BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Charlton 0 Rovers 2

Great performance. Charlton were very poor but you never see a team dominate another in the way that we did. Nelsen going off caused a big upheavel as well but it didn't change the game at all.

The difference for me was that Tugay was playing and when he is on his game he is the best player around in his position. I thought he was fantastic yesterday and showed the rest how to play in midfield. He linked well with Savage as well who seems happy to do all the running while Tugay strokes it round. I just hope he can have another season next time like this one because he makes such a diference and I can't see how we could replace him if we want to keep playing the passing game.

Great to see a Rovers team just knocking the ball around and controlling everything though.

I also thought the front 2 looked really good together and when Bentley came on we looked a real threat when we went forward. If we don't sign Pongolle we need to get someone who can play a similar role as Bellamy seems to like playing with him.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Chorley conviniently loose at home to Fleetwood in the sunshine, match finishing at a perfect 5.00pm. Sat in a warm, sunny Prince of Wales in Chorley watching Rovers take the ###### out of Charlton with 4 pints of draught Staropramen, safe in the knowledge that Birmingham had been relegated. What a brill afternoon.

Exactly what I was thinking.  It's about interpretation.  Styles is trying to be a modern day Elleray.  He actually motioned to Bellamy to stand up straight but there was clearly no need to book him.  Sadly Styles is a pr1ck who referees not on respect but more in the style of a traffic warden.

403357[/snapback]

Agree about styles, how he managed to book 7 players in a game without any tackles of any note and devoid of controversy and incident is beyond me.

Mr Styles is gaining a reputation for liking his notebook abit too much just ask Sylvain Distin.

That is an interesting fact ozziejones.

I thought Bentley looked good when he came on yesterday, he seemed to want to get forward and supply the ball to the strikers and wasn't afraid to let Reid bomb past him and take up a moire central position to draw defenders away from Bellamy which i thought worked very well.

Bring on the Chelski.

Ozz how could you drink that crap ??

I really didnt expect a Rovers win when I posted pre match, I dident think it would go our way.

The events leading to kick off were nothing short of amazing when Curbs resigned and it was announced over the pa system huh.gif

Rovers totally controlled the game.

We had so much space but were not clinical enough.

2-0 fair result and its a low finish of 8th or higher smile.gif

If Rovers play anywhere near as bad at the back on Tuesday Chelsea will score 5 without reply.

thats my only criticism.

Great night in Blackpool, Leeds and Brum fans kicking off, Joey Blower on top form in The Merry England and the kebabs gave me the shIItes blink.gif

Great result, the unbelievable events just before kick off clearly knocked all the stuffing out of both the Charlton team and crowd and made it little more than a training exercise for us.

Notwithstanding that the performance was far removed from our largely dreary efforts over the last 4 games and the main difference for me was Pongolle. Even though he should have scored early on, we look a totally different proposition with him in the side, intelligent movement, slick flowing football and balls into feet.

Reid had another stormer, hope we get him signed up to his improved deal asap.

Vital three points, means we can have a real go on Tuesday night and if we field the same starting eleven I honestly think we'll win with Chelski having already clinched the title.

Great performance and result, which takes us nearer to Europe. Memo to Hughesey: Rap Tugs up in cotton wool prior to every game. He was immense.

403346[/snapback]

You forgot to add in your memo to MH: Stick tape over the mouths of Bellers and Sav before each game!

Even though Charlton's customary poor finish to the season seemed to start in December and Rovers' customary strong finish to the season seems to be on the blink this year, I guess it wasn't too surprising that we got the victory. I actually haven't seen any of the game (Rovers always seem to be on the telly when I'm otherwise engaged these days) but its great to hear of us stroking the ball around comfortably after our recent sticky patch. Hopefully we can hold our position from those oh so sneaky Geordies (where the hell have they come from anyway?).

You forgot to add in your memo to MH: Stick tape over the mouths of Bellers and Sav before each game!

403530[/snapback]

Both bookings were harsh when you consider the amount of verbals referees get every week from players of the "big four" clubs with no action taken.

Notwithstanding that the performance was far removed from our largely dreary efforts over the last 4 games and the main difference for me was Pongolle. Even though he should have scored early on, we look a totally different proposition with him in the side, intelligent movement, slick flowing football and balls into feet.

Agreed, which is even more puzzling why hughes put him out in the cold the last 4/5 games (exception lpool)thought he was finished at rovers hence why he bought gallagher back. Also Tugays played very well and controlled the game from midfield.

2 points from 2 games and we are in Uefa. Tuesday should be interesting chelsea I guess will be on rest mode given the impending world cup we might just get an unexpected win but I would settle for a point.

Lee

Surprised Charlton sold out - on sky and meaningless fopr them - is it cheap tickets?

I'm sorted luckily in Directors Box as one of their directors is a fellow regular at a London pub!

2-0 bellamy and Reid

402171[/snapback]

I thank you

Just back from match Sunday late.

6 fouls and 4 bookings as compared with celebrity refereeing!

We might as well get stuck in on tuesday night and scare Chelski a bit.

Not enough stress on thread as to Lucas on Saturday...clearly man of match and absolutely immense at full-back and centre half. Two draws or one win to be sure.

Need everyone there on Tuesday night.

we did the least fouls out of all prem teams

yet got the joint amount of most bookings

403688[/snapback]

Thats what we call reputation. Mourinho and Arsene's rants last season made a permanent impression of referees' minds.

Surprising how the media uses bookings as the sole measure of "ill discipline"

Maybe its just me or something, but went to Charlton on sat and thought that Pongolle was abosultley bloody awful, as did many people around me. Poor control, didnt hold the ball up, couldnt find a blue and white shirt with a pass and looked completely unthreatning! The amount of times we made 15 passes amongst our players holding onto the ball for like 2 mins or something, only for it to immediatly break down once it got to Pongollle.

Enough of the negatives tho, it was exactly the kind of victory we needed. Everybody was talking about Chels winning the league, Rooneys injury or blues going down etc.. whilst we quietly almost garanteed ourself 6th place at the end of the season. Great atmosphere from our fans and a good turn out, although there were tickets on sale on the day, contrary to some people on here. Tugay was superb and was the difference today and its good to see Reid scoring from midfield.

A point against Chels would be good enough to get uefa, cos i cant see us loosing to man city! 8th place garanteed rover.gif Finally, a big round of applause to Curbs who has been a terrific manager for the past 15 yrs. For someone my age, when i first got into football as a 6yr old 13 years ago, its amazing to have a manager from then still managing now. Curbs take a bow, you have taken Charlton miles!

Both bookings were harsh when you consider the amount of verbals referees get every week from players of the "big four" clubs with no action taken.

403627[/snapback]

That may very well be so, BUT, both Sav and Bellers have a reputuation amongst referees these days for being gobby. So they are starting every match with a handicap (deserved or not) and until they have BOTH demonstrated over a fair period that they have learnt a bit of discipline, this situation is not going to change.

MH should acquaint them both of this fact in no uncertain terms!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.