BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth 2-2 Rovers

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I canr believe some of the posts on here. Yes we should have beaten Pompy. We have probably, more than likely lost out on that Champions league place, but I think if we finish in fifth or sixth, we have still had a brilliant season. We will still be playing European football, we have played some excellent football this season and Hughes has finally given the crowd something to shout about again and be proud of again.

Who would have thought this time last year people would be posting at how disappointed we are after one game?

Irrelevant. Might as well say look where we are now compared with 1964-65 or 1994-95.

Fourth place is probably put of reach now but considering the lack of quality in the squad (Bellamy, Nelsen and Friedel excepted), sixth position and a place in the Uefa Cup would be an outstanding achievement by Hughes.

397567[/snapback]

This in itself is equally irrelevant. Apart from the big 4, and possibly Spurs, Rovers first team is better than most other teams. And it doesn't matter what anyone says, on our resources we are never going to consistently break into that little monopoly.

It is very simple - it's a long season and luck evens itself out - where we finish will be directly related to how good we are.

I think you are right about the big clubs having a look at him however I think he will be forgotten about while the world cup is on when everyone is chasing the new world sensation umbo umbogo (you know what I mean)

And as for 20m plus for bellers - wake up you fool

397710[/snapback]

I'm not sure why 20 million is foolish... Chelsea payed that much for Wright-Phillips, and a similar amount for Duff. Rooney, admittedly a better player, was 27 million. He is better than Reyes, I would say who went for around 18. Bellamy is just as effective as those players and still relatively young. It sounds like a knee jerk reaction I suppose, but when I watch Bellamy I do not see a player who is just in form, but a player who is at his natural level.

20 million is not ridiculous, especially if he keeps his scoring rate up. In 18 starts he has scored 13 goals in the premiership. Henry has managed 21 in 25, RVN 21 in 30. He is keeping good company.

Having watched it live, we were comfortably the better footballing team but allowed them a good start and to recover after both goals. Hughes will be very angry that probably precisely what he spent all week coaching the lads not to do is exactly what happened.

397708[/snapback]

How can you say that? Portsmouth passed the ball much better than us, had better movement and more creativity. If Bellamy had been unavailable we could well of been crushed by them.

Fair enough we all have our off days, but Pompey were excellent, and if I was one of their fans I would be very aggrieved that they did not win that match.

Its funny, there seems to be a positive correlation between knee-jerk, negative reactionary posts and people who didnt actually go to the match. Was at Pompey at the weekend and thought we put up a pretty good battle.

They are on superb form atm, and are playing with pace, power, skill and desperation, perhaps being the key componant. Yes they did have more chances and yes they could have scored more. However, Brad did well and we ourselves could have had more goals, MGP chance and Emerton at the end.

A excellent point imo and a really exciting game, perhaps the best away game out of the 10 ive been to this season (apart from maybe wigan and charlton).

On that evidence they could do us a favour against the arse in midweek which would obv be brilliant from our point of view. Our support was good in numbers considering the distance, but didnt make a sound apart from the goals and at half time for a funny chap named bomber !! biggrin.gif

Good day out tho, nice weather good match and a good point imo! rover.gif

Been done to death but have to comment on Bellamy. Absolute pure unadulterated class. First goal has to be a contender for goal of the season. I hope and pray Hughes has enough clout with him to persuade him to stay one more year. After which he will move, with MH, to Manure.

friedel and bellamy were immense on saturday, fairplay i'm guted we didn't take home the points after leading twice through bellamy's wonder goals.

to come out with a draw and a point isn't the end of the world, ars and noblot both lost, so we gained a point on them and even though spuds won, we all know they have a tricky run in.

the worst part of saturday was emerton at the end, really did think he had scored and was going crazy, after seing it on telly it was a clear handball but we have seen them given in the past dry.gif

did anyone see matty derbyshire's goal for wrexham? i clear case of a hand there too and yeah it was given.

Given Emo had a lot of time to see it coming over, why didn't he get his head onto it? Even he would have netted that one.

Much easier chance than the one that fizzed by MGP two minutes earlier when he was two yards out with two defenders and the keeper diving in.

Been done to death but have to comment on Bellamy. Absolute pure unadulterated class. First goal has to be a contender for goal of the season. I hope and pray Hughes has enough clout with him to persuade him to stay one more year. After which he will move, with MH, to Manure.

397909[/snapback]

Secure European football, and I reckon all will be well with retaining his services for next season. As has been said, most clubs will probably be chasing players in the World Cup shop window.

Midfield was a let down - didnt pressurise them and players like Mendes & Davis had a field day, our 2 full backs passing was shocking and Dickov just moaned the whole time! I would have brought Kuqi on at 2-1 to mix things up a bit.

It is slightly worrying we've not played well at all for the past 3 games. But on a positive side we havent lost and got 5 points.

Given Emo had a lot of time to see it coming over, why didn't he get his head onto it? Even he would have netted that one.

Much easier chance than the one that fizzed by MGP two minutes earlier when he was two yards out with two defenders and the keeper diving in.

398000[/snapback]

That is the exact thought that occured to me when I saw it on TV. Even I could have headed that one in and I am only 5' 6" and in my 70's!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.