BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0-1 Liverpool

I have to disagree with those who thought Liverpool were the better side, I thought in terms of our overall play and passing we've not played better all season. Friedel hardly had a thing to do until Cisse hit the post in injury time, and overall I thought we dominated possession. The goal completely changed the course of the game because Liverpool had showed nothing going forward but are particularly effective at sitting back and defending a lead.

With Liverpool sitting back in two banks of four the one thing that you could criticise us for in the second half was failing to get in any decent delivery from wide positions, which we needed to do to get them turning.

Reid put in a superb performance in midfield, didn't think anyone had a poor game.

399636[/snapback]

Agreed. Reid was MOM, rightly so. Liverpool over the two games this season were poor. We just happened to get jipped over two ref (Please don't use that word again) ups. Todds red card at Anfield and todays big (Please don't use that word again) up too.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was the first time I'd seen Reid in a while and he was very good. He and Savage outplayed Alonso and Sissoko for most of the game. Hughes' tactics were clear to see in the first half - keep Alonso out of the game and give him no time on the ball. Once we managed to do this, Reid and Savage started dictating play. Liverpool aren't the same team without Gerrard.

However, I thought Nelsen was our best player. Shame that Sky Sports couldn't spell his name properly...

Did we just get beaten by Bolton?

Tactics from the notlob school of boredom

Shankly will be turning in his grave over the performance and antics of the reds today. Do the Champions of Europe really need to waste so much time against little Blackburn Rovers.

Seriously though, we needed a plan C and didn't have one. We are null and void of ideas on how to break teams down that defend deep.

One recollection of the contrary is the cup game at Charlton, when we managed to score three times against a team defending a 2 goal lead. Reid is very good at controlling and pressing the midfield, but maybe we lack the power and presence of a bigger forward and some more creative players.

You can't be too upset losing to Liverpool but it was such a stale game. The 'goal' did indeed change the direction of the match. Liverpool have got a lot of clean sheets this season so no shame in not scoring against them.

However, the creativity in our team comes from our wide players and we are not getting enough from them at present. Not sure if MGP is tired but he has played poor for a number of games now. It must be tempting to drop/rest him but his set pieces alone merit his place in the side.

I do not think Bentley does enough to deserve his place on the right wing. He does show some nice touches but he is very much struggling to get into the game. He very rarely beats the opposition full back and we see him drifiting into the centre to try and influence the game. Even then he does not really get involved. I know Emerton gets stick on here and deservedly so but I would have him in ahead of Bentley on the right.

As some have mentioned, we are missing Tugay badly (especially in home games) and the news is not encouraging - he pulled a muscle in training and may miss the rest of the season (not fact).

I really hope we finish 6th now for the following reasons. It will mean we will have a better chance of keeping our best players - Nelsen, MGP and Bellamy. Additionally, it will ensure Hughes stays on to continue and build on the fine work he has started. I am surprised no one has made more of the possible approach by Newcastle. The Sunday papers can talk nonsense but I think it is becoming more obvious barring Martin O Neil he is the hottest managerial prospect available and I would think an approach for his services will be inevitable.

Edited by John

Just seen the offside decision and its a joke. The decision should be made WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED THROUGH. Fowler chests the balls towards Cisse not Morientes so he should be flagged offside straightaway. He then makes a play for the ball but leaves it, wrongfooting the Rovers defence and allowing Liverpool a pretty simple goal. I don't believe all this conspiracy theory stuff, its just vague rules and inept refereeing again.

To be fair though, we got lucky when Cisse ONSIDE misses the chance to score and then somehow Friedel got lucky and the ball bounced onto the bar. I don't believe we did enough to score ourselves today, the only proper chance we had was Robbie Savage and he can't kick the ball properly with his right foot never mind his left.

Very dissapointed with Liverpool's second half performance. They like Chelsea have so many awesome attacking players but only attack teams when they have to. Their foreign managers are so cautious it doesnt make for exciting football at all, the second half was so dull and slow because of Liverpool's timewasting tactics.

Both Liverpool and Chelsea have the ability and the players to completely dominate teams and play them off the park but its very rare it happens unless they are forced to.

I'd sooner pay to watch United or Arsenal anyday. Still with 3 wins out of 4 against those two and 0 out of 3 against Liverpool and Chelsea, maybe Benitez was right to be cautious today. This is how far we have come when some of the best teams in Europe show this level of respect against us.

I'm dissapointed we're out of the running for Champions League but we're only one point behind where I thought we'd be after these last three games anyway. I thought we'd beat Wigan but lose against Portsmouth and Liverpool. Fair play to Tottenham though as they beat Man City and by all accounts played superbly yesterday. I'm confident we can get two more wins and one draw this season which should secure that 6th spot!

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!

Three things from today...

1. As dissappointed with the performence as I was at Cardiff in the Semi-Final last season when we were one game away from an FA Cup final, though you'd never have known the lack of urgency we showed in the last ten minutes. Why aren't we throwing all we have at them, trying out very best to save our Champions League dream?

2. Linked with this is the crowd. Loudest chant of the day lasted 10 seconds. It was ''Get Into Um!!!!'' It was after 90 minutes. Pompey drew with Arsenal last Wednesday, and I'm convinced the crowds support got them that point. Never stopped cheering them on, and like so many results Pompey have gotten at home over their Premiership years, it was influenced largely by the crowd. Our crowd is collectively awful. Maybe it is the drummers fault, either way, the Ewood crowd is worth NIL points to our team over a season. Nil!!! Pompeys is worth atleast six or so. With our team, imagine how many extra points we could get if we actually made some noise. I'd forgotten we were even fighting for fourth after an hour.

3. MGP. He has no long term career at this level IMO. He has never had an exceptional game in a Rovers shirt, as he has no great attributes from open play. I can tolerate him when he does nothing but score. But if he doesn't score, he does nothing. It has been the case ever since he signed for us. Teams always were going to cotton onto him, and now they have, he's useless. Are Spurs still offering £7m?

Shillito

2 Id rather have 15,000 hardcore support than 5,000 extra silent ones. The second half atmosphere was the worst I've seen this season today. I believe you're wrong about the crowd not getting us points. We helped a lot against United for example by riling Rio and getting him sent off and we helped the boys through to secure the 1-0 against Arsenal. Against Middlesbrough it was also a superb atmosphere second half and even though we went down to 10 men we still won the game. So I believe you're wrong although the support was poor today I agree.

3 MGP was no worse than Bentley, Bellamy, Savage, Gray or Dickov today so I don't know why you're on his back. His set piece delivery is superb, he's good in the air and has scored 9 goals from midfield in the league this season. No mean feat and he is one of the reasons why we're in the position we're in. So get off his back.

3 MGP was no worse than Bentley, Bellamy, Savage, Gray or Dickov today so I don't know why you're on his back. His set piece delivery is superb, he's good in the air and has scored 9 goals from midfield in the league this season. No mean feat and he is one of the reasons why we're in the position we're in. So get off his back.

399665[/snapback]

I totally agree about todays game.

But in my heart of hearts I can't remember a game where I've walked away thinking 'Pedersen was the difference today,' in any way other than a goal.

Yes this is great but I believe the goals will become less frequent, especially as teams pin point the threat of him arriving late from midfield. His set piece delivery is very good, but there will be players in the conference who can deliver great set pieces, but it just isn't enough. He is slow. Painfully slow. He couldn't take the ball past a cone.

I'd love him to prove me totally worng, like Steven Reid has, but IMO, on performances going back into January now, MGP shouldn't be in the team.

I can't remember who on this MB said him and Bentley can't play in the same team, but they were spot on.

I actually think MGP did very well today, a bit surprised to read your post after this one, Shilito. His set pieces was excellent all afternoon, and he also took Finnan on once or twice, which is rare. Also, a few great crosses, overall a good performance from him imo!

Reid was great aswell, deservedly man of the match! Savage on the other hand, did the physical business 1st half, but disappeared a bit and his passing was not good at all today! That counts for Dickov aswell, even though it was a tough game for him against two good central defenders- Kuqi should've come on earlier!

Bentley showed glimpses of class, but not consistantly enough. I guess you can say the wingers was the problem in a way, since we needed people to run at the fullbacks with Liverpool being so tight at the back - but overall I think both wingers did ok! Maybe Emerton and/or Peter could've given us another dimension, I'm not sure.

I am a bit disappointed with our attacking play, a lot of poor passing towards Bellamy or Dickov was intercepted by Carragher and Hyypia. A bit one-dimensional, and easy to pick out for the defenders.

Bring on Birmingham, an absolute must-win!

MGP shouldn't be in the team.

399666[/snapback]

Everyone is valid to their opinion but regardless of mine concerning MGP I see him as our own decent left footed midfielder who can cross a ball. Who do you suggest should have been playing on the left wing since January?

Does anyone who watched Sky know how the heck Alonso won MOTM?

He's one of my favourite non-rovers players usually but he was dross today, reid was the boss in the middle.

Plus jusyt watched sky's coverage, they only mention rover's having a right to be upset once - if it had been chelsea the game would prob be replayed and that linesman would be tied up in the back of a skoda somewhere in Russia!

I thought we played very well against a team who really just flooded the half with their players. The only time they really looked dangerous was towards the end of the game as we were getting more desperate and pushing up. Although we did lack creativity etc, I was pleased with our performance. Carragher was excellent today.

Well the more I think about Cisse the more I wish Lucas would slide in break his other leg. Also, whoever the commentary team were, here in Australia at least, how biased were they. mad.gif

That result was the biggest travesty of justice since MGP "scored" at Newcastle.

It's Zen, live with it.

Ooooommmmmmmmm

That assistant referee will be reborn as an earthworm. Or as Glenn Hoddle.

Hopefully the latter.

I haven't read any other posts before writing this. I saw the game live on TV and saw the ''goal'' replayed many times. The question surely is how could Wiley possibly allow it. Are they subject to any form of investigation afterwards as to why they took this sort of decision? The old guy with the flag was on the wrong side to see if Cisse went for the ball so the decision had to be Wiley's. It's ok saying it is all part of the game and that these things even themselves out over a season - I also subscribe to that theory - but I would love to know what went through Wiley's mind at the time. If he is put on the spot by his ''superiors'' what defence for the decision could he possibly offer. In Asia we are blessed with massive Premiership coverage thanks to ESPNStar but over the past couple of seasons I have become disillusioned as too many games are being decided by controversial refereeing decisions - usually against the so-called ''smaller'' teams and I do not mean just Rovers. The referees themselves appear to be above the law and they must be held more accountable for these decisions. I am greatly dismayed with the age of the 'superstar' referee and hopefully in time true professional referees with appear as the transition phase passes and we get rid of the likes of Wiley, Poll and in fact most of the current crop of referees.

Simply put I just want to watch a game of football where football wins and not just watch a referee on his weekly ego trip.

Having said that Wiley's decison doesn't excuse Rovers inability to get a decent shot on taget all game - we never looked like scoring.

Rovers fume as Reds win

Blackburn Rovers were left in a rage after a controversial goal from French striker Djibril Cisse earned Liverpool the points at Ewood Park. Djibril Cisse, stood three yards offside, clearly went to play the ball before pulling his foot away allowing Fernando Morientes to square for Robbie Fowler to score the winner.

Source: Front page of soccernet.com

Having said that Wiley's decison doesn't excuse Rovers inability to get a decent shot on taget all game - we never looked like scoring.

Rubbish. I clearly remember having shots on target, and indeed, according to the following stats, we had more shots on target than Liverpool.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=195681&cc=3436

We were awful first half, granted, but made up for it easily in the second.

Everyone is valid to their opinion but regardless of mine concerning MGP I see him as our own decent left footed midfielder who can cross a ball. Who do you suggest should have been playing on the left wing since January?

399675[/snapback]

I was begging for a double change at half time - Kuqi and Peter on for Dickov and Pedersen. Of course I knew it'd never happen as Hughes likes to give his players a chance to redeem themselves, but that's a different story.

I wholeheartedly agree with Shillito, Pedersen has actually been @#/? for most of the season. Obviously the nine goals from midfield have helped, but what exactly does he do for the team other than that? He contributes absolutely nothing going forward these days - the amount of times he hits his cross/pass into a defender is beyond a joke, and his complete lack of pace really doesn't help his cause. His redeeming feature, apparently, is his set piece play - it's just a shame he shoots at every chance he gets, including corners, and wastes a good majority of them. I'm sure he'd be great in a side that could afford to carry him, but unfortunately we aren't capable of that. All 11 men need to contribute, which hasn't happened enough for my liking this season.

With a pairing of Savage and Reid, our attacking play is pretty much reliant on the wide men and any strokes of genius Bellamy can provide. I think most people in the ground realised yesterday that if Liverpool wanted to they could shut up shop with little problem - which is why their gift is so hard to take. If we are to progress as a side then we need to find a place for Bentley (as he is one of the few players in our squad capable of playing a defence splitting pass), or bring in two wingers who can actually beat their man.

RAF ROVER isnt very happy with the decision to let the goal stand - his language is not suitable for this board however and he should consider himself told off and not to do it again - Flopsy

Sorry If any one is offended but I am proceeding to chew my way through this keyboard I am still so wound up, oh work is going to be fun today! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Edited by Flopsy

In Asia we are blessed with massive Premiership coverage thanks to ESPNStar but over the past couple of seasons I have become disillusioned as too many games are being decided by controversial refereeing decisions - usually against the so-called ''smaller'' teams and I do not mean just Rovers.

399687[/snapback]

I dont know why but big club bias does seem to exist. Prob why i'm not a ref cos I would always (just as unfairly) favour the underdog.

Alonso man of the match? I can go with that, he did a lot of defensive work and supplied the attacking line with good passes. I would pick Carragher myself though, the first player to quiet Bellamy this season.

As for Pedersen, my post on page twelve. I think it was his best game in weeks.

If that was Pedersens' best game in weeks, which it might as well have been, then he really should be dropped.

I'd rather we played Peter or Emerton down the left, or indeed Bentley with Emerton or Reid on the right.

I'd rather we got Wilcox back from Blackpool the way MGP is playing.

I haven't seen the game our the goal, but it sounds like it was blatantly offside. It also seems like we didn't create very much as it was. The last three games have been disappointing in terms of points and in some cases the performance as well. Our chances of a Champions League place has slipped away in the last three games.

I was in a great position to see the offside, and he clearly was. As has been said earlier a lot of blame must go to FIFA constantly changing the rules. The whole inactive thing is just too tricky to interpret, Cisse was active as soon as the ball moved towards him. Just a shame all of our players stopped, play to the whistle boys!!!!

Good day out, and the Mrs. and her boy enjoyed it. Just a shame they haven't seen a rovers win yet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.