BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mclaren

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you grumpy lot known as England fans do if you won the Euro 08 tourney with McClaren  ( !!  ) as manager?there would be alot of crow to be eaten.

405315[/snapback]

Well frankly those of us who reckon he's sh*te would have to hold our hands up and admit we were wrong. I hope I have to do that - nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Engerland win a major tournament. It won't be happening.

Look at his league record as Boro manager - it's average at best, and p*ss-poor if you factor in the money spent.

Look at how his teams play - dull, dull, dull, dull

Look at his record as England coach - as many people have pointed out on here, at the key moments England have failed and he is tainted by that already

It isn't enough for England to qualify. At the VERY least, with the world-class players we've got and regardless of the manager, England should be reaching quarter finals - a world-class manager will take us those two steps further.

The people on here who reckon we are being negative and hysterical in criticising McClaren answer this honestly. Do you really think we've now got a world-class manager to take us those two steps further?

Why do people assume we need an English manager to coach the England team? Australia had been using Australian coaches for some time and never made a World Cup until now- under Hiddink. Who we should have got.

Good luck to McClaren, even if I can't envision him having any.

I heard that O'Neill insisted on bringing in all his own backroom staff with whom he has worked with for years, whilst the FA wanted the new man to continue with Sammy Lee, Clemence etc. 

Reading between the lines O'Neill is charismatic and forceful and the FA would never countenance the employment of such a strong personality.

405305[/snapback]

If that is true TND then is smacks of everything I have thought about the FA since the Mr Clough era. They are NOT interested in appointing the best person for the job. Would have been like Rovers forcing Sparky to keep TP on. The man who gets the job must be given total freedom to do the job he was hired to do.

On your reading between the lines I think I mention that elsewhere that Mr O'Neill would be too strong of a person for the FA to deal with, so I agree totally with that one. So what are the REAL requirements of the job, success for the National Footy team or to run the team in a manner as not to embarass the dopes at Soho Square. In other words kiss their pompous arses.

I watched an interview some time back with Simon Jordan having a good old pop at the FA I must say he was spot on.

IUt gets worse! According to the latest news Maclaren is wanting to recruit Terry Venables to help him out! Good grief! Maclarens supposed to be the coach isn't he? What a step back and what an admission of his own self doubt. Has in entered no ones brain cell at the FA that we may as well simply have hired Venables?

Pathetic. This man is straight out of the Howe and Wilkinson mould.

Edited by thenodrog

IUt gets worse!  According to the latest news Maclaren is wanting to recruit Terry Venables to help him out!  Good grief!  Maclarens supposed to be the coach isn't he?  What a step back and what an admission of his own self doubt.  Has in entered no ones brain cell at the FA that we may as well simply have hired Venables?

Pathetic.  This man is straight out of the Howe and Wilkinson mould.

405378[/snapback]

That is indeed scary, didn't Venables help Robson at Boro, bit of irony there then.

Really weak, sends out all the wrong signals in my opinion.

That is indeed scary, didn't Venables help Robson at Boro, bit of irony there then.

Really weak, sends out all the wrong signals in my opinion.

405413[/snapback]

To be fair, every England manager has an assistant. Sven had McClaren, didn't mean we might as well have hired McClaren.

To be fair, every England manager has an assistant. Sven had McClaren, didn't mean we might as well have hired McClaren.

405417[/snapback]

Fair enough if that is in fact the role he wants Venables for. As his full time assistant coach, in other words doing what McClaren did for Sven. That may even work, it will certainley help me feel a bit better.

If any of the big Premier League jobs came up such as Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or United, their respective boards would not even countenance McClaran for the job. Bl**dy Hell, I bet even Newcastle didn't have him anywhere near their shortlist! Yet the ever incompetant FA bumble along and eventually appoint him to one of the most prestigious jobs in the world game.It's enough to make you weep!

I for one think it is the most inspired appointment since Berti Vogts was appointed to the Scotland job.

405144[/snapback]

Don`t post under the influence!

Edited by AlanK

If any of the big Premier League jobs came up such as Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or United, their respective boards would not even countenance McClaran for the job. Bl**dy Hell, I bet even Newcastle didn't have him anywhere near their shortlist!

405515[/snapback]

He'd probably have been interviewed to replace Steve Bruce by Big club. rolleyes.gif

If Middlesbrough win the UEFA Cup on Wednesday night, they will surely be the poorest English team to win a major European trophy for many years. This is a team that lost at home to Sunderland for christ's sake!

Yes, they've played well in Europe - and they've certainly had their fair share of good fortune in the UEFA Cup - but in the Premiership they've often been abysmal.

Incidentally, before McClaren was appointed as England manager last week, the mantra that the England players were coming out with in interviews was on the lines of: "We're not bothered if it's a foreign manager. We just want the best man for the job. We're not worried about nationality. It doesn't have to be an Englishman."

I didn't hear one player come out and say: "It has to be an English manager that takes over from Sven." But now that McClaren has been appointed, I've noticed that the tune coming out of the lips of some of the players has changed slightly.

John Terry now says that McClaren is the right choice because England had to have an English manager this time.

Could someone tell me what happened to Martin O'Neill (my pick for the job).

Henry Winter in the Daily Telegraph recently claimed that O'Neill's hopes were damaged when he was asked by the FA about whether David Beckham would remain as England captain.

O'Neill apparently told the FA that every player would be judged on his footballing merits and not on reputation or commercial value to the FA.

Winter claimed that all the England managerial candidates were asked by the FA in their interviews whether they would be keeping Beckham as captain - with the bigwigs at the FA aware that Beckham's presence generates millions of pounds a year in revenue for the FA through merchandising.

If there is indeed an element of truth in this - that commercial considerations are being given precedence by the FA, then it's a disgrace.

A link to Henry Winter's article is below. (Comments about Martin O'Neill are in the second half of the article.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...29/sfnwin29.xml

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So Scolari would've accepted the job if the FA would've waited until after the World Cup?

In the FA's haste they have missed a great opportunity with Scolari. I never saw why they had to appoint a head coach so quickly :angry:

So Scolari would've accepted the job if the FA would've waited until after the World Cup?

I would have waited until after the NEXT World CUp if it meant we avoided getting McClaren. O'Neill was the man for me and the man for the job. I simply do not see us getting any better under McClaren.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing Scolari's tactics in the World Cup he's only confirmed what I wrote before it started...he's a lucky manager and I'm far happier with McClaren in charge than fat Phil.

Winning the tournament with Brazil was hardly an achievement to write home about, neither was taking Portugal (the home nation) to a final in which the eventual winners were Greece. He had no idea how to break them down, just like he had no idea how to break down our ten men in the quarter-final...remember how much stick Eriksson got for not being able to do the same to Brazil? It's funny how little is said when it happens the other way round.

I think McClaren will pleasantly suprise a lot of people, especially given that he is not afraid to drop older players with bigger names in favour of young players.

Edited by LeChuck