BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England's Provisional World Cup Squad

rover6

You don't have to do ANYTHING to be picked for the England squad.

Sven has to think he is good enough, and I seem to remember him taking a "gamble" on Rooney (when everybody said he was too young) and look what happened there.

Have faith ffs, he has done something drastic, which apparently he is not capable of (boring boring sven)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abbey, if players were included in England squads based on objective criteria which assesses who 'deserves' to be in the squad, we would not need a manager.

All we'd need is a bunch of stattos to tell us who has scored the most goals and assists and clean sheets.

Squad selection is not as objective as that. Sven will have to consider who he thinks has the right mental attitude to make an impact off the bench and be a positive character off the pitch. He will also have to consider the weaknesses of the opposition we will face and who has the attributes to exploit those foibles.

We can argue about the Walcott selection until we're blue in the face. Or, now we've made our feelings known, we can wait for the World Cup and see who got it right.

And btw, Hargreaves gets a lot of stick but has he actually been played in his natural central midfield role for England?

You don't have to do ANYTHING to be picked for the England squad.

Sven has to think he is good enough, and I seem to remember him taking a "gamble" on Rooney (when everybody said he was too young) and look what happened there.

Have faith ffs, he has done something drastic, which apparently he is not capable of (boring boring sven)

406465[/snapback]

rooney had played 1st team football

Abbey, if players were included in England squads based on objective criteria which assesses who 'deserves' to be in the squad, we would not need a manager.

406469[/snapback]

well surly "objective criteria " should at least include having played 1st team footy....and not playing 3 and in ,in training.....

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE WE HAVE NOTHING UP FRONT!!!!!!

EVEYONE IS INJURED OR COMING OFF INJURIES ...OH AND CROUCH.

DOES EXPERIENCE NOT COUNT FOR ANYTHING....ITS NOT CHAMP MANGER ITS THE REAL DEAL THE BIGGEST TOUMENT IN THE WORLD AND WERE TAKING A BOY WHO IS ONLY JUST OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE,NO EXPERIENCE...ITS NOT HIS FAULT AND I HAVNT SEEN HIM ONLY WHAT IT SHOWED ON NEWS SNIPS BUT WENGER DOESNT THINK HES GOOD ENOUGH YET OR HE HAD HAVE PLAYED HIM WOULDNT HE ?

SACK THE SWEDE TODAY!!!NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!

Edited by ABBEY

Hang on a minute I'm a bit confused.

If Wenger has recommended Walcott for the WC why hasn't he played him in a single game for Arsenal? If Wenger recommended his postman would he have been in the squad?

Hang on a minute I'm a bit confused.

If Wenger has recommended Walcott for the WC why hasn't he played him in a single game for Arsenal? If Wenger recommended his postman would he have been in the squad?

406475[/snapback]

EGG ZACT LIY

Edited by ABBEY

Give the young lad a chance.

Look at Sven's track record over years, every time there is a major tournament he seems to take an untried, but potentially massive, youngster. Maybe he wont play many games, is that the point? the point is to give him the experience of this type of situation and learn from more experienced pros.

If im wrong I hold my hand up, but if this lad is good enough for Arsene and Sven, that'll do for me

Crouch?

Well it's hard to eulogise about him but he has scored a fair few goals for Liverpool and his link-up play has been good.

In terms of target men, we don't have a lot to choose from. He's better than Heskey which is a start. Personally, I'd have liked to see Ashton there but no doubt his lack of pace was one of the reasons for not getting in.

Not having a pop at the lad dan ,just sven ..

in an ideal situation bring him along for the experience and learning curve of it all.....ITS JUST THAT OUR FORWARD LINE IS GARBAGE AND HE SHOULD HAVE BOLSTERED IT WITH EXPERIENCE..so walcott is better than the likes of bent beattie johnson defoe etc....yes in time to come maybe but the world cup is not the time for giving a boy his 1st big game ahead of his club.....what happens if a game comes to pens and he is asked to take one and he misses it could ruin him....

AND WHAT IF HIS MUM SAYS HE CANT PLAY EXTRA TIME BECAUSE ITS PAST HIS BEDTIME?

Crouch?

Well it's hard to eulogise about him but he has scored a fair few goals for Liverpool and his link-up play has been good.

In terms of target men, we don't have a lot to choose from. He's better than Heskey which is a start. Personally, I'd have liked to see Ashton there but no doubt his lack of pace was one of the reasons for not getting in.

406488[/snapback]

CROUCH 12 GOALS...???? AWSOME MAN AWSOME ...HES LIKE TOYSRUS GIRAFFE.

Ashton?so you would take another injured player who could break down?

I think we all know what this is about.

Abbey is jealous of Sven's bed hopping antics wink.gif and isn't really mad about his selection.

I mean if he had picked defoe and bent also, you would be criticising him for being too boring.

Serious question Mr O'Hare.....do you have a thing for Sven or what?

Even though i dont agree with everything that is said about him...you've got to admit the guy is a complete gobshite! Both in football and otherwise!

If im wrong I hold my hand up, but if this lad is good enough for Arsene and Sven, that'll do for me

406486[/snapback]

He's not good enough for Arsenal.....yet! Thats why he doesn't play. I would say Sven is usually very conservative and these selections are totally out of charactor. Well I don't suppose he's that bothered really is he as he's probably got the Real Madrid job lined up.

I think we all know what this is about.

Abbey is jealous of Sven's bed hopping antics wink.gif and isn't really mad about his selection.

406494[/snapback]

i bet in the last 8 months hes not done as many varities as me tongue.gif

and i aint kidding tongue.gif

My thoughts exactly

http://www.football365.com/opinion/story_184945.shtml

406538[/snapback]

I'm with you Flopsy! Excellent little piece that.

And for those who are giving Hargreaves stick I think it is a little unfair. He has won the double, played good football, and is our only defensive option in midfield if Carrick gets injured. Parker and King are injured/ill so there were no other options for cover (nicky Butt? Don't take the...). We would actually have been a bit shagged if Greavesy wasn't available.

Jenas on the other hand does seem a bit pointless, but I guess he is versatile if nothing else. A fifth striker would have been a better choice though.

I do have sort of a thing for Sven.

I used to play Championship Manager quite a lot and when Keegan left, I thought he would be a good appointment and he was then duly appointed.

And he has given me 5 great years of English goodness.

We are a great team, and we werent when he took over.

And this isn't good enough for anybody, which annoys me.

All managers gamble at what ever level they manage at, look as us with Stead we took a gamble on player who was playing and scoring at a lower level.

He came to Rovers and did well mainly because Prem teams didn't know a lot about him but of course the following season he got found out and went down the pan.

Wolcott is an unknown at full International level and being as we haven't seen him play I'm pretty sure the opposition hasn't seen him play as well, I'm not saying he's gonna be the next Rooney but you never know.

All this time Sven has been slagged off for being cautious now he's took a big gamble he's now getting slagged for that.

Be interesting to see what happens in the press if Wolcott scores a couple of goals, then he'll be the World Cup saviour , also interested to know what odds being offered on Wolcott scoring on his debut.

Abbey needs to stop whinging because we all know if Sven had picked the standard squad like everyone expected he'd have still found fault! He'd have pointed out how boring and predictable Sven is and how a manager like that could never win a World Cup. Defoe is not a worldclass striker and England have lost nothing by leaving him out of the squad. Despite having a good shot, his pace is often wasted because he runs at the wrong time and into the wrong places. I'm shocked Darren Bent didn't make the reserve 5 ahead of Johnson or Defoe but again he's not a World Cup winner! Sven has finally admitted that his regular selections are not ever going to win a World Cup even if they do look the strongest Englishmen on paper so he's finally taken some risks that MIGHT actually give us an edge!

And for god's sake will you please stop whinging about Rooney and Owen's injury concerns. They are being treated by some of the best paid doctors and physios in the world using some of the most expensive equipment and therapy in the world therefore I think we can logically assume that they are being treated well by people who know their stuff! If these doctors and physios (and you can't deny that Sven will have asked their opinions!) had said Owen and/or Rooney would not recover in time to be ready for the World Cup then Sven would not have selected them in the squad so ffs stop saying we've only got 1 striker in the squad - we've got 4 and Joe Cole who has played fantastically for Chelsea right behind a lone striker!

All this time Sven has been slagged off for being cautious now he's took a big gamble he's now getting slagged for that.

406571[/snapback]

You will not find me complaining about the inclusion of Aaron Lennon, that is a gamble and I can see that he offers something different on the right to change a game. I'm not slagging Sven off for taking a gamble on his inclusion. But come off it, Walcott is more than a gamble, it is outright stupidity. He MIGHT offer something different, he MIGHT unlock a defence- but the major problem is that he ALMOST CERTAINLY won't! And worse still it is not even calculated stupidity from Sven, it just cannot be explained, it defies all footballing thought to put in Theo Walcott as one of four strikers! It is just sheer incompetance at the worst possible time from a manager who stands slap bang in the way of our chances of winning a world cup.

Walcott is more than a gamble, it is outright stupidity.  He MIGHT offer something different, he MIGHT unlock a defence- but the major problem is that he ALMOST CERTAINLY won't!

406832[/snapback]

Oh but Andy Johnson will will he? Or Jermaine Defoe, who is currently mulling over his worst ever season, is obviously going to turn the best defenders in the world inside out? Of course there's Darren Bent but we already have a very good penalty taker! Well we could bring Heskey back (I actually think he's overly criticised but none-the-less not international standard) or Beattie and there's even Fowler... mmmm it's worth exploring every avenue so maybe, just maybe, that's exactly what Sven has done.

Everybody knows (Sven has always known this but previously chose to play it safe) that Defoe, Bent, Johnson, Beattie, etc. are not world beaters, they just don't have the natural ability to take us more than one round beyond the group stages. The only possible way England have a chance of reaching the final is by taking a different striker, perhaps one unexpected by the rest of the world, a stranger who even the best defenders will approach with caution, unsure whether he'll knock the ball on, bring it to ground and pass or take it past them. Theo Walcott is a gamble and I willingly admit I would not have considered him had it been upto me but I also admit that Sven is finally doing what the English have cursed him for not doing in the past - he's a taken a risk, a very big risk, but a risk that may payoff bigtime!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.