SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Official Australian Squad Thread

Sydney Rovers

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Aussies ground out a great win, but realistically there's a lot to do.

A team with any organisation about them would have murdered us today.

In truth, the Japanese were very one dimentional, their "finesse" was non existant, their last pass bad.

What got the Aussies over the line was determination, nothing less. It will take a bit more than that to advance much further.

Hopefully against Brazil they will be able to nullify some of the true stars of world football, it is just a hope; but I can't see any points coming our way. It will need a result in their last game.

I'm trying not to be too pessimistic, I think that we should be able to get to the 2nd round, but some players are going to have to play out of their skins.

Prediction: Bert will not start in the next game.

Well, the Aussies ground out a great win, but realistically there's a lot to do.

Hopefully against Brazil they will be able to nullify some of the true stars of world football, it is just a hope; but I can't see any points coming our way. It will need a result in their last game.

Dave, totally agree - theres alot to be done. I think the starting formation will need to be 'tinkered' with. Start with Cahill (for wilkshire) and put Kalac in goal (as he works with Dida).

Also, I think we can safely say Ronaldo (on tonights pedestrian-like performance) wont be starting next game.

I was in Singapore on the 25th of May and saw the whole of the Australia squad leaving to go to Germany everyone was in there team track suites apart from Viduka who was in some shorts and knee lenght socks for some reason looked a bit strange.

Emerton was a sleep but nothing unusal there he's always a sleep when plays for blackburn

aussie players are under fifa investigation due a "betting scandal"

couple of the blokes had bets between eachother as to who would score the first goal of the tournament.

apparently fifa is treating this very seriously.

------------------------------------------

i can imagine it would be different if it were bets to an agency of officail bookkeeper, but bet between each other? seems a bit stiff!

aussie players are under fifa investigation due a "betting scandal"

couple of the blokes had bets between eachother as to who would score the first goal of the tournament.

apparently fifa is treating this very seriously.

------------------------------------------

i can imagine it would be different if it were bets to an agency of officail bookkeeper, but bet between each other? seems a bit stiff!

Not anymore.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/..._Australia.html

Going to be a long night. Might hit the sack now, and get some sleep before the game

I had the same idea.

Have to say that Australia is making a good account of itself. Granted, Brazil did cock up two chances, the first by Ronaldinho tripping over his own feet, and the second by Ronaldo missing the ball when shooting. But they are defending well and Emerton has contributed a lot both defensively and in attack. Viduka's holding the ball up well. The referee is very technical with his foul calls at times. Australia has barely had a set piece that hasn't ended in a foul for shirt pulling or a bit of pushing.

Dave, totally agree - theres alot to be done. I think the starting formation will need to be 'tinkered' with. Start with Cahill (for wilkshire) and put Kalac in goal (as he works with Dida).

Also, I think we can safely say Ronaldo (on tonights pedestrian-like performance) wont be starting next game.

Why? I think his superstar status is serving him well and he won't be dropped for this tournament, unless he has a very disastrous performance. He probably deserves to be dropped, but he won't because he's living on past glory. Not that he is a terrible player. He has been very smart and skillful this first half, even if lacking in movement at times.

Don't you hate "heroic" losses.

That was a game that could have had another result quite easily.

Still it's a loss and can't be turned around.

I could say that the Brazilians have had a close shave, but I won't :rolleyes:

The next game against the Croats will be an interesting one given that there are (is it ) four Australian born players in their team.

Expect some fireworks.

Apparently Kewell's been cleared of insulting the referee and is available to play against Croatia. Apparently it's because of inconsistent reporting of the incident by the referee. TFFT B)

Apparently Kewell's been cleared of insulting the referee and is available to play against Croatia. Apparently it's because of inconsistent reporting of the incident by the referee. TFFT B)

Inconsistent reporting? Fits in with his inconsistent refereeing.

Who is the fourth Aussie in the Croatian team?

Seric, Didulica and Simunic.

There are three. I was unsure, that's why I put the "Is it" in brackets.

Whatever, I predict this game to be a cracker. Might not be the most technical of games, but should be a proper football match.

There are three. I was unsure, that's why I put the "Is it" in brackets.

Whatever, I predict this game to be a cracker. Might not be the most technical of games, but should be a proper football match.

Bresciano has a Croatian mother?

There are apparently 4 Aussies with Croatian heritage (according to the latest edition of World Soccer magazine):

Tony Popovic

Jason Culina

Josip Skoko

Mark Viduka

and 3 Croatians with Aussie heritage:

Joey Didulica

Josip Simunic

Anthony Seric

Edited by Scotty

There are apparently 4 Aussies with Croatian heritage (according to the latest edition of World Soccer magazine):

Tony Popovic

Jason Culina

Josip Skoko

Mark Viduka

and 3 Croatians with Aussie heritage:

Joey Didulica

Josip Simunic

Anthony Seric

There is actually 7, Kalac, Bresciano and Covic as well.

It's dissapointing, those three would have looked very good in our squad.

Pick everyone for Australia as early as possible

If we did we could have added Vieri to that list

Edited by neekoy

There is actually 7, Kalac, Bresciano and Covic as well.

It's dissapointing, those three would have looked very good in our squad.

Pick everyone for Australia as early as possible

If we did we could have added Vieri to that list

But who could forget his little brother max vieri :P how many socceroo's caps did he get 6?

i really looking forward to this one, i agree it will be a proper game of football.

i think the aussies will go for the throat early though hiddink does keep his tactics close to his chest and if croatia come out all guns blazing then were in for a high scoring game.

3-2 to aussies, emerton with the winner :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.