SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Official Australian Squad Thread

Sydney Rovers

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am not the most patriotic sort I still find it a bit embarassing that the Aussies will STILL have a bigger stadium than us after Wembley is built... I mean we are twice the size in terms of population, much bigger economy, blah blah blah

I would love to check the MCG out one day though. For footie are the fans very far away from the pitch, it being an oval and all?

It would have to be one of the worst stadia to watch football in, though when everyone is singing the National Anthem, it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

It was originally built for the 1956 Olympic games so that tells you the size of the place. Football is played in a rectangle in the middle of the surface and has metre high advertising around the pitch. The slope of the seats in the lower sections is too shallow, consequently you can't see the ball if it's closer than about 5 metres to the touchline. If you're up in the gods, you need bino's to see which player is which.

It 's OK for the cricket and Aussie Rules though.

It would have to be one of the worst stadia to watch football in, though when everyone is singing the National Anthem, it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

It was originally built for the 1956 Olympic games so that tells you the size of the place. Football is played in a rectangle in the middle of the surface and has metre high advertising around the pitch. The slope of the seats in the lower sections is too shallow, consequently you can't see the ball if it's closer than about 5 metres to the touchline. If you're up in the gods, you need bino's to see which player is which.

It 's OK for the cricket and Aussie Rules though.

You heading down for the game Dave? I've got a 6am flight back on Friday morning as I've burnt all my annual leave on the World Cup! :rover:

:brfc:

You heading down for the game Dave? I've got a 6am flight back on Friday morning as I've burnt all my annual leave on the World Cup! :rover:

:brfc:

I wish I was going down there but I'm already eating into next year's annual leave with my trip to Germany :huh:

Half time v Greece

Aussie 1 Greece 0

Not the best of games so far. Some interesting moves from set pieces by the aussies, one of which led to the goal by Skoko. Lucas involved in the set up of the goal.

Emerton has been involved, but not doing much, seems to be playing deeper than he does for the Rovers.

Grella and Bresciano have played well, Viduka has caused the Greek defence problems with his ability to hold the ball. Kalac, despite him wearing the No 1, is not an international goalkeeper.

On the firts half display, though, Australia will not worry too many teams in Germany, they will have to improve dramatically.

Finished up 1-0 to the Aussies.

Very ordinary game, got a bit better towards the end as players tired.

Lucas played well in the 2nd half, ened up at left back. One Greek forward was on the wrong end of a Lucas block, plenty of claret flowing from a split lip.

The Aussie version of Dickov; Archie Thomson.

MOM Skoko

Dave we just defeated the European champions, there is still some work to do but we broke down the defence with some beautiful interchange passing and played the ball out fo defence with confidence.

First 20 minutes of the second half we lapsed but were put under some major pressure by Greece defending very high up the field.

Grella, Bresciano, Culina, Skoko and Viduka were class tonight.

Neill was fantastic and Emerton was better once he came inside. We weren't troubled in defence at all in the box and as far as I recall Greece had all their shots on goal from outside the box.

1-0 was going easy on Greece, the way we dominated it could have easily been 3 or 4, and definately should have been two if the ref saw Viduka's shirt being pulled.

Excellent signs ahead, we are going to be very competitive in Germany.

See how we go with Kewell, Cahill and Schwarzer back in the team before you write us off.

Neekoy, If they are the European Champions, it says a lot about those that came behind them. On that basis, Australia will breeze it into the WC semis

I'm being kind when I say the Greeks played poorly; they were crap, no imagination, no shape, no willingness to go for it. They came for a holiday.

Agree about the first three in you list, not class, but better than the rest, but Viduka looked like a lumbering fool. Yes he holds the ball up well, but couldn't be bothered (or hadn't the pace) to to go for a great ball that most forwards would have attempted to get to, just before he was subbed.

Wilkshire looks promising

Having said that, it was the Aussies first outing in ages, they'd been together for four days and had (apparently) four very inense training sessions that took a lot out of them.

They can get better. If they are to make any impact in Germany, they will have to get better.

Is it just me or did Emerton actually play really well, well second half at least. As an Englishman it pains me to say that you Aussies looked good. You seem to have a fair few players who love to get on the ball and spring passes around and a fairly decent defence although saying that i never really saw them tested by a very poor Greece side.

I only watched the game to wach Lucas & Brett play but after todays game i think i'll look out for the Aus game sin the WC for sure, just because i loved the attacking football they play. World Cup wise i think Australia may come 3rd in the group as you haven't got a chance against the Brazillians, and the Japanese aren't no push-overs, it could be a very even match but a draw is probably the best you can hope for and you should beat the Croatians as they are not as good as they used to be. I feel you'll only miss out on second place to Japan on goal difference but i hope i am proved wrong and they make the Second Round.

Oooh please get rid of that goalkeeper who played everytime he got near the ball he flapped at it, he made David James look like safe hands.

95,103 attendance

The Aussie version of Dickov; Archie Thomson.

I was thinking that as well during the game. Has a bit more skill though. PSV isnt taking up the loan option, any thoughts as a dickov replacement? 17 caps 21 goals isnt a bad record :P then again wasnt it 11 in one game?

Edited by Perth_Rover

Is it just me or did Emerton actually play really well, well second half at least. As an Englishman it pains me to say that you Aussies looked good. You seem to have a fair few players who love to get on the ball and spring passes around and a fairly decent defence although saying that i never really saw them tested by a very poor Greece side.

Oooh please get rid of that goalkeeper who played everytime he got near the ball he flapped at it, he made David James look like safe hands.

IHD, The Aussie were all over the park, they are a very fit side, they'll run all day.

Bert did ok, but nothing special, though he made one monumental blunder in not having a shot, he passed to a player in an offside position. The Greeks never looked like getting through the defence.

Got to agree about the Keeper, Kalac, frightening, if you're a defender

i didn't watch the game but the reports i have read said the socceroos fully deserved their victory.

the bottom line is it's only a warm up game, greece wern't the best opposition but a challenge and a similar side to croatia imo.

there seemed to be alot of good chances missed by both sides which could cost australia in the world cup though i personally think they will make the second roundand the support they get is awsome.

and you should beat the Croatians as they are not as good as they used to be.

Probably true that they're not as good as they were in '98 when they reached the semis, but they are by no means a poor team. In the qualifying for this WC they beat Sweden twice, and while we're not the best team in the world or anyhing, only Croatia (Twice) and Latvia (In a meaningless game) have beaten us over 90 minutes in a competitive game in almost 6 years (The other losses are Senegal in extra time in '02, and Holland on penalties in '04). This might not prove anything other than that their playstyle works against us, or that we simply had two bad days, but I'd like to believe it means something. Australia may very well beat them, but it should be no means be considered an easy win.

That group could get very interesting with Croatia, Japan and Australia battling it out for that second spot (I don't think Brazil will have any trouble. But then one only needs to look at France or Argentina in '02..)

i cant remeber much but i had an awesome view of skoko's goal, was right behind it on the bottom level. crowd was very good, 95k is awesome, the scenes on the way back to the train station were excellent.

I think australia never realy left 3rd gear. Craig Moore was class at the back and lucas held his own. Other worthy contributors were skoko, grella and chipperfield (marked stelios out of the game)

greece were very poor

Dave, I won't disagree with Greece being poor but if anyone watched the European championship you would see that is how they played the entire tournament.

Slowed the play down, miserly defence, boring as ###### to watch but relying on a counter attack to score a goal and win 1-0.

Australia countered that with excellent posession and passing to get in behind the greek defence and then flooded back to handle the greek counter.

Hiddick has the way to beat Brazil, just keep the ball away from them. IF Australia can play attacking football, hold posession and dominate the midfield then I say we have a chance at getting through the group stages.

We will get better mate, for sure.

Just seen "our" Sydney Rovers on SBS!!!!!

Son, you look better in real life.

Onya Vic :lol::lol:

:blink::lol:

I'm available for autographs and will be releasing a DVD called; "Sydney Rovers: His 15 minutes of fame". ;)

Edited by Sydney Rovers

Good news, the squad is full! Kewell has announced that he will be fit for the WC. IMO, he will get a start against Liechtenstein and then maybe a sub appeearance with Japan. Confidence-wise this is a big boost for the team.

Click me....

and Click me...

So on the injury front, Timmy Cahill, John Aloisi and Harry (+ Josh Kennedy) will all be available for game 1.

Edited by AussieinUk

This BBC article has some surreal bits :blink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/w...006/4973552.stm

When you talk about Cafu and Roberto Carlos you have to remember their ages - Cafu is 36 now and doesn't play all the time for AC Milan, while Carlos is only three years younger.

They are both still great at going forward, we know that, but we think we have wide players who can hurt them in their half of the field.

We've got Scott Chipperfield and Brett Emerton on the wings and they have the pace and individual quality to make a real difference.

If Ronaldinho is drifting out to the left he'll come up against Emerton, and he has certainly got the pace and physical ability to keep up with the Brazilian.

So we have a winger who can hurt Roberto Carlos down the wings and mark Ronaldinho all in one match. :lol:

Compare that to his club form, I cant think a better player to term "erratic" than Emerton

Interesting article on Ronaldinho speaking about Gus Hiddink.

Click Me..

this made me laugh :lol:

"Ronaldinho believes the Dutchman is in the process of converting Australia into the neutral supporter's "other" favourite team.

Brazil have long enjoyed the position of being loved by everyone in the world apart from Argentina, but Ronaldinho thinks that the remarkable Australian qualifying story has begun to push Hiddink's team into the hearts and minds of neutrals everywhere."

"Then if you take the drama and the romanticism of the win over Uruguay it seems to me that Australia has become an easy team for the neutrals to support. Everyone I speak to seems to have a good word for Australia in a sporting sense and lots of decent judges have identified them as a team which could make a surprising impact in Germany" - SMH

Pity hiddink is leaving after the WC.. :(

Edited by AussieinUk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.