• Kevin Keegan
    • Luiz Felipe 'Big Phil' Scolari
    • Fabio Capello
    • Lee Grooby
    • Someone else

This poll is closed to new votes

Has my full support.

Top jobs should be decided on CV's, not nationality or (cringe) 'passion.'

Scolaris' CV is second to none as far as this level of football goes, and even domstically back in Brazil it is top notch.

402493[/snapback]

Absolutely spot on, Shil. IMO, Scolari is the best man for the job. Far more confidence-inspiring than McClaren.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an absolute gold mine for the tabloids. 'Big Phil' Scolari, a right old character! I would bet my bottom dollar on a two year love affair and then a swift kicking delivered after we don't win the Euros in 2008. Ha!

He is also, if I remember correctly, a conservative tactician too, despite being Brazilian. I rememebr him saying in 2002 that the team needed to play more like England or something to that effect!

That said he has more balls, and has to be more creative than Eriksson in terms of formations and player choices. And he has reached two international finals and won one so that has to be good!

The only thing that rankles I suppose is why didn't we go for Hiddink when he was available? I presumed it was because we were sticking to British? I assume O'Niel must of turned dwn the job in the last week or so or something.

The only thing that rankles I suppose is why didn't we go for Hiddink when he was available?

402554[/snapback]

Probably because Scolari has a better international management record than Hiddink or just about anyone really.

Already having managed Brazil and Portugal however he is hardly going to be viewed as 'one of us'. Mind you, Kevin Keegan was seen that way and look how he did...

it's all over the news this morning, the guy has the best cv and even though he is not english, at the moment he is the best man for the job.

i feel abit sorry for curbs, fat sam etc. but the bottom line is that they just ain't good enough which is a really sad thing to say.

scolai has not accepted the deal yet, i beleve he didn't want to be approached until afer the world cup, due to the portuguese public, i mean he's leading portugal into the world cup, they are undefeated in the qualifiers, all he wants is some space to finish the job there first.

i wouldn't be surprised if scolari turned around and said no to the fa.

Funny that the players have to be english to represent England, but the man running the show can be from anywhere. Still, looking at the English alternatives, Gene Hackman should definitely get the job.

McClaren's post match interviews are so hopelessly 'staged' it's untrue. Allardyce shoots his mouth off to quickly and would look ridiculous in front of the world's press.... Mike Bassett anyone ?

Funny that the players have to be english to represent England, but the man running the show can be from anywhere. Still, looking at the English alternatives, Gene Hackman should definitely get the job.

McClaren's post match interviews are so hopelessly 'staged' it's untrue. Allardyce shoots his mouth off to quickly and would look ridiculous in front of the world's press.... Mike Bassett anyone ?

402602[/snapback]

gene hackman... laugh.gif like it.

'big phil' is the only creditable candidate (o'neil obviously isnt interested). his cv is excellent, he's a strong character and (whereas sven shyed away from making tough decisions) he thrives on risk- taking. he dropped a 13M rated right-back and subbed figo, in the euros, showing he doesnt stand on ceramony/ reputation.

**beckham will still be picked tho- the fa rake in too much from sponsorship to even consider dropping him.

looks like my prediction of mcc being a 'red herring' wasnt too far off the mark.

i hope they spend their winnings wisely.

Edited by pleasure

O'Neill's record isn't a patch on that of Scolari.

World Cup winner and European Championship runners-up vs. 'devalued Uefa Cup' finalists.

O'Neill is a good manager but to be a great one you surely have to win the biggest prizes in the game.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Scolari has my vote, top CV and has done the business at the highest level. Top Manager, but i heard a funny comment on his win as Brazillian coach and that was that even Stevie Wonder can have won the WC with that squad of Brazillians that he had.lol.

Actually come to think of it, it wasn't that funny.

I heard some negative comments on TalkSport yesterday afternoon about his tactics as Portugal manager like that he insists playing with one striker against any nation which has led to draws versus Lichenstein and Moldova and that he plays a very defensive game which with the players he has had at is disposal i cannot believe that.

Ignoring all that i would be very happy if he signed on the dotted line as England manager.

Anyone has to be better than Fat Sam, Martin O'Neil and Steve Mclaren.

Mike Bassett anyone ?

user posted image

My real first choice as England Manager. Managed everywhere in England and has led is in a WC already.

Does anybody know of an online bookies where I can bet on next England manager?

It seems most have suspended betting now that Scolari looks very likely to become manager, but I have a feeling he might turn the offer down. In any case, I was hoping I might get some very good odds betting on McClaren.

Does anybody know of an online bookies where I can bet on next England manager? 

It seems most have suspended betting now that Scolari looks very likely to become manager, but I have a feeling he might turn the offer down.  In any case, I was hoping I might get some very good odds betting on McClaren.

402641[/snapback]

blink.gif save your money! ;big phil's got the gig!

Top jobs should be decided on CV's, not nationality or (cringe) 'passion.'

402493[/snapback]

You would think so. Mark Hughes doesn't agree, though. It has to be the first time in memory where I don't agree with what he says.

"If he is the appointment that is going to be made, you have to say he ticks most of the boxes, but for my money it's another blow to British coaching," said Hughes. "A lot of the talk initially was that it would be an English or British coach, and I hoped that would be the case."

http://football365.com/news/story_183801.shtml

You would think so. Mark Hughes doesn't agree, though. It has to be the first time in memory where I don't agree with what he says.

"If he is the appointment that is going to be made, you have to say he ticks most of the boxes, but for my money it's another blow to British coaching," said Hughes. "A lot of the talk initially was that it would be an English or British coach, and I hoped that would be the case."

http://football365.com/news/story_183801.shtml

402680[/snapback]

He hasn't disagreed with my theory, he is simply saying he hoped the new manager would be English, as most people did.

Unfortunately, IMO, there are only to men who are English who are qualified...

Terry Venables and Bobby Robson.

Neither ever had a cat in hells chance.

To be fair I'm quite excited that England's getting Big Phil.

No one really stands out from the English based managers, I think that Sam's time will come eventually but he has to leave Bolton for a bigger club to prove his worth.

Stuart Pearce and Alan Shearer should be in line the nest time the job comes around.

THANK GOODNESS ALAN CURBISHLEY ISN'T GETTING THE JOB!

Mark Hughes believes the widely-expected appointment of Luiz Felipe Scolari as the new England manager represents a 'smack in the face' for English coaches.

Sorry Mark what about a smack in the face for the seven young british lads we have released from the academy this week in favour of no doubt more foreign players in the English game. !!!

If Bobby Robson wasn't quite so old, he would be my first choice.

I didn't know quite how impeccable Scolari's cv was. When you put his achievements next to Steve McClaren's, there really is no comparison.

I'm starting to come around to not having an English manager, but it's difficult after having a foreigner like Sven in charge.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.