BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mclaren

After seeing Scolari's tactics in the World Cup he's only confirmed what I wrote before it started...he's a lucky manager and I'm far happier with McClaren in charge than fat Phil.

Winning the tournament with Brazil was hardly an achievement to write home about, neither was taking Portugal (the home nation) to a final in which the eventual winners were Greece. He had no idea how to break them down, just like he had no idea how to break down our ten men in the quarter-final...remember how much stick Eriksson got for not being able to do the same to Brazil? It's funny how little is said when it happens the other way round.

I think McClaren will pleasantly suprise a lot of people, especially given that he is not afraid to drop older players with bigger names in favour of young players.

Lucky or not he gets results in big competitions, that is the important thing.

How do you reach the conclusion about McClaren? He was reaching Bolton status with his club side.

I can't see anything changing with McClaren, he will play the same game as SGE without the results

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor deluded lechuck.

Big Phil took a Portuguese side way their natural exit point in this World Cup and won the last World Cup with an inferior Brasil side to this year's. Coaches matter.

I would have been horrified if Rovers had appointed McLaren. Why shouldn't I feel the same way about him running England?

I like LeChuck think we dodged a bullet with scoalri - unfortunately we dodged it to land on the land mine that is MacLaren - Its an FA ploy to ensure that there will never be any opposition to a foreign manager again

Big Phil took a Portuguese side way their natural exit point in this World Cup and won the last World Cup with an inferior Brasil side to this year's.

Phillip, why do you continually spell Brazil with an 's'? In English it's a 'z'.

Phillip, why do you continually spell Brazil with an 's'? In English it's a 'z'.

Well the brazilians spell it with an s, and he is talking about a brazilian/portugese coach where they speak portugese so 1+1= Brasil :P

I was actually only thinking today that we missed an oppurtunity with Scolari.

I don't actually like the guy, but his motivational and unification techniques with Brazil and Portugal have been superb. With McClaren I was disappointed in the appointment, and now even more so.

I fear with Steve we are going to get yet more of the same. Negative tactics with similar players, and minimal motivation from quite a reserved man. While Alladyce has questions over his experience, his motivational attributes and his tactical knowledge would prove a bonus - not to mention a totally fresh start.

McClaren was a big mistake in my view.

I like LeChuck think we dodged a bullet with scoalri - unfortunately we dodged it to land on the land mine that is MacLaren - Its an FA ploy to ensure that there will never be any opposition to a foreign manager again

Then again, you railed about Hargreaves, so he'll probably win a few tournaments...

I don't know if this has been mentioned before on this thread, but apparently Sven didn't take any notice of a thing which McClaren suggested both tactically and training wise and the payers are looking forward to working under him.

He is apparently chomping at the bit to be let loose his methods on the training pitch rather than following orders from Sven and Tord Grip.

We shall see.

A combination of Nicky Campbell and Grahan Taylor (mind-boggling I know) have concluded that England are the new Scotland: http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/...1819094,00.html

It is true and we saw it at the World Cup- no replacement right back, no replacement forwards and the third goal keeper was also Liverpool's third choice keeper.

Rovers have just recruited two German Internationals to the Academy bringing the number of Germans in the youngsters to five. Add to that the recruitment of three Irish youth internationals and the Italians, English footballers have all but died out.

I was struck by that list of ex-Rovers at Brum; four of them English (Dunn, Danns, Taylor, Bruce) all of whom had realistic prospects of senior representative honours but all of them having had a large enough career crisis of one sort or another to be kicking around in the fizzy pop. It seems that there is acongenital failure amongst English footballers to be able to keep their career together.

How many English-born players has the transfer thread suggested the Rovers should go to target? Practically none.

Meantime McLaren is adding Sir Clive Woodward to El Tel amongst his ragtag back room assemblage. It doesn't matter whether McLaren is as poor as some of us suspect, there are no English players for him to pick anyway.

Edited by philipl

Rovers have just recruited two German Internationals to the Academy bringing the number of Germans in the youngsters to five. Add to that the recruitment of three Irish youth internationals and the Italians, English footballers have all but died out.

Do you have any more info on them Phil?

How many English-born players has the transfer thread suggested the Rovers should go to target? Practically none.

To be fair there have been a few...Bent, Johnson, Nugent, the ever-reliable wishes for Dunn and Beattie to return...but generally the prices are prohibitive.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before on this thread, but apparently Sven didn't take any notice of a thing which McClaren suggested both tactically and training wise and the payers are looking forward to working under him.

He is apparently chomping at the bit to be let loose his methods on the training pitch rather than following orders from Sven and Tord Grip.

We shall see.

How relevant is managing a club side compared to coaching the national team? Jurgen Klinsmann just took Germany to third with no previous club experiece and Beckenbauer won the thing without having managed a club side if I recall correctly, although I believe he did manage Bayern afterwards.

Plenty of excellent club managers have fallen on their faces when in charge of a national team. It may be that this is what McClaren is perfectly suited for...

...well, we have to hope don't we? :)

Edited by FourLaneBlue

How relevant is managing a club side compared to coaching the national team? Jurgen Klinsmann just took Germany to third with no previous club experiece and Beckenbauer won the thing without having managed a club side if I recall correctly, although I believe he did manage Bayern afterwards.

And you can add our own Mark Hughes into that list too. Didn't do too shabby with Wales.

Italy have just appointed Roberto Donadoni, with little previous managerial experience, to replace Marcello Lippi. Why? Well...he's a good coach that's why. It's also what is usually said about Stevie Mac..

...mind you, didn't they use to say that about Brian Kidd as well? :(

Italy have just appointed Roberto Donadoni, with little previous managerial experience, to replace Marcello Lippi. Why? Well...he's a good coach that's why. It's also what is usually said about Stevie Mac..

...mind you, didn't they use to say that about Brian Kidd as well? :(

Im sure Mr Kidd would have been a good international coach

Well the brazilians spell it with an s, and he is talking about a brazilian/portugese coach where they speak portugese so 1+1= Brasil :P

Care to comment upon Jurgen Klinsmann's departure as Germany coach? (in German, please, if I follow your logic)

;)

A combination of Nicky Campbell and Grahan Taylor (mind-boggling I know) have concluded that England are the new Scotland: http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/...1819094,00.html

It is true and we saw it at the World Cup- no replacement right back, no replacement forwards and the third goal keeper was also Liverpool's third choice keeper.

Utter rubbish. There are a dozen quality English players Sven refused to select for one reason or another - such as Hibburt at Everton, numerous strikers, Parker, etc etc. The man is incompetent and has wasted a good portion of what some see as our 'Golden Generation'. In my opinion, however, there is a clear correlation between quality English youngsters coming through the Academy ranks and the influx of foreign players - survival of the fittest. Those that do make it through are invariably very good - in yesteryear those plying their trade in the Championship would be stars in the top flight, clearly that is not the case now.

You're basing this opinion on one sample. I'll retort with Manchester City, Aston Villa and Middlesboro - how many young, promising, English players have come through their ranks recently? Exactly. Our Academy is vastly overrated based on it's production - right now we're desparate for anybody to break into the first team squad and as a result we're focusing our scouting network abroad.

There was an article yesterday pointing out that between 14 and 16, British youngsters are totally mismanaged compared with France, Italy, Portugal and Germany. That could be why Rovers are picking up so many international youngsters.

Trevor Brooking who is nominally in charge of youth development for the FA is reported to be on the point of resigning.

The FA are coming under increasing Government pressure to implement the Burns Report or face the consequences in terms of Government co-operation. The FA blazers are predictably ignoring it whilst Barwick looks utterly discredited not yet one year into his job.

The picture is bleak.

As for Hibbet and Parker :lol:

Part of the skill problem we suffer from can be traced back to the number of 11 a side matches that our youngsters play instead of concentrating on their ball skills . I honestly believe that 11 a sides should be banned until the age of 17 .

Don't be daft Phil. You'll get footy done away with. Have 11 a sides been banned in Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina and Germany? They've all won the WC since we did and at least 3 of em are highly appraised for the levels of skill of their players.

Your second name isn't 'Blatter' is it?

Edited by thenodrog

There was an article yesterday pointing out that between 14 and 16, British youngsters are totally mismanaged compared with France, Italy, Portugal and Germany.

How? Do you have a link? I am interested in this as England did look way behind in the WC. We never have been the most technically gifted country and our schoolboy system was shameful but I thought that the Academy restructuring was going to help alleviate all our problems. Although I have heard horror stories of 1 year contracts being given to kids of 8 and then telling them at 9 that they are not good enough.