BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poxy Motd Bias

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TV will alway be biased towrds the top clubs..if we were a top club I've no doubt they would kiss our arse too...

I really don't remeber much arse kissing the last time we were. The media's opinion seemed more like "jumped up little club who bought the league". I really don't remember all that much fuss being made, as soon as the title was won we were forgotten about.

as soon as we won the league i will never forget granada running a show that ripped us for BUYING the league ,it even had credits and a opening with pink floyds MONEY complete with ringing tills.NOWTS EVER MENTIONED ABOUT UTD ,LIVERPOO OR ARSEHOLENEL BUYING SILVERWARE...chelsea gets mentioned now and again but as soon as little ole blackburn alls we got was how we bought the league.Man ive some rows up and down the country over itbut always come out on top by asking them who they support and who is their favorate player and they always say someone and i always turn it around to ,oh much was he then and they say £x and i say oh you bought him and when they say yes WHAM HOOK LINE AND STINKER IVE GOT EM....OH YOUR TRYING TO BUY SUCESS THEN .

I must admit to being one of the I DONT WATCH MOTD ANYMORE BRIGADE because of all the one sided BS that goes on and havent done so in 3 or 4 years

As has been said before too many of the general public are fans of the big 4 because that's what they get fed and they don't care enough about football to demand anything else and so they want more big 4 coverage and so on and so on. If you want viewers it's no good saying Rooney is rubbish and deserved to be sent off yesterday. Real Man U fans know that and are questioning him all over the message boards but plastic fans and neutrals believe media hype and don't want to hear criticism of their heroes.

Just about puts into a nutshell what I think about MOTD. It's a programme about football that is not actually made for real football fans. It's made for people who sometimes would like to watch some football on TV on Saturday night but otherwise have no real interest on the game.

Which is why it concentrates on "the big four." The fact that Rovers weren't on last was solely down to the fact that The Red Scum were in town. The footage was edited to be "The Red Scum" are playing away from the Theatre Of Dreams this week in their quest for the title, and so let's follow how they got on. Their opponemts were (cue rustling of paper) oh...yes..Blackburn Rovers. It could have equally been Boro, Wigan, Big Club...

Hanson, Shearer Lineker & the rest of them are a bloody disgrace to the game. Inarticulate, Pringle-wearing morons who repeat the same meaningless rubbish week after week, careful not to upset the status quo in case Rat Faced Whinger bans them from the annual golf competition.

They haven't an original thought, comment or observation between the lot of them.

Rooney was a bit of a pillock on Saturday and probably deserved to get sent off, but do they have the guts to mention it? Shame he wasn't a Johnny Foreigner or they might have.

MOTD is turning into a parody of itself. Rather like The Fast Show's "Smashey & Nicey" did for some self-satisfied and complacent Radio DJs, we really need Alan Partridge to really have a pop at MOTD.

Mind you, I have a feeling that no-one would notice the difference.

Strange, in the dim and distant past when live football was on the equally dire ITV and there was no MOTD I seem to remember people bemoaning its' passing and saying how good it was.

:rolleyes:

I've never liked the BBC's coverage of football be it Jimmy Hill, Motson, or the current mob tbh. They always seemed to be like a lot of silly schoolboys snickering about an "in" joke the rest of us as the viewing public hadn't been let in on.

Currently most of the problems seems to revolve around the fact(s) that Hansen has become a parody of himself and Lawrenson seems to think he's extremely amusing for some reason.

Didn't see Saturday night's show but generally I find Shearer by far the most palatable of the presenters and usually quite complimentary about Rovers.

I also thought Setanta's coverage of the Liverpool game and Alan Smith in particular was the worst I've ever heard.

Thank god Sky have the bulk of the coverage is all I can say.

Not worth getting too worked up about though, the papers/TV have to appeal to the larger sections of their viewing public, so we're never going to get the most favourable press.

Apart from nicko that is. :P

Just about puts into a nutshell what I think about MOTD. It's a programme about football that is not actually made for real football fans. It's made for people who sometimes would like to watch some football on TV on Saturday night but otherwise have no real interest on the game.

Which is why it concentrates on "the big four." The fact that Rovers weren't on last was solely down to the fact that The Red Scum were in town. The footage was edited to be "The Red Scum" are playing away from the Theatre Of Dreams this week in their quest for the title, and so let's follow how they got on. Their opponemts were (cue rustling of paper) oh...yes..Blackburn Rovers. It could have equally been Boro, Wigan, Big Club...

Hanson, Shearer Lineker & the rest of them are a bloody disgrace to the game. Inarticulate, Pringle-wearing morons who repeat the same meaningless rubbish week after week, careful not to upset the status quo in case Rat Faced Whinger bans them from the annual golf competition.

They haven't an original thought, comment or observation between the lot of them.

Rooney was a bit of a pillock on Saturday and probably deserved to get sent off, but do they have the guts to mention it? Shame he wasn't a Johnny Foreigner or they might have.

MOTD is turning into a parody of itself. Rather like The Fast Show's "Smashey & Nicey" did for some self-satisfied and complacent Radio DJs, we really need Alan Partridge to really have a pop at MOTD.

Mind you, I have a feeling that no-one would notice the difference.

That's just about the best post that you have ever made on here Colin. Well done. You really should stick to the messageboard and not be tempted into posting on ICBINF. :rover:

Strange, in the dim and distant past when live football was on the equally dire ITV and there was no MOTD I seem to remember people bemoaning its' passing and saying how good it was.

:rolleyes:

I've never liked the BBC's coverage of football be it Jimmy Hill, Motson, or the current mob tbh. They always seemed to be like a lot of silly schoolboys snickering about an "in" joke the rest of us as the viewing public hadn't been let in on.

Currently most of the problems seems to revolve around the fact(s) that Hansen has become a parody of himself and Lawrenson seems to think he's extremely amusing for some reason.

Didn't see Saturday night's show but generally I find Shearer by far the most palatable of the presenters and usually quite complimentary about Rovers.

I also thought Setanta's coverage of the Liverpool game and Alan Smith in particular was the worst I've ever heard.

Thank god Sky have the bulk of the coverage is all I can say.

Not worth getting too worked up about though, the papers/TV have to appeal to the larger sections of their viewing public, so we're never going to get the most favourable press.

Apart from nicko that is. :P

Lets try and take the blue and white tinted glasses off and we see one team heading for European and domestic glory and a mid table team ( ONLY 4 ATTEMPTS AT GOAL playing at home) seemingly just about coping, who are you going to give the majority coverage to, i know who i'd plum for as an independent.

We all know the team played really well, we are all extremely pleased and proud of how they performed but from a wider perspective Rovers need to acheive more on the field as in results in order to get the plaudits thats only fair lets not get too carried away or begin to feel paranoid.

Edited by JAL

Just looked at Garth Crooks' Team of the Week.

Click Here

Now who would you pick as the keeper of the week? The man who single handedly kept the Premiership Champions at bay or "oops the ball is in my net" Al-Habsi? Yep that's right Al-Habsi. :wacko:

Santa Cruz isn't even in the selected 33!

Lets try and take the blue and white tinted glasses off and we see one team heading for European and domestic glory and a mid table team ( ONLY 4 ATTEMPTS AT GOAL playing at home) seemingly just about coping, who are you going to give the majority coverage to, i know who i'd plum for as an independent.

We all know the team played really well, we are all extremely pleased and proud of how they performed but from a wider perspective Rovers need to acheive more on the field as in results in order to get the plaudits thats only fair lets not get too carried away or begin to feel paranoid.

Don't really disagree with what you've said there, however it does seem completely unrelated to the points I made in my post?

:unsure:

I think a lot of the comments here overstate our importance - how or why would MOTD or the media in general be biased against us? I think generally we get the credit we deserve.

I could agree that teams like WHU and Spurs get a bigger focus, but the national TV and newspapers are based in London and their reporting teams seem to get distracted by what's going on locally to them. As for mainly featuring the "Big 4" on MOTD, like it or not they play the best football consistently and more people want to watch them than us.

On Garth Crooks' team of the week, why does anyone care whether he picks our players? It's pretty clear from his selections, and his every TV appearance, that he's an arrogant and often clueless plonker.

Garth seems a nice enough bloke but he does have a high opinion of his own worth which isn't shared by anyone else unfortunately .

As for MOTD it is still required viewing - an excellent way of passing an hour or so in the pub . Having said that the summary after the game against UTD was dire ; in my opinion the ref got all the big decisions correct and the panel , from what I can remember , were out of line .

<sarcasm>It'll be a shame that the BBC will soon lose the MOTD Premiership games and get the Fizzy Pop league</sarcasm> No more Top 4 love-ins then!

Hmm obviously you dont remember how bad ITV's "Premiership" was. If you think MOTD is biased against us, you wait until a commercial channel in as much dire straits as ITV is get hold of the highlights package.

Edited by Flopsy

Just complained to the BBC about the MoTD coverage ...........

"What horribly skewed comments from Messrs Linekar, Shearer and Lawrenson. So much ‘in depth’ analysis about the penalty decisions during the match with them all ignoring the fact that

1. Rooney was mildly clipped and not hindered by Reid but then unashamedly dived and should have been cautioned! When he was finally cautioned for a viscious hack from behind on Samba he committed a bookable offence on David Bentley! That should have reduced Man Utd to 9 men part way through the 1st half but that would never do would it?

2. The inference that Vogel just about ‘got away’ with what was probably the best tackle of the match to deny Ronaldo a clear shot on goal.

3. That Emerton was guilty of handball. This was the nearest claim to a penalty granted but the ball hit Emerton’s UPPER arm (not his hand) which was by his side! What do those three goons think is needed to avoid such incidents? Amputation perhaps?

Worse was no mention of the more obvious penalty incident and ensuing sending off that was denied at the other end in the opening minutes when Kuszczak took Roberts out when he was clear on goal and 99% certain to score. Furthermore the 'corner' for Manchester's equaliser was a goal kick but I guess that the gushing, slavering weekly worship of the top 4 clubs obviously need to make no concession for fairness and accuracy do they! I must say the bias continually shown toward the Champions league funded ‘Big Four’ clubs is wearisome and aggravating. Why do the BBC hierachy assume that the entire nation are fervent supporters of 4 clubs? Professional football would be healthier if those clubs would clear off to some world super league and allow the Premier league to take over from the Championship as the most competetive and enthralling division in the country. "

BBC reply below ...........

"Dear Thenodrog ;)

Thanks for your e-mail.

I note you were unhappy with the panels analysis of the match between Blackburn Rovers and Manchester United during 'Match of the Day' on 19 April.

I also note you feel bias is shown to the top four clubs.

Football, being football means that the team don't necessarily agree on every issue regarding the game. Part of the joy of football is its subjective nature, illustrated three times a week on 5 Live's 606.

We believe football should be a healthy mix of skilful commentary, first rate sports journalism and opinion; opinion that is challenged and whilst it can be passionate, should be respectful. Anything that puts these elements at risk in the eyes of our audience is taken seriously.

Furthermore, all our programme contributors are appointed on the basis of their experience and talent, and we do not engage any presenter unless we consider that he or she is the most competent and possesses the necessary ability to meet the considerable demands the particular programme or broadcast may make.

Having said that, it is a rare TV personality of any kind who meets the approval of everyone in our vast and varied audience, and from the heavy correspondence which we receive it is clear that listeners' opinions on them do vary considerably.

Please be assured that your comments on this matter have been registered and added to a daily log that is made available to senior editorial staff and programme makers. Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us with the strength of your concerns.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

J D

BBC Complaints

Finally, I have attached an invitation, from the Head of BBC Information, asking you to participate in our customer survey. We would welcome your views on our service.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go.

Edited by thenodrog

Are they having a laugh with that response?

I wonder how many fans they send that one out to who write in about exactley the same issues. At no point do they address any issues in your complaint. Football journalism is apparently based on opinions is what I picked up on. Not the facts then. In the post match chat they didn't even take a 2nd look at our goal or the foul on Bents whcih could have seen Rooney sent off.

I have given up on MOTD I avoid it at all costs. I actually only watched it Sat because I wanted to see how one sided the coverage was. I just settle for the goals on sky sports news on a sunday.

I think a lot of the comments here overstate our importance - how or why would MOTD or the media in general be biased against us? I think generally we get the credit we deserve.

I could agree that teams like WHU and Spurs get a bigger focus, but the national TV and newspapers are based in London and their reporting teams seem to get distracted by what's going on locally to them. As for mainly featuring the "Big 4" on MOTD, like it or not they play the best football consistently and more people want to watch them than us.

On Garth Crooks' team of the week, why does anyone care whether he picks our players? It's pretty clear from his selections, and his every TV appearance, that he's an arrogant and often clueless plonker.

The amount of coverage or our importance isn't the point mate, its the clear one sided views on issues during games involving the top four and particular players. Its not just Rovers I see other teams suffer the same crap week in week out. MOst of my mates support teams like Bolton and Everton they see exactley the same.

The best way is to switch the tripe off.

BBC reply below ...........

"Dear Thenodrog ;)

Thanks for your e-mail.

I note you were unhappy with the panels analysis of the match between Blackburn Rovers and Manchester United during 'Match of the Day' on 19 April.

I also note you feel bias is shown to the top four clubs.

Please read below the carefully worded stock answer, we have to trot out every week to fans of all but the the top four clubs.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards

J D

BBC Complaints

Finally, I have attached an invitation, from the Head of BBC Information, asking you to participate in our customer survey. We would welcome your views on our service.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go.

Can someone confirm with me that i have just watched the highlights of todays game and MOTD2 did not even show our goal in the post match analysis. I can't beleive that they missed it out. Great interplay between Roberts and Cruz and certainly worth a comment as it was the turning point of the game.

What is goign on. Instead we were treated to looking at Pompey's reserve keeper pulling off some greats saves and making a lot of goofs. Oh and the half chances Defoe had.

Its not even the big four that you have to play to be completly over looked. You just have to be Blackburn.

Can someone confirm with me that i have just watched the highlights of todays game and MOTD2 did not even show our goal in the post match analysis. I can't beleive that they missed it out. Great interplay between Roberts and Cruz and certainly worth a comment as it was the turning point of the game.

What is goign on. Instead we were treated to looking at Pompey's reserve keeper pulling off some greats saves and making a lot of goofs. Oh and the half chances Defoe had.

Its not even the big four that you have to play to be completly over looked. You just have to be Blackburn.

You were indeed correct. It was more about how Portsmouth had their mind on the FA cup.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.