SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Contract For Lucas?

den

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news been one of our best and most consistant performers for some time. One of the best right backs in the league and deserves to be paid what he's worth.

394337[/snapback]

And one of the prettier members of the squad too!! (I'm a girl- I'm allowed!!!)

wink.gif

Strange how Neill's form has improved in World Cup year. The LET says "long-term" deal but I understand it will be for as many as a further four years, which is far too long for an average player who will be 33 by the time the new deal expires.

Older players such as Neilll should be on one-year deals and have to prove each season that they are worth another one. With a four-year deal tucked into his overtailored trousers, Neill might well revert to the mistake-ridden comfort zone he has frequently inhabited in the past.

Strange how Neill's form has improved in World Cup year. The LET says "long-term" deal but I understand it will be for as many as a further four years, which is far too long for an average player who will be 33 by the time the new deal expires.

Older players such as Neilll should be on one-year deals and have to prove each season that they are worth another one. With a four-year deal tucked into his overtailored trousers, Neill might well revert to the mistake-ridden comfort zone he has frequently inhabited in the past.

394351[/snapback]

Yeah that's the spirit.

''Good player, sign a one year unsecure deal at Blackburn Rovers and prove yourself to that god damn massive club year by year like you should. And whilst your at it reject Boltons 4 year secure contract on the same wage.''

Progress Jim, that's what we all stand for. rolleyes.gif

Strange how Neill's form has improved in World Cup year.

I'm interested in what you implicate by suggesting this. Are you suggesting that he is on form in order to secure a place in the World Cup squad? Or perhaps that he is in form in order to be at his best in the World Cup? Or...?

Strange how Neill's form has improved in World Cup year.

394351[/snapback]

I'm interested in what you implicate by suggesting this. Are you suggesting that he is on form in order to secure a place in the World Cup squad? Or perhaps that he is in form in order to be at his best in the World Cup? Or...?

394376[/snapback]

Jim's not quite right but i have to feel he may be on the right track. Is it a coincidence that Neill did well for us his first season. Then he signed a long 4 year contract, played iffy for 3 years and then lo and behold he's in the last year of his contract and he's playing like a man possesed again. Make of it what you want but I am just a little bit suspicious.

We have to give Neill a new contract, otherwise we run the risk of him running down his old one and losing him for nothing at the end of it.

Other than that, good athlete, poor defender. I hope he has a decent World Cup so that someone is suckered into paying way over the odds for him.

5m or 6m for him and our money back for Emerton would get the transfer fund off to a cracking start.

1) The guy still has awful positioning and concentration lapses but I am struggling to think of right backs I would swap him for.

2) OK WC year, he's producing the goods- its down to our management to keep him producing.

3) Massive sign of confidence in Rovers all round if he signs a 4 year deal BEFORE Germany.

4) If he gets snaffled after a good WC, his transfer fee will be astronomical if he's signed the 4 year deal.

Excellent news - I struggle to think of a better right back in the Premiership at this moment in time. After all not many right backs are football genius are they ?

As for the accusations regarding World Cup year - though his play has improved this year - I put it down to better coaching of the whole defence, and better handling of individual players. I would also state, that no matter how well he has been playing, I don't think anyone can argue the commitment that he always puts in. Personally I find it a little insulting that anyone could argue that he is putting in more effort this year - because it just isn't true - just that the quality fo his play has gone onto another level (which for a defender does come to an extent with experience)

im well chuffed with this news, i just hope he will sign the deal before the world cup!

lucus neill "the football hooligan" has improved every season since he signed from millwall, more so this season with the new training staff though i think everyone has gone up a level or 2 since the hughes era began.

i wouldn't swap him for any other right back in the uk, he's been awsome this season and mr cool with the pens too.

I hope he signs, there is not another right back in the Premiership that can compare with him, he's a top player and players like him we need to keep to reach the next level.

There's not many right backs in the league I would swap him for. I don't think his form has been off for anything like three years - last season he was disappointing and the season before he perhaps struggled for consistency, but he has overall be a worthwhile signing. Worth an extended contract in any case.

We need him to sign really before the World Cup, if he leaves it until after he gets back and he has a excellent WC we could be losing him ery easily to a big club without getting a good fee for him.

Throughly deserved new contract imo as he has had a excellent season. As others have mentioned, hopefully we can sign him up before the w/cup in case he does something amazing out in Germany. Consistant, a hard tackler, and good at overlapping another one of Souness excellent signings (pls try and remember, it wasnt all bad).

Undoubtedly one of the most consistent and confident full backs in the league. He rarely has a bad game, even when everyone else underperforms he's usually the one who has given it his all! We have to get him signed up - he will be asking for considerably less than the likes of Gary Neville and I believe he's a better player! We could never find a replacement of the same calibre within our tight budget.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.