SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Contract For Lucas?

den

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Lucas' peformances have improved dramatically due to this being a World Cup year as was mentioned earlier in this post....

....what's Brett Emerton's excuse for his poor showings time and time again this season!!!

Edited by Esulx

....what's Brett Emerton's excuse for his poor showings time and time again this season!!!

394587[/snapback]

please don't get people started laugh.gif

fairplay to emerton though, since he was dropped out of the 16 i think it was the kick up the backside he needed. his performances of late have not been brilliant but they are improving.

fairplay to emerton though, since he was dropped out of the 16 i think it was the kick up the backside he needed. his performances of late have not been brilliant but they are improving.

394594[/snapback]

He's a finely tuned athlete, aiming to peak for the world cup blink.gif

Edited by AggyBlue

I suppose I'm happy about this development, but he's still doesn't fill me with confidence at right back, though he has markedly improved under Hughes. I'd prefer a solider defender, one with superior positional defence, but Neill brings that physicality that Hughes loves - athleticism, speed, strength, aggression, stamina - and we'd miss his forward runs greatly.

I suppose I'm happy about this development, but he's still doesn't fill me with confidence at right back, though he has markedly improved under Hughes. I'd prefer a solider defender, one with superior positional defence, but Neill brings that physicality that Hughes loves - athleticism, speed, strength, aggression, stamina - and we'd miss his forward runs greatly.

394638[/snapback]

I'm not sure I get that to be honest. This season his positional sense has seemed decent to me, certainly not any worse than that of the other RBs in the Prem.

I do recognise what your saying about Sparky liking him. I would guess if Hughes moved tomorrow (Heaven Forbid!) the players he would be looking to take with him would be Nelsen, Niell, Savage and Bellamy.

I'm not sure that Neill will extend his contract. IMO JW has left it too late for a player who is likely to be in some demand. Likewise with Reid and Emerton (altough the latter would be no loss) not to mention MH. Seems to me JW stalled until a place in next season's Prem was assured. This ultra-cautious approach will have backfired if some (or Heaven forbid) all of these extensions don't happen.

I'm not sure that Neill will extend his contract. IMO JW has left it too late for a player who is likely to be in some demand. Likewise with Reid and Emerton (altough the latter would be no loss) not to mention MH. Seems to me JW stalled until a place in next season's Prem was assured. This ultra-cautious approach will have backfired if some (or Heaven forbid) all of these extensions don't happen.

394683[/snapback]

It's being so cheerful that keeps you going is it Allan?

• 5 months later...

Well...Lucas never did sign that contract extension after all...

Here is what 'The Fiver' the free email from The Guardian, think of the events of the last few days...

"The Fiver doesn't know much about Australia. Well, apart from the fact that it's the home of flamin' galahs, a rubbish cricket team, bar staff who can't count or pour, hats with corks dangling from the brim, Alf Stewart's bait shop, Yahoo Serious and a load of whingeing Aussies that couldn't take their beating in the World Cup, the Fiver doesn't know much about Australia. But we are reliably informed that everything there is upside down. Houses are built from the roof upwards, people walk on their hands and even rational logic is turned on its head. This last point is crucial, as it not only helps to explain the antipodean tendency to move to Earl's Court at the first possible opportunity while loudly insisting everything is better back home, but may also shed some light on why Lucas Neill has his heart set on a move to Liverpool just three years after knacking Jamie Carragher's leg in spectacular fashion."

To read the rest click on the link below...

An amusing take on the events of the past few days

There was a Liverpool fan who texted TalkSport today appalled at the prospect of signing Neill. Said it would be like Portsmouth signing Ben Thatcher!

For 2m, make Neill sit in the reserves until the January window.

3m, snap their hands off, given the contractual situation.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Well...Lucas never did sign that contract extension after all...

Here is what 'The Fiver' the free email from The Guardian, think of the events of the last few days...

"The Fiver doesn't know much about Australia. Well, apart from the fact that it's the home of flamin' galahs, a rubbish cricket team, bar staff who can't count or pour, hats with corks dangling from the brim, Alf Stewart's bait shop, Yahoo Serious and a load of whingeing Aussies that couldn't take their beating in the World Cup, the Fiver doesn't know much about Australia. But we are reliably informed that everything there is upside down. Houses are built from the roof upwards, people walk on their hands and even rational logic is turned on its head. This last point is crucial, as it not only helps to explain the antipodean tendency to move to Earl's Court at the first possible opportunity while loudly insisting everything is better back home, but may also shed some light on why Lucas Neill has his heart set on a move to Liverpool just three years after knacking Jamie Carragher's leg in spectacular fashion."

To read the rest click on the link below...

An amusing take on the events of the past few days

"Maybe Neill is a good footballer but he behaves like a bad gentleman." He should get on famously with Jermaine Pennant and Craig Bellamy, then.

snigger

Liverpool clear the decks to make way for £4million Neill

The Independent here suggests that Benitez will come back in for Neill with an improved bid. It also mentions the possibility of Stephen Warnock or Pongolle coming to Ewood as part of the deal.

Thought I'd post it on here as otherwise it'd most likely get lost in the transfer thread.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Stephen Warnock

via soccerbase:

Real name Stephen Warnock

Height 5.09

Weight 12.00

Date of birth 12-12-1981

Place of birth Ormskirk

Position Midfielder

Nationality England

International Caps 0

International Goals 0

Current Club

Currently playing for Liverpool

Signed on 01-07-2002

Fee Trainee

Squad number 28

All time playing career

Club From To Fee League FA Cup League cup Other

Coventry 03-07-2003 10-05-2004 Loan 42 (2) 3 2 (1) 0 2 (0) 0 0 (0) 0

Bradford 12-09-2002 12-11-2002 Loan 12 (0) 1 0 (0) 0 0 (0) 0 0 (0) 0

Liverpool 01-07-2002 Trainee 26 (13) 1 2 (1) 0 4 (1) 0 8 (5) 0

Totals £ 0 80 (15) 5 4 (2) 0 6 (1) 0 8 (5) 0

goals / game 0.05 0 0 0

He is a left-sided defender/defensive midfielder based on wikipedia's entry.Not the creative,attacking option we would hope for but perhaps a challenger for Gray at LB.The remnant of the entry is as follows:"He is a product of the Liverpool youth academy and has had loan spells at Bradford City and Coventry City, later making his Liverpool debut against Grazer AK in 2004, in the first leg of a UEFA Champions League third qualifying round.

Warnock impressed on a number of occasions during his debut season of 2004-2005. His good form resulted in the more experienced and renowned Harry Kewell being dropped on several occasions. In his second season (2005-2006), he has been asked to play primarily at left-back, in rotation with the Norwegian John Arne Riise. Warnock scored his first goal for the club against Fulham in a 5-1 win on the 15 March 2006.

Warnock signed a new two-year contract extension on 23 August 2005 which will see him at the club until 2008.

Despite having made relatively few first team appearances for Liverpool, Warnock was called in to the senior England squad on August 29, 2005 for the first time for the 2006 FIFA World Cup qualifiers due to lack of cover in the squad at left back."

I would take a straight swap of Neill for FSP and Warnock under the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Liverpool clear the decks to make way for £4million Neill

The Independent here suggests that Benitez will come back in for Neill with an improved bid. It also mentions the possibility of Stephen Warnock or Pongolle coming to Ewood as part of the deal.

Thought I'd post it on here as otherwise it'd most likely get lost in the transfer thread.

Hasn't Pongo already signed a loan deal?

a player + cash deal for lucas if we except now. i would say that is not a bad offer and so would be inclined to except. if we get this deal again today, then we should except.

Accept the deal???

Could go either way this one, but it will all depend on if pool offer something decent today

4 millions plus Pong!! We should snap their bloody hands off for that! :brfc:

I'd definitely favour Warnock over Pong who I think has gone to Nobenders anyway. Lucas wants out and you're better off to move those players on otherwise they can be like a cancer. If we can get J2-3m plus Warnock for a bloke who's given us good service but really has only hit the headlines on the back of a World Cup, and who is going to walk for nothing come May, LET'S BLOODY GRAB IT! Agree, Warnock will provide competition for Gray and we look much better with a lefty playing at left back, particularly if Gamst is not at his best.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.