment.

401309[/snapback]

You're right of course when you factor in the amount he's spent which must be nearing big 4 levels. But we agree on the main point which is he ain't good enough for England and it certainly takes me back to Taylor's appointment...

Edited by RovertheHill

12th, 11th, 11th and 7th.  FA cup semi.

McClaren has recently been boasting to the media about his record - and the fact that he reached an FA Cup semi. Big wow - Bryan Robson reached an FA Cup final with 'Boro, but nobody would tout him for the England job.

'Boro lost in their FA Cup semi today, but no doubt McClaren would still try and claim that as a success.

The fact is that McClaren's league record with 'Boro is medicore to say the least. Indeed this season they have gone backwards in terms of their Premiership position. A lot of pundits felt they could finish in the top 6 this season, but they're currently lying in the bottom half of the table - doing considerably worse in the Premiership than last season.

They've had some truly shocking results this season - losing 4-0 at home to Aston Villa and thrashed 7-0 by Arsenal.

His Match of the Day interview after that 7-0 defeat was priceless. If you were expecting him to be embarrassed by the horrendous defensive display and apologetic towards the 'Boro supporters who had travelled hundreds of miles down to London, then you'd be mistaken. Instead, McClaren had the cheek to claim the result was "a good experience for the players to learn from".

Since when has losing 7-0 been a good bloody experience? Did McClaren tell his players beforehand: "Go out and lose 7-0. It will be a good experience for you."

His brazen cheek in the aftermath of such a shocking defensive display was staggering. McClaren would make a good spin doctor. Give him the latest crime figures showing there's been an increase in crime and McClaren would try and turn it into a success.

I fear for him as England manager. I really do. You could just imagine him after England lost badly in the World Cup and at the press conference afterwards, McClaren would be saying: "This was a good experience for the lads and one they'll always remember."

For the money that Steve McClaren has spent at Middlesbrough - £8m on Maccarone and £7.5m on Yakubu, for example, the club should be doing better in the Premiership than they are at the moment.

I suspect McClaren is another Brian Kidd. A decent coach and a decent guy - but not cut out for management at the highest level. A safe (and dull) pair of hands who won't rock the boat or take the tough decisions needed. I don't think he'd have the balls to take the captaincy away from Beckham.

Lest we forget that just a couple of months ago, 'Boro supporters wanted him sacked after becoming sick to the back teeth of his tactics and of the players lack of commitment on the pitch. One fan memorably tore up his season ticket and threw it in front of the statuesque McClaren.

If he gets the England job, he could end up ridiculed like Graham Taylor.

Southgate says McClaren isn't ready

When even the man who McClaren appointed as club captain says that Steve isn't ready for the England manager's job, then alarm bells should be ringing.

Southgate is a man who has played for England with McClaren as a coach under Sven. Gareth has seen at first-hand what McClaren can do with 'Boro and with England - and he feels that he isn't the right man for the job.

Will the bigwigs at the FA take any note of what Southgate said?

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Could be the FA are using trial by media to make their decision. After allowing O'Neill, Allardyce, Curbishley and McLaren to be ravaged by the press as the reported likely choice, it appears to be Scolari's turn today.

Only Hiddink and Scolari are serious candidates in my opinion and for some reason they didn't take Hiddink seriously.

Only Hiddink and Scolari are serious candidates in my opinion and for some reason they didn't take Hiddink seriously.

401575[/snapback]

Hiddink has signed for Russia.

It'll be McClaren because he is meek and suberviant enough to get on with the FA, and is already in the loop with his work with Sven. Think 'Brian Clough' for reasons why big Phil or even big fat Sam won't get the job.

FA officials are in Lisbon tonight with a view to offering the England job to Scolari.

The governing body have certainly not taken the easy option this time - watch out for a massive anti-Scolari reaction from the press and leading figures in English football.

Has my full support.

Top jobs should be decided on CV's, not nationality or (cringe) 'passion.'

Scolaris' CV is second to none as far as this level of football goes, and even domstically back in Brazil it is top notch.

the was going to be negative press whoever the next guy was....thats the nature of the English press unfortunately! If we get him i think its a pretty big coup.....and i would be genuinely excited for the future!

Which is not how i would feel if it was given to McClaren!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.