BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smoking Ban At Ewood

Mate the smoking ban has nothing to do with them taking away our "rights and liberties". It is a very encouraging sign that democracy is infact working well! The vast majority of people (in England) believe smoking should be banned in public places and have made their feelings known to the government through various channels. You've got it completely wrong - the government is not taking away our rights but is infact noting our rights, opinions and beliefs and acting on them! They have handled this situation superbly and I know many smokers who are in no way offended or upset that their rights to smoke in public places is becoming limited. They accept it is their vice and non-smokers should not have to go out their way (find anothere restaurant/pub or another football stadium to attend) to avoid the dangers of passive smoking!

P.S. If later all of our rights are taken away from us, it has nothing to do with the smoking ban but I will allow you to tell me "I told you so" because I know it will make you feel better.

395933[/snapback]

Guess what: The majority of Americans back in the 1700s thought that slavery was good, too.

Again, you have your definitions wrong. Show me where it says that a pub or restaurant is a public place. No problems with the government banning it in public buildings, parks, etc. But you are sorely mistaken when you say banning it in bars and restaurants is banning it in public places.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume American you are for the legalization of all drugs then? Actually, why make anything against the law really, it is just an infringement upon my civil liberties.

Excellent example there American about slavery, had a government not eventually been strong minded and strong willed enough to put an end to it, it would have continued on. Eventually we have to bite the bullet with certain things, smoking is unnecessary and harmful and it is about time that world governments started to get their acts together about the issue.

As for the suggestion of starting up a Bar in Paris, thank you very much, it is a great idea. It's something I've already considered at length and you'd probably be surprised to know that if I opened it today it smoking would be allowed. That is for one simple reason, I couldn't afford to do otherwise.

As for the classification of bars and restaurants they are classified as public leisure facilities and hospitality workplaces. They are essentially open to the public though the owner still has the right to turn anyone away.

Visiting Toronto this week and went to a Raptors game at the Air Canada Centre. What they do is have an outside area that is cordoned off for smokers to go out and grab a smoke, but still not be easy for people to use sneak in without tickets.

395118[/snapback]

Similar scenario at the Suns game but it is not cordened off, you can leg it to the local for a quick one too, intead of the high prices. They stamp your hand on the way out. Works well.

Similar scenario at the Suns game but it is not cordened off, you can leg it to the local for a quick one too, intead of the high prices.  They stamp your hand on the way out.  Works well.

396129[/snapback]

Tonday was the first time in years I've been in a smoking crowd (no-one I know smokes). It's horrible. I have a sore throat, I've been coughing and my hair smells of smoke.

BAN IT NOW!

Tonday was the first time in years I've been in a smoking crowd (no-one I know smokes).  It's horrible.  I have a sore throat, I've been coughing and my hair smells of smoke. 

BAN IT NOW!

396180[/snapback]

You should come back up north, Jan. Its great. Sunday there was the first one in a long while I haven't woke up with my clothes and hair reeking of posion. smile.gif Good times.

All the over reaction in this thread is hilarious laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

It just proves to me what a selfish society we have become,

from the - I do it and should be able to do it anywhere mad.gif

to the - I don't do it, ban it mad.gif

Whatever happened to compromise

Similar scenario at the Suns game but it is not cordened off, you can leg it to the local for a quick one too, intead of the high prices.  They stamp your hand on the way out.  Works well.

396129[/snapback]

does it not hurt?

I have watched this debate with some amusement over the last few days, and even though I am a smoker, I can have some sympathy with those who do not.

The thought that springs to mind for next season, when the smoking ban comes into force for seated areas, is who is going to have the job of enforcing the ban?

I am sure that in the home areas the ban will be self enforcing, due to the thraet of losing ones season ticket, being banned from the ground etc., but are we to assume that in the away areas the self same stewards who now implement the no standing rule with such gusto, will also be lambasting the hordes of Mancs and Scousers as soon as they light up?

Somehow I don't think so. I am sure that as I sit in my seat in the Blackburn end, I will not only have to endure looking at the standing sods in the Darren end but they will be puffing on their fags for all they are worth.

The thought that springs to mind for next season, when the smoking ban comes into force for seated areas, is who is going to have the job of enforcing the ban? Somehow I don't think so. I am sure that as I sit in my seat in the Blackburn end, I will not only have to endure looking at the standing sods in the Darren end but they will be puffing on their fags for all they are worth.

396485[/snapback]

That is a great point. I'd be very interested in finding out an answer from the club. They can't stop persistant standing - how will they stop persistant smoking?

All the over reaction in this thread is hilarious laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

It just proves to me what a selfish society we have become,

from the - I do it and should be able to do it anywhere mad.gif

to the - I don't do it, ban it mad.gif

Whatever happened to compromise

396275[/snapback]

A momenty of clarity in an otherwise increasingly self-absorbed world - thank you AggyBlue.

Those who do have the right to continue to do so, but with that right comes the responsibility to exercise the right with respect to those that do not.

Those that do not should not have to put up with the invasive exercise of the right of those who do. At the same time, they have no right to take away the rights of those that do as they have a responsibility to allow them to exercise their right.

You would have thought a compromise could be found on that basis wouldn't you?

Show me where it says that a pub or restaurant is a public place.

396073[/snapback]

Come on, you can do better than that...

Where do you think the slang term "Pub" has come from? PUBlic House! So I guess that defines a pub as a public place. cool.gif

Edited by roverich

• 4 months later...

Didn,t seem to work where I was sitting. Some tosser in the row in front of me was continually dragging on his fag.

I went down into the concourse at half time for three at once!!!

When we were under pressure in the second half I must admit it was difficult not to light up.

Nevertheless I managed it, so if I can then anybody can.

Already e-mailed the club with the moron's seat No.

I smoke about 10 a day but had no problem not smoking in the seated area. Had a quick drag at half time in the open air on the concourse and that was OK without upsetting anyone.

Seems OK to me.

At half time all the smokers must have lit up three at a time as it was unbelievably smoky down in the concorse. It was so bad, I even went back to my seat before the end of half time and stayed up there for the second half!

I am a non smoker (and don't object to people smoking), I will go into a pub where people smoke and it doesn't bother me, BUT, on Wednesday night I went down on to the concourse at half time to buy some food (first opportunity following the dash from work) and was overwhelmed with the smoke and found it impossible to remain in the area, I don’t think it was as bad when people where allowed to smoke in there seats. Following that I can’t wait until the make the whole ground non smoking.

At half time all the smokers must have lit up three at a time as it was unbelievably smoky down in the concorse. It was so bad, I even went back to my seat before the end of half time and stayed up there for the second half!

I don't know what part of the ground you sit in but in front of the Riverside in the open air there were no problems from anyone. Your seat in the second half is where you should be. You know the concourse is the only place where smoking is allowed so why go there? There is no compromise for some people.

Debs has got a point! It's been bad in the JWL as long as I have been coming to Rovers. I shall be glad when it is stopped altogether. And I hope this does not mean folks thinking they can smoke in the toilets!

I was quite suprised when they said you could smoke in the enclosed bar area but not in the open air seats. wrong way round maybe? smoke congregates in enclosed spaces but disperse in open air.

Saying that though, the amount of people i saw smoking in their seat during the match makes me think that this ban is going to be harder to enforce than Rovers first thought.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.