BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pub Match Courtcase

mad.gif

How?  It just means that gate reciepts will become all the more crucial. ph34r.gif

398638[/snapback]

The relative wealth of the top clubs has attracted "LARGE" investment, Sky charge UK a high price for live fooball. Who takes the money.ooh that would be players, agents, etc etc....millions.

The best players attracted to the millions......well if the millions arent in the game anymore cuase sky cant charge a premium. the whole "cost" of football comes down.

Cost comes down , prices at turnstiles " sorry box office " come down......

this equals more fans at the stadium...

also less differential between BIG clubs and Town Clubs...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wishful thinking 3rd Pillar.

Sky own the broadcasting rights, if they see this coming they will simply cut off the option of cheap foreign broadcasts by increasing charges.

The money is in football now and I'm afraid to say any situation in which money drops out of the game will simply lead to clubs like us going under. The dream of a time when the money will be removed and suddenly we will all be on a level playing field simply isn't going to happen. I dread to think what would happen if decisions like this became the norm and we started losing TV money and fans to foreign broadcasters, there is no way we could survive.

The only good news of the week for us so far has been the Arsenal draw and one other grain of hope. In amongst all those figures of how much Premiership players earn I think there was a stat that said around 53% (I think) of the players would be in favour of a salary cap. Now of course I'm sure these are the 53% outside of the top clubs who stand to lose nothing if a wage cap was put in place, but if there is any hope of the Premiership ever moving towards a league where at least half the league go into the season with thoughts of possibly winning it then this would be the way.

Eddie, it may be wishful thinking. Born out of desperation.

Reading this thread, may point out therelative cost of football to their homelives ( wages ).

I cant afford it anymore, Sorry BRFC, I ant big enough, rich enough to follow football in my home town.

RIP

I cant afford it anymore, Sorry BRFC, I ant big enough, rich enough to follow football in my home town.

RIP

398810[/snapback]

Saw signs of this 6 years ago in Newcastle. The mags redeveloped SJP and were roundly criticised by the 'true, salt of the earth, traditional' supporters (it transpires that they are low earning people from Newcastle) for moving the cost of watching football toward the prawn sarny brigade. Keane criticised the Mancs for doing the same (didn't offer to take a pay cut though did he?). It seems now that those clubs followed the correct policy. If one sector of society is turning its back on football then why cater especially for it?

I must say that banging on about admission prices to help low income supporters is in direct contrast to the amount of satellite dishes in the areas of cheaper house prices. Nobody will spend any less instead they'll spend it on ale, the missus and the kids will suffer by no longer being taken to matches of course but who gives one about them when Stella's involved?

BTW.....Anybody remember Max Headroom, a nation transfixed by TV nad TV ratings, and best of all the blipverts? I rem thinking it was all fantasy. How wrong could I be? (just like after reading Orwell's 1984, in 1970 or similar I thought that the govt of Eurasia having spy camera's on every building and lampost and monitoring every citizens movements was impossible! Imagine that?!? ohmy.gifdry.gif )

So we are left with this.......

if there are not enough middle class (or working class as I find is a much more accurate term nowadays) in Blackburn to support a Prem team then widening the hinterland to incorporate the entire North West from the ship canal to Scotland is the only sensisble option........... but I would say that wouldn't I? wink.gif

There is a limit of course but discounting admission prices is for losers.

If I could just interrupt the arguing for a moment.

The ruling the of the bloke in Rochdale was a one off and no precedence has been set. If the pub was to do it again, he'd be fined.

The Premier League will continue to prosecute pubs showing live Premier League football between 2.45pm and 5pm on a Saturday.

The Premier League will continue to prosecute pubs showing live Premier League football between 2.45pm and 5pm on a Saturday.

398829[/snapback]

That's more like the responce. I really can't understand being in Blackburn a few times and saw a few jokes in the bar coming up o kick-off and said that they are watching the game there.

Disgraceful and about time the FA are reacting to it.

It's as though people think the weather in Blackburn is cr@p. blink.gif

- The reason I've singled EIT out is because (s)he's on a hobby horse again - like a dog with a bone.  Always slagging off the board, always blaming Sky for the "dodgy broadcasts" thing.  Actually has the facts wrong on the whole lot.

We NEED the TV income to survive at this level.

398761[/snapback]

Coming from the sage who had a teeny weeny hobby horse about Souness, that's a good one!

But anyway, irrespective of the technicalities, Rovers do indeed need TV money more than anyone else, but the Premier Leagues grossly distorted differential pricing between domestic and foreign rights in a world where staellite technology is no respecter of national borders will be its undoing.

The PL will soon be threatening to prosecute every pub in the country and somewill will decide that the courts system shouldn't be clogged up with this petty problem of their own making.

Market forces always win in the long run

The ruling the of the bloke in Rochdale was a one off and no precedence has been set. If the pub was to do it again, he'd be fined.

398829[/snapback]

But the way Sky move kick off times around to their liking, there's sometimes not many kicking off then though.

Perhaps if you werent posting tripe you wouldnt get the response associated...

..and 10 pints?  You wish.

398644[/snapback]

firstly, you dont even know me so judging what I can drink is a bit stupid, 10 pints? not a problem. and theres people on here i know personally who would agree

Dan's responses are typical of today's younger fan. Going to the game isn't enough entertainment, a skin full before and a skin full after is also needed. To alot of young fans a game without a p!ss up is like fish without chips. Arguing over semantics of pricing is hardly convincing when the actual game figure is dwarfed by drinking spends.

I don't think any of us would disagree with the fact that the game needs changing and Rovers don't want to get shafted as a result. We cry into our pints over a few hundred (maybe) lost to foregin football. Imagine United? They can't build stands quickly enough to fit them in. How many black market fans watch their games?

398674[/snapback]

Im twenty ******* three, im not a kid!

Welcome to the real World Dan. 

Word of advice 1.  to you....get used to it it gets worse!

Word of advice 2.  to younger ones.  Listen to your teachers and study hard!  Jobs that seem to pay a lot of money in teenagers eyes soon become poorly paid when the full expenses of adult life are subtracted.

398777[/snapback]

Exactly pal, im merely stating that football has taken a back step in my money world compared to when i was at college etc.

But when i get my ST back next season im sure I wont get the lecture some on here are throwing at me now

firstly, you dont even know me so judging what I can drink is a bit stupid, 10 pints? not a problem. and theres people on here i know personally who would agree

398846[/snapback]

Each person is free to spend money as they like so please, don't think I'm having a go, I can understand if you choose to spend your money on other things apart from tickets to Rovers games. However, you were always opening yourself up by saying that on a Saturday you spend nearly twice as much on alcohol as it would cost you to go to a Rovers game, I don't think you'll get much sympathy.

Each person is free to spend money as they like so please, don't think I'm having a go, I can understand if you choose to spend your money on other things apart from tickets to Rovers games. However, you were always opening yourself up by saying that on a Saturday you spend nearly twice as much on alcohol as it would cost you to go to a Rovers game, I don't think you'll get much sympathy.

398853[/snapback]

What I do in my social life is my own decision, as ive said I dont slate anyone else and dont expect any grief back

Saw signs of this 6 years ago in Newcastle.  T..............  If one sector of society is turning its back on football then why cater especially for it?

398825[/snapback]

I dont believe Blackburn has the "people" that other Permiership clubs have to draw upon for the new football experience.

My personal enjoyment in football remains unchanged....Massive release of emotion, passion and feeling.... If i expressed that feeling inforont of plod or a steward , id be arrested....(thats for another thread). but it makes me feel 90% as good screeming at a TV..and 95% a good if its in the local.

So when i can afoord I go, If not, pub, ... ( if on sky I get invited to the girlfriends parents, duty calls! )

398829[/snapback]

I've been trying to tell people that Here

It's obvious that clubs need Tv, but that's not what this thread is about.

Why doesn't BRFC or Sky have a "Pub Patrol" or have a wall of shame each Friday in the LET. Every home game they have a van with a couple of heavies driving around in it finding places with dodgy TV being on. They could do their research during the week. It would be easy; come on here and ask where they can watch the game. They'd get 10 answers and would be able to pay the landlords a visit. They can be independent contractors paid in cash through a middleman with no connection to the club or Sky.

I think the dodgy TV watching is appealing just on the fact that it is illegal. I know people who could care less about watching football but as soon as their local or nearby boozer gets a satellite they are down there every week to 'watch the match'. The social aspect appeals to many. Landlords should bear the brunt of this, but they are apathetic to anything that involves them being responsible; they run a business that encourages drunkeness.

I still believe that all games should be on TV for access. Sky can sell them domestic only and have different packages for foreign TV. The growth of the game is happening abroad as I said earlier. The consistent ticket price/game saturation arguments are testament to that. I feel that the biggest growth markets are China with its billion people and the USA with its $ billions. Only this week Beckham was trumping himself by saying that he would love to play in America, probably to watch his bank balance skyrocket. He never harps on about playing back in England does he?

Dan, I apologise for getting your age wrong. Your posts did appear to be from a schoolie though.

thumbs-up.gif

Why doesn't BRFC or Sky have a "Pub Patrol" or have a wall of shame each Friday in the LET. Every home game they have a van with a couple of heavies driving around in it finding places with dodgy TV being on. They could do their research during the week. It would be easy; come on here and ask where they can watch the game. They'd get 10 answers and would be able to pay the landlords a visit. They can be independent contractors paid in cash through a middleman with no connection to the club or Sky.

I think the dodgy TV watching is appealing just on the fact that it is illegal. I know people who could care less about watching football but as soon as their local or nearby boozer gets a satellite they are down there every week to 'watch the match'. The social aspect appeals to many. Landlords should bear the brunt of this, but they are apathetic to anything that involves them being responsible; they run a business that encourages drunkeness.

I still believe that all games should be on TV for access. Sky can sell them domestic only and have different packages for foreign TV. The growth of the game is happening abroad as I said earlier. The consistent ticket price/game saturation arguments are testament to that. I feel that the biggest growth markets are China with its billion people and the USA with its $ billions. Only this week Beckham was trumping himself by saying that he would love to play in America, probably to watch his bank balance skyrocket. He never harps on about playing back in England does he?

Dan, I apologise for getting your age wrong. Your posts did appear to be from a schoolie though.

398903[/snapback]

Apology accepted, ya cheeky swine thumbs-up.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.