BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Rise And Fall Of Mgp

I've got to say I'd probably prefer playing Peter next season over accepting a part deal involving Reid. 

If we fail to qualify for Europe, I think that selling MGP could be a good move in that it would give us anice bit of cash to put towards new players.

401401[/snapback]

Andy Reid can also play centre midfield (much better player). I would love for us to sign him. His left foot is one out the best (from play and dead ball) and he can see the play as well. A bit of a belly, but sure look at Gascoine.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like MGP he is one player that the media just doesn't slag off unlik ever other player we have.

I think he has potential but i also beleive that he is starting to believe his own hype, yes he scores very good goals but apart from that, what else does he do. I think that it is quite funny that all my non-rovers supporting mates think he is the dogs nuts just because they have seen the highlights on MOTD of his goals but when i took them to the Liverpool game with me last Sunday when i was feeling crap, they noticed how poor he really can be.

But in his defence, it cannot be too easy trying to cover for Mickey Gray at Left Back when he goes missing can it? Everyone has a purple patch and every player goes through a bad patch in the same season but its the truly great players who can ride through the bad patches and come out of them a better player and a man in that right. I hope MGP proves to be a top player. I think i'll end on that note lol.

Emerton and Pedersen have receieved a lot of criticism this season, as have Reid and Bentley when they have played on the wings. I think this is because life as a Blackburn winger is very difficult. We don't have much aerial presence and there's very rarely many players in the box when a winger receeives the ball. Bellamy makes a run down the line from the winger and the centre midfielders always seem to prefer to lurk outside the area to get the second ball once the cross is cleared. I've also noticed that none of our players ever attack the near post at crosses.

As people have said 5 million plus would be a bare minimum for any midfielder who can bag you over 10 goals a season. As for Andy Reid, he's a fat man who cant even get into spurs team when they have no other natural left sided midfielders. He was good at Div 1 level, and not too bad for Ireland, but I'd expect somebody a little better than him if we were even contemplating selling MGP.

One thing that really puzzles me about MGP - he is a fantastic taker of a free kick and extremely accurate but when he takes a corner, his delivery is p!ss poor and around 50% (or more) fail to clear the defender on the front post.

Could the reason be any of the following :-

1. He was born within the Arctic Circle

2. He has fair hair

3. He lives in Manchester

4. He has a fit girlfriend

5. He speaks English with a Norwegian accent.

6. Possibly another reason.

Andy Reid can also play centre midfield (much better player). I would love for us to sign him.  His left foot is one out the best (from play and dead ball) and he can see the play as well.  A bit of a belly, but sure look at Gascoine.

401422[/snapback]

Are you really comparing Reid, someone who has done basically nothing at domestic or international level, to Gascgoine?

Maybe MGP is burnt out, i know i am going to get slated for saying that but maybe it is true.

The lad has never played so many games in his career, he's played nearly every Premiership match, all of our cup matches and played for Norway in WC qualification and friendlys. Now i know he is a Premiership footballer and IMO they shouldn't ever be burnt out but maybe this is a possibility. Las season he didn't play half as many matches, in Norway he would have played even fewer games and as such i think burn out is a real possibility.

Just look at how well he performed in the first 6 months of the season, he was fresh then and looked really nto his football. A sympton of burn out is looking lathergic durng exercise.

Slate me all you like for suggessting it but IMO it may be happening to him.

Hang on, you are joking aren't you?

Slagging off MGP and advocating Andy Reid as a replacement?

I didn't see the Brum game but was MGP THAT bad?

401427[/snapback]

I'm not slagging MGP off. I just feel that maybe he lacks certain skills that Rovers need, such as a player who can pass from open play and skin a defender. Andy Reid in my option has much more promise than MGP. People say that he is second rate as he cant get in the spurs side, yet Keane only managed to break into it just before Xmas. Why is Andy Reid such a bad suggestion???? And how does MGP offer more than Reid??? Is there anything wrong with wanting more, I dont think, so! At the end of the day I just want the best for Rovers, so I hope I am wrong in my views, But I'm not!

What you're suggesting is that he used to score goals direct from corners against kids, so he should try it in the Premier League? Against, y'know, good keepers? Keepers who can reach the crossbar? In over a season of trying, all he does is occasionally achieve one where the goalkeeper has to tip it over again. He hits the first man far more often than he does this.

Whipping set pieces on target at pace is extremely useful from free kicks at an angle - see Man united away, Boro at home. In my opinion, we should be scoring more goals from corners with the kind of delivary he is capable of, if he'd just put it in the box. I can only think of one goal (Norwich at home) where the corner-shot has worked, and that involved Dickov flicking on a ball at a very strange angle to stop the ball going out of play at the near side.

401277[/snapback]

No, I'm explaining WHY he has tried it. It clearly hasn't paid any dividends this season, but at least it's not as bad as players who take short corners!! All I'm saying really is he's been trying to score from corners because he's actually bizarrely good at it. I imagine he's been knocking a few of them in in training against Big Brad, or Sparky would have told him to knock it on the head by now. Perhaps it's time for him to knock it on the head, or perhaps he's just been a bit unlucky. Sometimes players who are great at scoring from free kicks have a season where very few or perhaps none go in. I admit to being a little perplexed as to why MGP can't usually whip especially good corners into the box considering how good his placement of the ball is in general. Though, one explanation might be that we lack a bit of height in the team, so perhaps he just can't spot midgets like Bellers and Dickov!

He's not actually good at it. Taken dozens, scored none, not so great.

401535[/snapback]

Not sure you're listening mate. He's displayed a talent at it from an early age, and one imagines he must still be doing it in training. The problem, as Bellamy11 pointed out, is the keepers are better at dealing with it at this level. We've never been a team that prolifically scores from corners anyway. You think we score every dozen corners do you? Cos we don't.

You think we score every dozen corners do you? Cos we don't.

401537[/snapback]

Because they're all shots! We have scored one corner as a direct result of him trying to shoot. Unless you can name any others. I can think of two Andy Todd goals this season that have come from different types of corners, and I'm not counting the one against Villa where it was never really cleared from a corner either.

We all saw the telegraph article about him scoring six in one game. It's a bit of a strange thing to point out to me - he wouldn't be shooting if he didn't think he could score would he?

Because they're all shots! We have scored one corner as a direct result of him trying to shoot. Unless you can name any others. I can think of two Andy Todd goals this season that have come from different types of corners, and I'm not counting the one against Villa where it was never really cleared from a corner either.

We all saw the telegraph article about him scoring six in one game. It's a bit of a strange thing to point out to me - he wouldn't be shooting if he didn't think he could score would he?

401539[/snapback]

Ok. Do you think ANY team scores every dozen corners? Except maybe Chelsea, with that bugger Terry blasting them in. It's not like he shoots EVERY corner he takes. Yet you're saying we've bagged two from normal corners, one from this. Hardly seems like it's cost us too dearly. Can't contribute to the stats for corner goals mind, perhaps someone else can.

Obviously no, he wouldn't be shooting if he didn't think he could score. If he doesn't for much longer, he's bound to give it up. The point is though, Hughes wouldn't be letting him shoot from them if he didn't think he could score them.

I reckon he's come pretty close a couple of times, and we could conceivably get one anyway if the keeper doesn't handle the pressure well if it drops into the box after a poor tip (That makes it a must against David James!).

Not sure you're listening mate. He's displayed a talent at it from an early age, and one imagines he must still be doing it in training. The problem, as Bellamy11 pointed out, is the keepers are better at dealing with it at this level. We've never been a team that prolifically scores from corners anyway. You think we score every dozen corners do you? Cos we don't.

401537[/snapback]

It's nothing to do with the standard of keeping when it doesn't even beat the first man, which is the case with about 8/10 MGP corners.

Edited by tcj_jones

Ok. Do you think ANY team scores every dozen corners? Except maybe Chelsea, with that bugger Terry blasting them in. It's not like he shoots EVERY corner he takes. Yet you're saying we've bagged two from normal corners, one from this. Hardly seems like it's cost us too dearly. Can't contribute to the stats for corner goals mind, perhaps someone else can.

Obviously no, he wouldn't be shooting if he didn't think he could score. If he doesn't for much longer, he's bound to give it up. The point is though, Hughes wouldn't be letting him shoot from them if he didn't think he could score them.

I reckon he's come pretty close a couple of times, and we could conceivably get one anyway if the keeper doesn't handle the pressure well if it drops into the box after a poor tip (That makes it a must against David James!).

401543[/snapback]

I'm not saying we've bagged two from normal ones. I'm saying that I can straightaway name two goals simply from one player from normal corners. Even if MGP scores one of these corners, it doesn't make up for the other 80 he hasn't scored from. He'd have to score 3-5 corners a season just to justify not aiming for decent headers of the ball like Nelsen.

He hasn't scored from a corner in one and a half seasons. I don't care if every one of his corners in training goes in. That would say far more abot Brad than MGP. He shouldn't shoot from corners at all. If he ever does score one then sadly it will be taken as concrete justification for the dozens upon dozens of times he has tried it and hit the first defender.

I'm not saying we've bagged two from normal ones. I'm saying that I can straightaway name two goals simply from one player from normal corners. Even if MGP scores one of these corners, it doesn't make up for the other 80 he hasn't scored from. He'd have to score 3-5 corners a season just to justify not aiming for decent headers of the ball like Nelsen.

He hasn't scored from a corner in one and a half seasons. I don't care if every one of his corners in training goes in. That would say far more abot Brad than MGP. He shouldn't shoot from corners at all. If he ever does score one then sadly it will be taken as concrete justification for the dozens upon dozens of times he has tried it and hit the first defender.

401545[/snapback]

Surely, 80 is an exaggeration?

Suppose for argument's sake that half of MGP's corners are shots. Nelsen hasn't scored all season. If MGP used all his corners to put it in, mathematically speaking he still wouldn't score, but let's assume he got 1 goal as a result. Pedersen, with a bit of chance, could've scored one this season, maybe two, from corners. Do you disagree?

Point taken Colin. It's hardly of major importance- I'm just pleased we're no longer doing short corners! I'll give it a rest, especially since nobody seems to remotely agree with me on it biggrin.gif

I'm not slagging MGP off. I just feel that maybe he lacks certain skills that Rovers need, such as a player who can pass from open play and skin a defender.  Andy Reid in my option has much more promise than MGP.  People say that he is second rate as he cant get in the spurs side, yet Keane only managed to break into it just before Xmas.  Why is Andy Reid such a bad suggestion???? And how does MGP offer more than Reid???  Is there anything wrong with wanting more, I dont think, so! At the end of the day I just want the best for Rovers, so I hope I am wrong in my views, But I'm not!

401525[/snapback]

The difference between Reid struggling to get in there and Keane is that Keane was competing with Jermain Defoe, a very highly rated striker, and Mido, another highly rated striker who has been in particularly effective form. Besides, Keane actually won his battle for a place, despite that competition. Reid has managed 8 starts all year, although this is partly due to injury, with no naturally left footed competition.

Point taken Colin. It's hardly of major importance- I'm just pleased we're no longer doing short corners! I'll give it a rest, especially since nobody seems to remotely agree with me on it  biggrin.gif

The difference between Reid struggling to get in there and Keane is that Keane was competing with Jermain Defoe, a very highly rated striker, and Mido, another highly rated striker who has been in particularly effective form. Besides, Keane actually won his battle for a place, despite that competition. Reid has managed 8 starts all year, although this is partly due to injury, with no naturally left footed competition.

401569[/snapback]

But just because the move to spurs is not working out does not mean he cant do it, for someone else, as Todd not a reserve when he signed for us, Botlon do it all the time.

First Emerton, then Pedersen. You dont notice their contribution. MGP scores some amazing goals and attracts fans and Bert often covers well for Neill and is a good sub as he can come on and scare the defenders ****less with his pace. Both have good and bad points yet us Rovers fans only see the bad points. Both are frustrating but are at least good squad players.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.