BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelsea

user posted image <--- Robbie Savage celebrates with the fans.

Gotta love this bloke. He decided to to give up his obligatory moaning/game-saving tackle yellow card today by donating it to the fans. Selfless. wink.gif

Come on, Waggy, he's brilliant. Feel the love.

user posted imagewub.gif

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt be too harsh on the axe because (again) he was out of position tonight when he came on, plus players need a run in the side to get full form.

404207[/snapback]

Does the Axe have a position? Holding midfield, I know that's what he'd claim but he's hardly 'proved' he can play there.

Hughes is obviously persevering with him because he is one of his signings but if he doesn't have the confidence to play him as second choice right back or second choice centre half, I really can't see him staying for too long.

But aside from that issue, Hughes and the players deserve massive respect getting Rovers back into the big time...... Okay UEFA cup football is hardly the big time but you know what I mean.

Right, now we can look forward to a horrendous season next year - if our last UEFA cup seasons are anything to go by..... thumbs-up.gifph34r.gif

Fantastic stuff, reminded me of the 1-0 win against Newcastle in 1995 as well. In the off season last year a friend of mine asked me what my ambitions for Rovers were for this season. I replied saying sixth place would be great, he laughed and said we had no chance. So there it is for all you doubters. WE HAVE DONE IT!

I thought this would go till the final game of the season as and I think a lot of other fans thought the same judging by the poor crowd tonight. The ticket office said Sundays game was selling well. It will be my dad's first game at Ewood! I'm giving him a crash course in rovers history etc.

Neill's comments in the after-match about Rovers being a "small club" show where he is coming from and going to.....At least Sav pulled him up and said "no we are a big club now"

404224[/snapback]

I'm not happy with Neill at the moment. He's really not helping anyone like him with his comments, especially after his comments in relation to his future just a few days ago. It's very disappointing that he got the captain's armband tonight. Surely someone more committed to the club, like a Tugay or a Reid, could have worn the armband.

He did have a top game tonight, though.

Edited by James No. 7

Superb game - glad I escaped work and got there. Best atmosphere since VE day - even better than when we were 4-1 up against the scum!

When did Mickey Gray decide he was a left winger!?! And did he tell anyone else. Absolute great evening

All I can say about Neill is that he was class on Saturday and class again today. We can read into his comments all we like and he can have them taken out of context or whatever it is, but he's done the business and that is all I really want from him. Now if he could put his name to a new contract I'd be very happy.

Does the Axe have a position? Holding midfield, I know that's what he'd claim but he's hardly 'proved' he can play there.

Hughes is obviously persevering with him because he is one of his signings but if he doesn't have the confidence to play him as second choice right back or second choice centre half, I really can't see him staying for too long.

But aside from that issue, Hughes and the players deserve massive respect getting Rovers back into the big time...... Okay UEFA cup football is hardly the big time but you know what I mean.

Right, now we can look forward to a horrendous season next year - if our last UEFA cup seasons are anything to go by.....  thumbs-up.gif  ph34r.gif

404222[/snapback]

Who was in charge then? I'll give you a clue; it begins with Sou.....

I'm not happy with Neill at the moment. He's really not helping anyone like him with his comments,

I dont think he said anything wrong really, just stated that we were a small club with a relatively small squad. He did talk mention pushing on again next year, and gave the fans credit for the atmosphere tonight stating we have been behind them all season.

Mourinho seems convinced that they should've had 2 penalties but Chelsea didn't exactly help themselves with Wright Phillips with a few pathetic dives and even Duffer was at it a few times, always gonna put a doubt in the refs mind!

Very good performance tonight, I was especially pleased with our makeshift defense. Neill was excellent, Reid deputised well, and Zura again didn't put a foot wrong. I like the fact that Zura is good at playing the ball out of defense well, even under a lot of pressure, and not just hoof it upfield.

We were the better team and deserved the three points, but two small mistakes could've lost us the game. Mokoena's shirt pulling was a blatant penalty (The fact that the chelsea player went down like he had been shot is irrelevant, there was still a clear foul), and I've seen similar incidents as the other two penalty appeals been given before. The ref did give Chelsea something in return when he didn't send Geremi off for a second bookable offense, but we still got lucky.

But I'm not gonna dwell on that anymore. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not. That's life. I'll just enjoy the fact that we're in Europe next year, and that we beat the champions!

There were a number of really good performances tonight, in no particular order, Zurab, Reid, Gray, (Who the hell gave him 6.5?) Savage (immense) Tugay (until he tired) Reid.

And yes, Neill. On the evidence of the last 2 games he's infinitely more comfortable at CB than RB. Don't centre backs fetch more money than right backs?

Without criticising him overall MGP was quite awful on the night. He clearly needs a rest and the season seems to have been about 6 weeks too long for him. Look forward to seeing him fresh and rested next season.

Peter on the other hand put in a stunning cameo. His flicked ball to Bellamy immediately after coming on was one of the best I've ever seen.

Savage's reaction after the whistle was telling, having a character like that on the pitch and around the club must be a massive boost, what we've been missing for years.

The main stars of the show obviously Mark Hughes and his coaching staff.

We rode our luck in parts tonight but at the end of the season you generally end up where you deserve and so it was with us. We weren't quite good enough for 4th but then there's always next year...................

Edited by RevidgeBlue

What a performance, well deserved 3 points and as Jose says we are a team who deserves european football.

God knows how we didn't give a pen away but still the ref missed a blatent 2nd yellow for geremi.

Delighted that we have come good again when the pressure was really on and punished noblob and nukecastle for slip ups. Caps a fantastic week, Bye Bye Brummies, hello Europe!!!! rover.gif

Mark Hughes is a Genius! tinykit.gif

Just watched the game, I must say the Blackburn End in full swing dancing and all got me a bit teary eyed and lumpy throated. Great acheivement. ###### at Pedersen again. Peter is making a point or two with the gaffer I am sure. Apart from the one you mention Rev, the ball cross field to Bellamy would have been spectacular had the defender not done so well.

Great, well done everyone at the club.

Had a laugh at the beginning the commentators were talking how Hughes had given a new lease of life to Souness' players, Reid, Gray and..... Robbie Savage??? They know nothing do they.

What a game! I was really getting nervous during the second half, especially with that ref! Such odd calls, even though a few were in our favour, I don't know what he was thinking. Kudos to everyone on Blackburn, not all had an excellent individual game but overall they were great.

The atmosphere was amazing, I really wish I had been there.

Great feeling this morning. Fantastic match and result last night.

The whole team was wonderful but the way they gelled when Chelsea really tried to turn it on in the second half was magnificent. Mourinho bringing Duff (great to see him playing so well again but even better the way we handled him) and Joe Cole on shows that he was deadly serious about getting something out of last night's game.

Zura and Neill were fantastic- absolutely brilliant performances but the team was so good all the way through.

Yes, those were two penalties- didn't think that Neill's trip was one when I first saw it but the slomo replay left me in no doubt and how the officials missed the Axe's rugby tackle on Crespo, well let's just say they missed a few the other way as well including a couple of corners for Rovers.

SWP was bought for £21m?!??? At least he ruled himself out of the World Cup squad last night but that was a seriously pathetic effort by the little man.

Fantastic atmosphere from the crowd- I wished so much to be back in Blackburn last night.

Finally to the biggest star of all- Mark Hughes.

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes quoted in the BBC:

"We're absolutely delighted. It's been a huge effort by a lot of people. Sometimes you don't get what you deserve in life - but we have.

"We need to keep moving forward. We came from a point last year where we were rock bottom of the Premier League and were in danger of going down.

"This year we have built on the qualities we had to show last season."

Isn't it wonderful being a Rover- a few judicious signings and we could be in for an amazing season next year.

Edited by philipl

The atmosphere last night was superb, especially in the latter stages. If ever there was an example of how the reaction of a football crowd should be spontaneous rather than orchestrated, last night was it.

With five or so minutes to go the Blackburn End stood up en masse. Some had been standing for ages but then the whole end got up. There was no signal, it just happened and to a deafening and continuous chant of Barmy Army.

Absolutely brilliant. I said 1-0 before the game, should've put a tenner on! Tight bar stewards us Darweners.

I've only been to two European games so far but to anyone in doubt or mulling it over.....get saving, it's an experience to savour with the Ankara trip being one of my best ever Rovers highlights. Just hope we can draw an attractive club fairly close to home.

Well done Rovers! tinykit.gif

Another massive scalp. Another brilliant result. We outclassed Chelsea all over the park for long periods last night.

Newcastle were breathing down our necks but finally we have the UEFA spot tied up. Brilliant. thumbs-up.giftinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.