BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers 2 Spuds 1

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned this one yet, maybe it is just too obvious?

Blackburn Rovers 2 Tottenham Hotspur 1. League Cup Final, Millenium Stadium, Cardiff.

A sea of blue-and-white across half the stadium as 30,000 Rovers fans made the journey down. Tottenham started the better but a lightening-quick reaction by Jansen to a ricochet of a ball fed in by Keith Gillespie saw us take the lead. Superman in our goal was man of the match, keeping Spurs out time after time. Although he couldn't keep out their equaliser, although I can't even remember who scored it.

Second half...and despite Spurs again having the best chances our new hero, Andy Cole, pounced on an error by future England international Ledley King. It seemed only a half chance yet it crept into the corner past the Spurs keeper, not sure who was in goal for them. Kasey Keller?

If there was one defining moment of the game though it took place in the last minute. Right in front of the referee it looked as if Sheringham had been sent flying. Fortunately Teddy made too much of a meal of it and the ref played on...

...and that was it. 74 years since our last major cup win and Rovers were back in the medals and back in Europe.

Looking back...although it was a great day there was a nagging reminder at the back of the mind that relegation still had to be battled against. We were well in the drop-zone IIRC on the day of the match.

The celebrations didn't really begin until the last match of the season when we were by then safe...and we even sneaked into tenth place, and top half, thanks to our late season run. However...worrying about relegation didn't stop Rovers fans painting the city of Cardiff blue and white one February weekend back in 2002.

thumbs-up.gif

rover.gif I paid for my mate and his son to go to this game,he was down on his luck and i was up on mine,i think zieger him off boro/liverpoo scored for them,my fondest memories was the snow in blackburn as we left,a coach with 4 asian's on who all had there faces painted blue and white,whilst the rest off the coach declined.

4 spurs fans picking on the wrong father and son,and after the game we walked through thousands off spurs fans,singing our heads off.7 hour coach journey back,drinking that vodka flavered lemonade tinykit.gif

Took my nephew to cardiff. Great day out!

Still haven`t seen a video of the game on telly.

Anyone know if it can be bought? huh.gif

I got the train into Cardiff from Bath. It was full of Spurs fans, with a small smattering of Roverites. These Spurs supporting lads saw my Rovers shirt and began chanting and joking showing their over confidence. Really loud they were.

Not so loud on the way back though. tongue.gif

And thus began my dislike of Spurs fans (although I'd prefer them to get 4th than Arsenal)

I loved the picture of us being given the cup that day. They set the thing up in the Spurs end with nobody in the crowd when the picture was taken due to the Spuds fans leaving. I had to laugh at that, i will try and dig the picture out lads. lol.

user posted image

This is the best one i could find on google for now but i will dig out the one that is in my bedroom sometime and scan it in because it is a classic.

Edited by ihatethedingles

My first Rovers match. Been hooked ever since!

Visited family in Swindon the day before, and on the day drove along the M4 in the company of carloads of arrogant Spurs fans. Miss Roversmum and JJ bouncing up and down and shaking their fists at them!

The drive home up the M6 was fantastic!

What a brilliant day!

Oh and here is Glenn Hoddle consoling his players...

user posted image

Hahahaha!  biggrin.gif  tongue.gif  laugh.gif

402616[/snapback]

Looks like he's trying the old Vulcan Mind Meld. Dangerous stuff.

"My mind to your mind..."

While in the background Gorman looks like he's pulled.

Edited by ozziejones

awsome day, jansen was immense that day, if you remember he got subbed by yordi, who are you with 15 mins to go??? laugh.gif

sullivan was in goal for spuds and ziege scored the equalizer because tiny taylor was right back and was getting skinned in the first half.

got the train up early in the morning, the pubs and the atmo before the game was class, can't remember much after the game, i was smashed.

hughes was playing central midfield that day with dunn smile.gif

i had perfect seats int he second tier right behind the goal, iv'e never seen him since but the poor chap who was sitting in front of me (a grant mitchel lookalike) if your on here, i'm sorry for slapping your head all the time and standing on your sholders when we scored, i did say sorry at the time but i think we were so wasted and going wild and by the smile on his face i don't think he was bothered, a top bloke. rover.gif

Got hospitality from Britvic, met by boss (then) at Birmingham services and went to the ground in one car. Got there in the pouring rain, and went to the suite upstairs for the grub. Into the stadium and surprise, surprise, we're sat with all the spurs fans. Not in a Rovers shirt because of the pre match meal (see photo in gallery) we took our seats for kick off.

From then on I lost my effing mind. Everytime a Spurs forward move ended in nothing, on me feet surrounded by yids "calm down... nothing happened" blink.gif A combination of wonder keeping from Brad and Sheringham not getting the penalty and we were there smile.gif

Then I learned a valuable lesson, always arrange overnight accommodation in Cardiff. We set off from the ground, and travelled about 2 miles in two hours.

• 3 months later...

rember the night before quite well

watched theres only one jimmy grimble on sky movies, the off to bed.

Stayed at my mates that night, we woke up at 4:30 dead excited and stayed awake incase we missed the match, rember going down on coach, coach 92. Rember service station blue and white all over. Lost my mate in cardiff walked ground on my own. The match is a blur rember fridels save 1on1 with les on the edge of box!!! I was right online with that!!! Rember rovers scoring me and my mate went mental.

End off game seeing older rovers fans cry with tears of joy

and sherwood on screen

"Sherwood whats the score sherwood sherwood whats the score"

Seeing all the spuds coachs on motorway home, us with braggin rights :D

Also i rember day the tickets went on sale i cued up for about 6-7 hours for my ticket :o

• 1 month later...

Did anyone see the coverage on Sky Sports when back at Ewood? We were first coach that got back and got interviewed but I never managed to see if it was on

This is also where I took MICKEFIN's flag after he left it, jesus it was huge

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh ho we laughed at the cockneys who had spouted off about how Hoddle had led them to Europe before the game even started. And then the bitterness from them when we won.....good grief. It was this game that made me hate Spurs and their fans.

One performance stood out for me, as I had thought it was a stupid move to put him there. He was too old, out of position and would get skinned by the quick Spurs players-yes I am talking about Mark Hughes in midfield. If it wasn't for Brad paying back his free transfer and showing everyone that it was a fantastic stroke of genius signing him, Hughes would have been man of of match.

• 4 months later...

A good game, a great day out and - most importantly - a historic result for the club.

It's funny how time alters your perspective about a particular game. I remember back then it was the 'Worthless Cup' and the competition was widely derided by all concerned. Fergie had slated it and Wenger had fielded a bunch of total no-hopers in the quarter final, who we promptly trounced 4-0.

However, now the League Cup is once again seen as a handy trophy to bag early doors - and only ever won by the Big Four (bar Boro a few years back) - that day's win has taken on much greater gravitas with the passage of time.

At that time, we were in a relegation battle in the league, while Spurs were on a great run of form. In all honesty, I didn't rate our chances, and neither did many of the pundits.

Drove up to Cardiff with my sister from London to meet my dad. Wasn't it absolutely chucking it down? Yes, it was, that's why they had the roof shut. The rain didn't dampen the party vibes among rival fans in the streets around the stadium and the closed roof seemed to bottle the atmosphere within the Millenium when we got inside.

I was sat miles away from my family on my own. The stadium was so huge, I couldn't even find my dad and sister with a pair of binoculars.

Game got underway and it was clear both sides were pretty evenly matched. Anyone remember why Tugay wasn't playing? I believe Flitty was suspended and I remember thinking it was a match too far for one Mark Hughes Esq in midfield !!!! Thankfully the old bruiser proved me wrong.

Magic Matty Jansen scored the opener - how sad to realise now it was to prove the pinnacle of his doomed career. Spurs were full value for their equaliser and arguably edged the rest of the game, but it was King Cole who scored the vital winner with a very cute finish.

I remember the late penalty appeal and even though I was sat about half a mile up in the Stevie Wonder seats (couldn't see sh*t!), I instinctively KNEW it was a cast-iron spotkick. We really owe Graham Poll a debt of gratitude for stuffing that one up.

The final part of the game dragged on interminably and I recall a group of fans sat to my left chanting "15 minutes till we win the Cup," "12 minutes till we win the Cup" and so on. I was sure they were tempting fate and Spurs would score to take it into extra time.

That wasn't to be the case thankfully and we held on to win. I remember Souey - who I still have huge affection for - looked incredibly proud to have guided Rovers to a trophy. His "This is a GREAT day for the little club" post-match comments still give me chills.

On the way home there were horrendous traffic jams all the way back to London. All the Spurs fans looked thoroughly miserable - it was great!!!

A good game, a great day out and - most importantly - a historic result for the club.

It's funny how time alters your perspective about a particular game. I remember back then it was the 'Worthless Cup' and the competition was widely derided by all concerned. Fergie had slated it and Wenger had fielded a bunch of total no-hopers in the quarter final, who we promptly trounced 4-0.

However, now the League Cup is once again seen as a handy trophy to bag early doors - and only ever won by the Big Four (bar Boro a few years back) - that day's win has taken on much greater gravitas with the passage of time.

At that time, we were in a relegation battle in the league, while Spurs were on a great run of form. In all honesty, I didn't rate our chances, and neither did many of the pundits.

Drove up to Cardiff with my sister from London to meet my dad. Wasn't it absolutely chucking it down? Yes, it was, that's why they had the roof shut. The rain didn't dampen the party vibes among rival fans in the streets around the stadium and the closed roof seemed to bottle the atmosphere within the Millenium when we got inside.

I was sat miles away from my family on my own. The stadium was so huge, I couldn't even find my dad and sister with a pair of binoculars.

Game got underway and it was clear both sides were pretty evenly matched. Anyone remember why Tugay wasn't playing? I believe Flitty was suspended and I remember thinking it was a match too far for one Mark Hughes Esq in midfield !!!! Thankfully the old bruiser proved me wrong.

Magic Matty Jansen scored the opener - how sad to realise now it was to prove the pinnacle of his doomed career. Spurs were full value for their equaliser and arguably edged the rest of the game, but it was King Cole who scored the vital winner with a very cute finish.

I remember the late penalty appeal and even though I was sat about half a mile up in the Stevie Wonder seats (couldn't see sh*t!), I instinctively KNEW it was a cast-iron spotkick. We really owe Graham Poll a debt of gratitude for stuffing that one up.

The final part of the game dragged on interminably and I recall a group of fans sat to my left chanting "15 minutes till we win the Cup," "12 minutes till we win the Cup" and so on. I was sure they were tempting fate and Spurs would score to take it into extra time.

That wasn't to be the case thankfully and we held on to win. I remember Souey - who I still have huge affection for - looked incredibly proud to have guided Rovers to a trophy. His "This is a GREAT day for the little club" post-match comments still give me chills.

On the way home there were horrendous traffic jams all the way back to London. All the Spurs fans looked thoroughly miserable - it was great!!!

He was suspended too.

I read somewhere that Graham Poll, when asked about the 'penalty' quite recently said something along the lines that Sheringham 'looked straight at me as he went down, that was why I didn't award a penalty.'

I never could abide Sheringham so to hear that was sweet to me!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.