BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Official Australian Squad Thread

Sydney Rovers

Hee hee. What a referee. I wonder if there would have been a re-match if Croatia won after that D'Urso piece of refereeing.

And what about Emerton? His performance just makes me think it would be stupid to get rid of him on the cheap. Someone just needs to pull his head him; tell him to swallow his pride and admit that he isn't a right rightmielder, but rather a versatile player who can play right wing back. He would look good at right back, one because of his work rate (which would help defensively), and two because he has space for attacking, which he doesn't get playing further up the ground, where he obviously looks cramped. He could be the one to contest Lucas Neill's spot. I wouldn't mind seeing him tried in the centre of midfield either, either defensively or attacking - for a tryout, that is.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hee hee. What a referee. I wonder if there would have been a re-match if Croatia won after that D'Urso piece of refereeing.

And what about Emerton? His performance just makes me think it would be stupid to get rid of him on the cheap. Someone just needs to pull his head him; tell him to swallow his pride and admit that he isn't a right rightmielder, but rather a versatile player who can play right wing back. He would look good at right back, one because of his work rate (which would help defensively), and two because he has space for attacking, which he doesn't get playing further up the ground, where he obviously looks cramped. He could be the one to contest Lucas Neill's spot. I wouldn't mind seeing him tried in the centre of midfield either, either defensively or attacking - for a tryout, that is.

If Lucas does leave...and on tonights display there should be some clubs in for him...then i think we have his replacement , at least in the short term in Emerton! Great performance tonight by both our guys! :rover:

Well done to the Aussies !!! :)

Great game to watch (as a neutral) probably hell for the Aussies and Croats though.

The last 20 mins reminded me of watching Rovers defense under Souey :o

Game of the tournament so far i'd say.

Aussies probably deserve to go through.

Well Done!

What's with the keeper Kalac. I know Schwarzer can be dodgy at times but Kalac is in a world of his own in terms of dodgyness (he has a very nice Croatian name too) :unsure:

And Graham Poll well what can i say, a typical performance :rolleyes:

Books a player three times before sending him off.

Also feel sorry for Bert, bit of a harsh sending off. Thought he was having a decent game as well at right-back.

I thought Poll was going OK until the last 20, then he seemed to lose it completely.

Don't get me going about Kalac. The guy is nowhere near an international keeper.

Bert had to go for his 2nd booking, bit unlucky though, it looked like a reaction thing.

Lucas is having a great tournament.

I am very happy we've gone through... but admit totally that we've been very lucky with the refereeing. I questioned having an English referee refereeing that match... and we did seem to get the better of the 50/50's.

I am very happy we've gone through... but admit totally that we've been very lucky with the refereeing. I questioned having an English referee refereeing that match... and we did seem to get the better of the 50/50's.

Yeah, I didn't think Craig Foster's analysis after the game was fair. He said Poll was a total disgrace, which really wasn't the case, although he was fairly poor.

And for those who watched the SBS broadcast:

What was Les Murray doing letting a drunk Foster on TV? :o He was all over the place. :D

Edited by James No. 7

I thought Poll was going OK until the last 20, then he seemed to lose it completely.

Don't get me going about Kalac. The guy is nowhere near an international keeper.

Bert had to go for his 2nd booking, bit unlucky though, it looked like a reaction thing.

Lucas is having a great tournament.

What about the two penalties that Poll missed for the Aussies. First one where the Croat defender did a rugby tackle on Viduca in the area and got nothing for it. Second one where a Croat defender clearly handled to clear a cross into the box. Both of them absolute certs; not even a shadow of doubt.

Edited by Fife Rover

Fife, If, as a player, I made three or four mistakes in a game I'd be happy.

Seeing it on TV it looks oh so easy, but he could have been unsighted, we just don't know.

I think that Poll got a bit rattled late on when that Croatian laid his hands on him. Did you see his reaction to that?

Kalac must go. A disaster. Should never have been on the park.

Fife, If, as a player, I made three or four mistakes in a game I'd be happy.

Seeing it on TV it looks oh so easy, but he could have been unsighted, we just don't know.

I think that Poll got a bit rattled late on when that Croatian laid his hands on him. Did you see his reaction to that?

Kalac must go. A disaster. Should never have been on the park.

Emerton played pretty well from what i could judge witching between the 2 games. Involved in both goals, and worked his socks off at the back. Red was irrelevant as he was already suspended for the last 16 anyway isnt he?

:blink: 2 blatant penalties and three yellow cards to one player who still remains on the pitch

Who cares about the 50/50 when we lose out on the 100 freakin zero's.

It could have been 4-1

Not to mention the Japan goal :blink:

Lucas was an absolute superstar. Looks good for Rovers to get a good return on him. Emo looks to be the player that we knew he could be, the last two games in defence he has been superb.

Interesting comments in The Guardian's match report:

The athleticism of Australia made their persistence feasible. Croatia were breathless in the face of it and Hiddink's decision to put the squad through a fierce fitness programme looked as if it was being vindicated, even if club managers might wonder just how depleted these men will be when the time comes, soon enough, to start a new domestic season.

International priorities had consumed these players and footballers such as Blackburn Rovers' Emerton were at a peak of performance. The target was to sustain such commitment throughout 90 minutes against a Croatia team desperate to respond. Australia's domination did slacken for an interlude, but they fell behind again because of a grotesque mistake.

Niko Kovac moved forward after 57th minutes to shoot weakly. The ball ran straight to Kalac but the goalkeeper, who is on Milan's books, went down and somehow bundled the ball over his own body. Hiddink's reaction was to introduce Aloisi, ensuring that Viduka had an outright striker to partner him.

Understandably, the Croatian substitution was of a conservative cast, with the orthodox midfielder taking over from the more individualistic Kranjcar. There had been a contrast of that sort between these countries virtually from the start, but Croatia, to the benefit of this World Cup, suffered for it in the end.

I'm saying the foul on Viduka WAS a penalty Dave. How did the ref and lino miss it.

Sorry den, I thought you were referring to the penalty that was given.

The Viduka incident was more of a rugby tackle, and yes it would have been harder for the ref to miss it.

Now we come down to the business end of the tournament. There are no second chances from herein.

I can't see Australia progressing much further, I think the Italians will have too much class.

What the Aussies miss is someone who can turn it on. We have a team that can run all day, but lack that player who can do something to change the course of a game by some insperational play.

Poll is awful.

He reminds me of a certain journalist.

Classic SAR! :lol::D Spot on!

Poll is a complete numpty! IMO, he was horrible the whole game. Totally inconsistent in his decisions and again, he thought 50K+ people in attendance were there to see him!

Let's look at what he did, or didn't do as the case may be...

1. Viduka is 'tackled' in the box, the linesman misses the obvious penalty (as too does Poll) - How?

2. Tomazs(sp?) handballed again in the box and no penalty is given. How could this be miseed? This was the same Croatian player and same action, that awarded the Australians the first penalty scored by Moore. Tomasz wasn't even given a yellow card on either occasion, yet Brett Emerton received his second yellow and his marching orders for his handball (clearly ball to arm IMO). Why?

3. Didn't book the player Srna when he tugged Poll's shirt, clearly a bookable offence.

4. Gave three yellow's to one player and when questioned by Australian players, said clearly "He has one yellow card". (probably will be the only ref in WC history to do this - Absolute diabolical idiot!)

5. Gave the offside goal to Kewell (Okay -more the linesman's fault and very close)

6. After the Brescaino free-kick, disallowed the Cahill goal (on the final whistle), but gave a yellow card to Simunic (His third) after the whistle had blown. - Why?

In my book that is shocking! I hope the moron/numpty (doesn't really describe him) never goes near an international again let alone ref it! The whole game he looked out of his depth. I hope Sepp Blatter uses him as a 'good example' of bad refing.

On the game itself, Australia played well, but the defensive lapses are the big problem. At critical times Australia lost their shape far too easily.

For the game against Italy, Guus has got to stop playing with the team! Brescaino has to start - no doubt.

Anyway, C'MON AUSTRALIA! :brfc::rover:

Edited by AussieinUk

Well done to Australia! Before the World Cup everyone saw it as Brazil and Croatia to qualify, but Australia under Hiddink have put this idea to bed. I must say that I'm disappointed for Croatia, as I've always liked them as a team, their players and the way they play. The referee had a shocker last night. I've always disliked Graham Poll, because of the way he carries on, as he always looks to be the centre of attention, arrogant bo**ocks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.