BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

Liverpool currently 2-0 down against a decent Fiorentina side, 19 year old Jovetic with both goals.

Rangers losing 2-0 to Sevilla.

Arsenal currently 0-0 with Olympiakos.

I loved seeing Liverpool lose. They seeem to feel that Europe is a piece of cake and it's nice to see them taken down a peg or two sometimes. Young Jovetic looked a decent striker.

Fiorentina are my favorite Italian side, they deserved it tonight too.

I went to see them live years ago when they had the likes of Batistuta, Rui Costa and Toldo in their side.

Still got a 4ft by 7ft Fiorentina flag I bought on the day, it's hanging on my bedroom wall next to my 2 Rovers flags.

God Fiorentina had some real quality back then, I remember watching Batigol and the rest often on football Italia on channel 4.

They only went bust a few years ago didn't they? How have the managed to get back in the Champions League so quickly? Is Seria A that ######?

No, you are talking about the old Fiorentina, this is ACF Fiorentina.

They purchased the naming rights and everything about the club including shirt design. This club has essentially been around since about 2002 and started in Serie C2 and has gained promotion every year.

They purchased the naming rights and everything about the club including shirt design. This club has essentially been around since about 2002 and started in Serie C2 and has gained promotion every year.

Seriously?

I never knew that.

Well...kind of. They were put in the fourth tier and won promotion, but completely skipped the third tier and went into Serie B.

Isn't Italian football great? :rolleyes:

Well...kind of. They were put in the fourth tier and won promotion, but completely skipped the third tier and went into Serie B.

Isn't Italian football great? :rolleyes:

Was about to say the same.

When they won Serie C2, Serie B was expanded to 24 teams and Fiorentina were promoted again without kicking a ball.

Watching Dzeko v Manure... too bad we couldn't get our hands on him, what a player!

I thought he was quite average. He's a threat in the air and with his size is a handful, but as a footballer he's not great at all. I really wouldn't want anywhere near my team if i was a manager.

Has anyone seen the highlight of the Real Madrid game? Their first 2 goals were almost identical to ours against Villa. A long ball by a defender to Ronaldo to poke it past the keeper and a penalty. I thought it was an interesting observation :)

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the highlight of the Real Madrid game? Their first 2 goals were almost identical to ours against Villa. A long ball by a defender to Ronaldo to poke it past the keeper and a penalty. I thought it was an interesting observation :)

That's why Salgado came to Rovers.

Well...a penalty which was won when Ronaldo made three of their players look like idiots by dribbling round them at pace! (Though to be fair I'm not totally convinced it was a penny.)

The third was a beauty with link-up play between Kaka, Benzema and Ronaldo. Scary stuff. Suppose that's what £180m buys you!

Well...a penalty which was won when Ronaldo made three of their players look like idiots by dribbling round them at pace! (Though to be fair I'm not totally convinced it was a penny.)

The third was a beauty with link-up play between Kaka, Benzema and Ronaldo. Scary stuff. Suppose that's what £180m buys you!

They really did have some brilliant attacking play. You have to wonder what they'll be like when they get used to playing together...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting tonight- excellent results for Kiev and Kazan in Milan and Barcelona.

Most significantly, I think we have just seen the end of England's Big 4 with Liverpool's home defeat by Lyon. To all intents and purposes, they are the first English club not to progress to the knock out stages of the CL for five years I think it is. Fiorentina's win in Hungary coupled with Liverpool having a much inferior goal difference and effectively needing to reverse a 2-0 deficit to get ahead of Fiorentina means they are headed for the Europa League.

I can see Fiorentina messing up in the next round of games and Liverpool winning then beating them at Anfield

Yes Lyon could easily double Fiorentina but even that favourable result leaves Liverpool needing effectively to get the better of Fiorentina over two legs starting the second leg 2-0 down. Even if they beat Fiorentina 3-0, Liverpool still have to get as good a result in Lyon as Fiorentina do at home to Debrecin.

If Fiorentina get a draw or win against Lyon, Liverpool could get through with a better than 2-1 win in Lyon if they also win their other two games and given how they struggled at Anfield against Debrecin, the Hungarians will be fancying themselves at home- they might well be challenging Liverpool for the Europa League slot if Liverpool don't buck up.

They are as good as out I tell you!

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.