BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nintendo Ds Advice...

So I'm thinking about getting a DS but I'm not completely sure. I grew up on Nintendo but haven't touched anything from them since the N64, which was...not very good. From time to time I get this urge to go retro and play some Mario stuff though and I could do with something to entertain me while commuting. But what are the games like these days? Good selection? Top games?

DS owners, sell me on this!

Maybe I'll convince you. DS is my most played games machine at the moment.

It's cheap, it's durable, it's practical for commuting (it doesn't take several minutes to load a game).

There are plenty of very good games at the moment - Advance Wars, Wario Ware, Tetris (online!), Animal Crossing, Nintendogs - plus some promising things in development, like Mario Bros and Zelda.

Basically, it has the widest choice of software right now, and a lot of it is quite unusual because of the touch screen and microphone. Plays Game Boy Advance games, too.

But... you probably shouldn't buy the standard one right now. The screens are quite poor, the buttons are rubbish and it looks like it doesn't belong outside of a playground.

Wait until they release the DS Lite in Europe or buy one on import. It's so much nicer - the case and buttons are redesigned, the screens have a wider viewing angle and are brighter than a PSP (hurts my eyes on the brightest setting indoors)

I have seen the PSP Cocker, but I have also seen the price. I'd love to get one but can't really afford to at the moment, particularly since I'm planning to get a 360 some time after my exams this summer. I'm going to treat myself to one if I pass. The DS is available for under 90 quid though, which is doable.

if your gonna play in house alot get the new nintendo revolution ebcause been said can download all old games and play them on it smile.gif

just something i will add if would like to play all old games and the ds will not play the old gameboy games

Most of the new modes in Tetris aren't very good, but for one-on-one wi-fi play, it's amazing. Four players is alright but you get these stupid Mario power-up items that make it way too random.

Solo mode isn't as good as the original Tetris or the DX version. No user profiles, no high score table etc. But the two-player internet mode... I'm totally addicted.

• 2 weeks later...

My mum has a DS and she is never off it, she says the games are very addictive.

I've had a go on hers and i must say i was very impressed with the games and the console itself. IMO the games for it are slightly childish, not all but some such as the new Pokemon game but there are some real gems for it such as Mario Kart, Mario and Nintendogs of which i lauhged when i first heard my mum had bought it, but its actually quite fun.

I'd keep my PSP though anytime above a DS but the Wi-Fi functions of the Ds are amazing.

WI FI people, how much is it and how does it work???? 30.00 I heard. Who has Mario Kart??? Or James Bond-Rogue Agent.

403072[/snapback]

It depends what you mean. You can get a USB WiFi adaptor which you can plug into your PC, saving you the need to get a wireless router. All the config is done on the PC and I think you can connect quite a few DS' using it.

Or, buy a wireless router, this link will give you a compatability table: http://www.nintendowifi.co.uk/customersupp...ortedRouters.do

I personally have a Linksys WRT54G and it works great and is fairly straight forward to setup.

• 8 months later...

So I'm thinking about getting a DS but I'm not completely sure. I grew up on Nintendo but haven't touched anything from them since the N64, which was...not very good. From time to time I get this urge to go retro and play some Mario stuff though and I could do with something to entertain me while commuting. But what are the games like these days? Good selection? Top games?

DS owners, sell me on this!

I know I'm very late, but if you want [if anyone wants] to get a Nintendo product the time would be now. They are on an uphill roll at the moment and seem to be producing some attractive games again. I've only played about five minutes of a newer Nintendo product (newer than the 64, my last new Nintendo product, so I sort of follow your gaming timeline), but following the discussion and news and everything on it, they are becoming an attractive proposition again.

I was impressed that Nintendo released a new version of Marios Bros. on the DS, based on the original concept. I hated the move to 3D worlds that have become too fashionable in the last few years, which really turned me off. But they seem to keep some games simpler now, especially on the DS. Mario Kart on the DS (which I played for a few minutes before my three year old cousin took it off me, thinking I didn't know how to play the game properly!) looked fairly cool too, incorporating courses from older versions and looking a clean and simple game from what I saw.

That's just my impression anyway. I am holding out for a while until I buy a new generation console or handheld, due to a combination of things. Firstly I've bought enough Super Nintendo products to last me years in the last year. Secondly I don't get as much time to play them as I like when university is on, so a new purchase at the moment would be a bit of a waste. Plus I want prices to go down a bit. And I have enough PC games to occupy my time as it is.

The Wii might be a really good buy down the track, depending on games. It's a bit too gimmicky at the moment, but is going in the right direction. You can download old games on it, but seeing as I have a Super Nintendo with just about all the games I want to have, there's not much point. There are only a select few Nintendo 64 games I want. Goldeneye, WCW/NWO Revenge, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, and a couple of others I forget.

Edited by James No. 7

I doubt very much that I'll ever consider a Wii. It feels very gimmicky right now as you said but I can't see anything in the long run that would change that for me. I'm very happy with a regular gamepad and I don't need "new" control schemes to keep me interested. The only thing I would like to try on the Wii is Madden, but that's not going to make me go buy one. I've been very, very happy with my 360 since I got it and there are plenty of games coming up down the line that really excite me. As for the DS, I think its a fun little machine and I loved "New" Super Mario Bros. Haven't really looked into too many games for it though as I prefer to spend my "games money" on 360 stuff. Also, I don't commute as much these days so I don't play it as much.

Do you have a the Jap import? Is it easy to follow or will my complete lack of Japanese understanding ruin it for me?

yeah it was only ever released in japan. but you don't need to understand japanese at all. there is a translation of the menus here.

i also have elite beat agents which is more aimed at a western audience, but i don't think its anywhere near as good. it's full of cheesy crap like avril lavigne & the village people.

I doubt very much that I'll ever consider a Wii. It feels very gimmicky right now as you said but I can't see anything in the long run that would change that for me. I'm very happy with a regular gamepad and I don't need "new" control schemes to keep me interested. The only thing I would like to try on the Wii is Madden, but that's not going to make me go buy one. I've been very, very happy with my 360 since I got it and there are plenty of games coming up down the line that really excite me. As for the DS, I think its a fun little machine and I loved "New" Super Mario Bros. Haven't really looked into too many games for it though as I prefer to spend my "games money" on 360 stuff. Also, I don't commute as much these days so I don't play it as much.

Bah. Just saw you bought a DS ages ago, so I edited my post a little above. ;) Would agree that with the Wii the chances of it looking attractive to buy is slim. They have gone down the drain in terms of "realistic" sports games since the 64 from what I know of (I'm surprised to hear their capture of Madden) and for me a move to incorporate more of those sorts of games would be necessary to have a serious think about it. I wouldn't buy otherwise, unless they do a damn good job going in whatever direction they are going in. I wonder if they will ever go with the old sort of simplicity of earlier consoles in a couple of games or more, but obviously a lot more updated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.