BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England's Provisional World Cup Squad

rover6

Provisional England squad:

Goalkeepers: Paul Robinson (Tottenham), David James (Manchester City), Robert Green (Norwich City) Defenders: Gary Neville (Manchester Utd), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester Utd), John Terry (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Sol Campbell (Arsenal), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Wayne Bridge (Chelsea)Midfielders: David Beckham (Real Madrid/ESP), Michael Carrick (Tottenham), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich/GER), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham) Forwards: Michael Owen (Newcastle), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester Utd), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Sorry, wasn't sure whether to put this in the World Cup forum but I'm sure it'll get moved/deleted if it is in the wrong place.

Most controversial point is surely Walcott's inclusion ahead of Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe.

I'm with Sven (believe it or not). He's been bold and Walcott, from what we hear, has that extra special ability to run with the ball that Defoe and Bent don't have. I'm really happy to see Lennon in and Walcott could be the secret weapon.

If you're good enough, you're old enough. However, Jenas and Hargreaves? Is it necessary to take both? I think taking another striker instead of one of those would have been a better idea. But as we know, the pair are particular favourites of Mr Sven.

Edited by rover6

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m half expecting an old pro wrestling move whereby Eriksson rips off his suit at the England/Sweden match revealing a Sweden jersey underneath and then hits Gerrard with a folding chair before moving over to the Swedish sideline.

Walcott? Would be nice to pick someone with international or at least top flight experience.

Darren Bent scored more prem goals than any of the strikers he's taking, and that's playing for one of the worst teams in the prem that I've seen.

Never so obvious as now that Sven only picks players from his fave clubs

Stand-by players: Scott Carson, Luke Young, Nigel Reo-Coker, Jermain Defoe and Andy Johnson

can't understand how AJ is ahead of Darren Bent. Makes no sense.

Edited by rover6

Massive gamble from Sven you can tell that he doesn't need to protect his salary as he is leaving in about 8 weeks !!

Just heard clemence on radio 5 staing that theo is quicker then henry so sodding what this is not the 100m at the olympics.

Why why or why Hargreaves and Jenas would have left one of these out for defoe.

12 year old? Not quite.

People slammed Sven for picking Rooney when he was very young but he came good. Walcott's not even played a Prem game but he's one of England's finest prospects - and who knows might be ready to perform on the world stage.

Why take Defoe when everyone knows that the guy doesn't perform when he comes of the bench? All I can say is that at least Sven is trying something different.

Edited by rover6

THE GUY IS A COMPLETE JOKE!

Why on Earth would you only include 4 forwards if two of these may not even be fit until the latter stages?

Walcott hasnt even played for Arsenal yet....there's a big difference between the reserves and the WORLD CUP FFS!!

Dont even get me started on D.Bent!

I literally hate this guy!!

12 year old? Not quite.

People slammed Sven for picking Rooney when he was very young but he came good. Walcott's not even played a Prem game but he's one of England's finest prospects - and who knows might be ready to perform on the world stage.

Why take Defoe when everyone knows that the guy doesn't perform when he comes of the bench? All I can say is that at least Sven is trying something different.

405949[/snapback]

Rooney had played a whole season at Everton (or was it 2?), this lad's not even kicked a ball in the prem

As someone in the office said, we have 4 strikers, 2 are injured, one has never played top flight football, and the other is Peter Crouch

He's trying something different alright. Something crap

Oh my god! 4 strikers, 2 unfit, One never even played in prem and the other is Crouch!!!!!!!!!

Andy Johnson??? Above Defoe and Bent the leading english scorer in the premiership! What???????/// How???? Hes not even scored that much in the Championship! I dont understand? Whats he thinking?

We'll see won't we but take not of this:

"I could see Theo fulfilling that role. He is an impact player who can come on and change the game" Huw Jennings, Saints Academy director on Walcott.

I say it again. Why take someone experienced like Defoe when they never make an impact from the bench. Better take someone who will - even if young. Who cares how old he is? It's all about his mentality and talent.

I don't know the deadline but this is a PROVISIONAL squad. Sven may add strikers to it if he deems that OWen or Rooney aren't going to make it.

Hysterical benhben. Defoe is not 'behind' Johnson. They're both on stand-by.

Edited by rover6

We'll see won't we but take not of this:

"I could see Theo fulfilling that role. He is an impact player who can come on and change the game" Huw Jennings, Saints Academy director on Walcott.

I say it again. Why take someone experienced like Defoe when they never make an impact from the bench. Better take someone who will - even if young. Who cares how old he is? It's all about his mentality and talent.

I don't know the deadline but this is a PROVISIONAL squad. Sven may add strikers to it if he deems that OWen or Rooney aren't going to make it.

Hysterical benhben. Defoe is not 'behind' Johnson. They're both on stand-by.

405961[/snapback]

Because Rover6, if Owen and Rooney aren't fit, he won't be coming on from the Bench he will be starting. For me Bent is the most suitable guy to play up front on his own as he has pace, power, and leads the line well. I just think Crouch will be sussed out, and is a late sub at best.

Well, I cant see a problem.

If our first choice strikeforce of Owen and Rooney aren't available, why not give this kid a chance. Life's too short to be boring.

Well done Sven, at last you have made a bold move. I cant see McLaren doing anything like this.

thank the good Lord that phil Neville is absent from that squad rolleyes.gif

If Rooney is not making the world cup squad then its Defoe for me, he will score the goals we need despite everyones reservations about him.

Remember the spirit tinykit.gif

Because Rover6, if Owen and Rooney aren't fit, he won't be coming on from the Bench he will be starting.  For me Bent is the most suitable guy to play up front on his own as he has pace, power, and leads the line well.  I just think Crouch will be sussed out, and is a late sub at best.

405964[/snapback]

If both Owen and Rooney arent fit then i think its obviously going to be a 4-5-1 with crouch as the 'one'! Oh my! laugh.gif

i dont know why, but why hasnt anyone mentioned robbie fowler? he's bang in form at the moment, looks really revitalised, and is at the very least experienced in big games. i'd have taken him given the situation england's currently in; well at least sven didnt take defoe, who besides being selfish is really quite useless.

Guest Kamy100

Very bold move by Sven. No problems with going with 4 strikers as if Owen and Rooney are not fit it will 4-5-1 so makes sense to have more midfielders in the squad. Whilst not surprised that Defoe has been dropped to standby am surprised by Bent's non-inclusion. Know lots of people who have seen Walcott play and they all rave about him, but still a major shock to see him included in the squad.

I see, we'll be playing a 4-6-0 formation.

What is the stupid tit on ?. He puts in only 4 strikers, and then has only 2 that are fit enough to play. Does this prick know anything about using a squad for the world cup ?. Why don't we include the bloke who got burnt in the Falklands war (if he isn't Welsh), the black wheelchair basketball player and Boris Johnson ?. At least all of those will be fit(ish) and play better than that useless Canadian tw_t Owen Hargreaves.

On the positive side, there is no Heskey, and a few players like Carrick, Lennon, and Reo-Coker at least in with a chance. And Walcott could be interesting as well. Who knows, he may be a revelation.

I think it's a good squad having thought about it, or at least I think I can understand most of his less obvious choices. I don't think he needs to add a fifth striker anyway on the basis that 3 keepers must go then there's space for 2 players for every position and Joe Cole can cover as a 5th choice striker better than any english striker left out the squad (with the exception of Defoe).

I can't really find fault with his selection of keepers - I hate David James, he's one of the most inconsistent I've ever known of but I can't think of a better english keeper who has had plenty of regular football all season. I think I'd rather take Scott Carson actually.

Theo Walcott above Jermaine Defoe: Well he's a new player, he's a good player for sure but definitely a surprise, Defoe was the obvious choice BUT... Owen had his best time for England when he was very young and noone knew him or knew how to defend against him and likewise did Rooney - Walcott could be a master stroke by Sven!

Hargreaves: Has to be included for his versatility. In a small squad to have a player capable of playing (admittedly not that well at times but never-the-less capable) anywhere across the midfield or in either fullback position is a very useful card to have.

Rooney and Owen: Would not have been selected if their physios and doctors had said they would not recover in time therefore we can assume they are expected to be fit for the world cup - no problem with that then.

Crouch: Has to be included as an alternative dimension to throw on if we're struggling to break down a defense with pace and through balls.

Central Defense: Assuming Campbell is over his personal problems and is fully concentrated on football oncemore he is preferred by me above King, and likewise is Carragher for his versatility across the defense.

ACole and Bridge are no brainers at left back as are Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and JCole in midfield. Stewart Downing is the best naturally left footed english winger we have in my opinion and is a very good 2nd choice to have. I also agree entirely with Carrick who has tremendous passing ability (I almost considered comparing him to Tugay) and could really bring the best out of Owen, Rooney and Walcott! Hargreaves is an obvious 4th choice central midfielder for his versatility in being able to cover other positions.

Lennon or Wright-Phillips: Well I have never thought Wright-Phillips was worth half of the 21mil Chelsea paid for him. He has pace and bags of it as he showed against us recently. He can go from 0-60 faster than Schumacher but I don't feel he has much else. He always looks lucky to me - the ball seems to bobble around his feet with him often having little or no control over it. In my opinion Lennon has much much more to his game and is also fairly fast.

Gary Neville is another no brainer at right back but I'm worried that there is no natural cover for him should he break his leg or more likely his metatarsel (god forbid - touch wood) early in the tournament. Carragher and Hargreaves are both 'capable' of covering but not well. Hargreaves can be inconsistent and Carragher is useless going forward, something which a good fullback does regularly.

The one yet to be mentioned is my only problem with this squad: I don't rate Jenas as a great footballer like some and I see him as surplus to requirements in this well rounded squad. I'd much rather see him replaced by a natural right back as cover for Gary Neville.

I'm sure there's some people who will read this and agree and I know there will be many more who don't but I'm on Sven's side with this one. It's a great squad besides Jenas!

If both Owen and Rooney arent fit then i think its obviously going to be a 4-5-1 with crouch as the 'one'! Oh my! laugh.gif

405972[/snapback]

If Owen is not fit (and he sems to be doing a good Scousers job at covering his ar.. by not playing in the League) and if Rooney is not fit (and he will not be!) they simply put we will be a joke up front. I think it's Sven giving us all 2 fingers. As far as Hargreaves is concerned I can only assume that Sven is HER boyfrend.

Nevermind I'll still be up late to cheer .. p...ed maybe

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.