SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Official U.s. National Team Thread

Philly Rover ®

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you could be right philip. It just pisses me off that Mexico can come out flat but still win because they were gifted with a seeding and an easy group--but when the U.S. comes out flat, they get buried.

No, the Czechs aren't that good, but they're certainly for real. They weren't afraid to cede the lion's share of the first half possession to the U.S., knowing that their defense would hold and they could strike on the counter. Rosicky and Nedved together on song is an awesome proposition, and if Koller and Baros can recover from injury, they have quite the potent offense.

Eddie Johnson was the only one who even tried to muster any offense; he should get a start next game, and I still think he'd be a good investment for Rovers. But I digress... the point is that the U.S. came out flat, unprepared, and it cost them.

I agree, the USA's success is based on Energy, tenacity and good team play.

They showed NONE of those attributes today.

If they play like this in their next 2 matches, I agree we'll go home pointless. And that sickens me.

And I'd just like to say, DMB should not be on the pitch v. Italy. He's out of form, he looks lost, he doesn't link up with anyone. Having him out there means completely abandoning any attack on that side.

The Czech's were good, the USA were bad. Lacklustre with no imagination would sum it up for the Yanks. I think Arena has to take some blame, his plan did not work.

The Czech's are up there with the Argies as the best team I've seen so far. Arsenal have themselves a player in Rosicky, he was very good. IF Spurs get Reid I doubt that Arsene will be worried.

For Italy,i would go back to a 4-4-2 with Mcbride and Eddie up top,drop Convey altogether,play Dempsey on the right,move DMB to the left(his stated position)play Donovan as the attacking central MF and leave Reyna as the Defensive central MF.Unfortunately,I believe the options at the back are limited unless you are talking about blooding Conrad against Italy with us needing a result(shudder).Perhaps Bocanegra for Cherundulo.Clearly some changes have to be made by Bruce.This was a WC match and there appeared to be no intensity,no emotion even when we were chasing at 0-1 and 0-2 there was no desparation shown just kind of ho hum lwts knock around the park today boys.Our wide men never went at someone and most are their passes were backwards or square at best.How differnt it might have been if we had pegged back at 1-1 with Reyna's attempt.The display today

was lacking and must be improved if we are to get any points off Italy.Very frustrating to watch.

Very controlled performance from the Czechs, but the USA were very unimpressive. The Czechs just sat back and with the exception of the Reyna shot and a couple of half chances at the end they created nothing. For me this was a combination of the USA not showing up and the Czechs showing that they are what they usually are, well organized with enough talent to be a threat.

US players I thought played well: Cherundolo, Pope, Reyna, Johnson

US players that seemed anonymous: Keller, Donovan, Beasley, McBride, Mastroeni, O'Brien

US players that hurt the team: Lewis, Onyewu, Convey

I'd give Onyewu another shot against the Italians - I think he can do a very good job shutting down Luca Toni. I'd put Bocanegra or Berhalter on the left - Eddie Lewis is not a left back. I'd also put in Clint Dempsey on the right and put Lewis or O'Brien in left mid, and I'd go with McBride and Johnson up front.

I wish Friedel still played for the US. I don't like Keller.

I think that Arena got it wrong today. Donovan doesn't work well as a forward unless there's someone on the pitch who can spring him through. He needs to be the springer, with Eddie Johnson being the springee. Lewis and Convey on one side was bound to be defensively frail. DMB sucks more on the right than he does on the left. He defends well, but does not add to the attack at all.

Players that didn't work: Convey, Beasley

Players that failed to impress: Lewis, Mastroeni, Cherundolo, Onyewu, O'Brien, Pope, Keller

Players that failed to impress but not their fault: Donovan, McBride, Wolff

Players I thought did well: Johnson, Reyna (maybe)

The changes I would make: We need Donovan in midfield and Johnson up top. This means dropping either Mastro or Reyna. I would like to see Beasley or Convey dropped for Dempsey. I would then give either Beasley or Convey one more chance on the left, but replace Lewis with Bocanegra. Unfortunately, I think Bruce Arena has too many favorites, and won't change things up too much.

I heard Wynalda on the radio this morning, he is still seething. He had a right go after the game and did so again this morning. He said that how can the USA play that badly when they have a great chance to show the nation that they are decent. It makes a change that commentators are saying what they think. It's normally glory glory glory with Americans. This is refreshing as journo's don't have a clue.

Arena needs to make changes. He needs to give them a kick up the ar$e. Play Eddie Johnson (who we should sign), drop Beasley or Convey or Donovan (it wouldn't matter who after their performances) and Mastroeni. Tactics: get the ball wide and in the box, Mcbride will eventually get something.

Donovan may now be rueing his decision to stay in the MLS, he got found out yesterday.

It does look bleak though as the Italians were very impressive.

I wish Friedel still played for the US. I don't like Keller.

I have heard twice now that Keller is the best and also one of the best keepers in the World, where do they come up with that crapola.

Tactics: get the ball wide and in the box, Mcbride will eventually get something.

I thought that is what the US should have tried to do yesterday, go wide, try to get round the back and whip in low hard crosses.

Bit difficult to get in crosses when you're only playing with one side of the pitch. Beasley's absolute refusal to use his speed and take on a defender was disgraceful. Yes I know he was played out of position, but make an effort. It's the world cup FFS.

Not that Convey's aimless floaters from the left were much better.

Squad was badly prepared and embarrassed. Time, I think, for the US to get a real international manager, this one seems to think that qualifying from CONCACAF is a real achievement.

:angry::angry::angry:

Eddie Johnson did look more than useful.

Oneywo also looked impressive too, especially in the air. Does he always play with that expression of boredom/mild irritation on his face?!

We used to hear a lot about Damarcus Beasley but even his move to Holland doesn't seem to have improved him much - or was that game a bad reflection of his talents? His positional play was awful.

DMB always fails to impress, he was a promising talent when he went to PSV, but he seems to have LOST something instead of progressing.

The boredom is typical gooch, unless he gets his huge frame onto a set piece service in the opponent's box. Then he shows emotion.

imho... this should be the setup for the italy game (apparently I don't hate Convey's effort as much as others). I also think we looked okay at the back with only 3 and Pablo as a Def. MF, and if we can control the middle with Gattuso still out injured, I think we can be solid enough, and I think this "attack" has promise.

Keller

'Dolo - Pope - Gooch

Pablo

Reyna - JOB - Donovan - Convey

McBride - EJ

I heard Wynalda on the radio this morning, he is still seething. He had a right go after the game and did so again this morning. He said that how can the USA play that badly when they have a great chance to show the nation that they are decent. It makes a change that commentators are saying what they think. It's normally glory glory glory with Americans. This is refreshing as journo's don't have a clue.

Pot, kettle, France 1998, fighting his teammates instead of the opposition...

I just wonder, wouldn't it be an idea to play Eddie Lewis further forward. He has a bit of skill and can put in good crosses. However, I'm not sure who you've got to play left back in his stead.

I've got a silly question for US Rovers out there (which is a little O/T).

Has the US women's team ever been better than the mens team. Stupid, I know, but I just want to make sure from people in the know to resolve a minor dispute I am having with a feminist (who knows nothing about football but has got this idea into her head from somewhere).

Edited by rover6

As in head to head, or results within the specific gender? The US Women won the world cup, but I'm positive the men would crush them if they played each other.

And as for commentary, I think that Julie Foudy does a surprisingly good job.

Edited by Drakefyre

American, I think France '98 was a different case than the current one. In 1998, team captain Harkes got booted 3 weeks before the tournament (alleged carnal indiscretions have been mentioned) David Regis played every game despite getting a US passport 2 weeks before the tournament. Then the manager played the most bizarre system ever seen in a World Cup; 3-6-1. How I laughed when I saw that line up. Separately, Harkes, Wynalda, Balboa, and Lalas have all commented indirectly about Steve Sampson and his mis mangement of that team. Lalas has also got more revenge by firing Sampson from LA. Wynalda may have sour grapes but it doesn't detract from the fact that he's right.

The 2006 team played awful on Monday, unless they get something out of the Italy game, which I doubt they will, they are home with the public switching off as usual. I believe that Arena's days are numbered if the USA come back with 0 points.

DanLad, I mentioned Johnson ages ago on here, the lad is fast and can score. His touch needs improving but a good coach like Sparky will do that.

Rover6, do you really need someone with insider knowledge to answer that one? Of course not. The only male-female debate ever in the USA came in the 1970's when some crackpot actor/pseudo star said that women shouldn't play sport and challenged manimal tennis legend Billie Jean King to a game. She beat him.

Hard to imagine the US getting a result after the showing the other day. They have to have a complete attitude change to grab a point. Knocking it about and waiting for an opening in the Italian defense is probably not going to do it...

This tournament goes to show the importance of the draw. There is no way to play yourself into form by opening with the Czechs and Italians. Who's had a rougher draw? Perhaps T&T opening Sweden, then England. Maybe Ghana doing it the other way, Italy, then Czech.

I'll tell you who had an easier draw, jkritchey: Mexico. Opening with Iran, then Angola... in other words, having 6 points in the bag before you face the Portuguese in a somewhat meaningless game. Not that I'm bitter or anything about them getting seeded and us not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.