Czech Republic v Ukraine - Czech Republic

Semi Finals

Germany v Italy - Italy

Portugal v Czech Republic - Czech Republic

3rd Place Playoff

Portugal v Germany - Portugal

FINAL

Italy v Czech Republic - Czech Republic

For me it is between England, Brazil, Argentina and France. That isn't to say that there won't be plenty of surprise results (probably fewer than last time), but those seem to be the four strongest squads that also include that extra bit of quality for those tight games. I know that abroad the threat of England is being taken seriously, I think we are the one footballing nation going into this that seriously doubts its own potential and instead spends more time praising the likes of Brazil and Argentina. I will be surprised if Brazil win the world cup, there defence is simply not good enough and if teams can put them under pressure I can see them shipping in goals. For me the fact that they are being called the best team ever and that they are being likened with teams like the Brazil of '70 make them one of the most overrated sides ever going into a world cup.

Perhaps the U.S. will win its group and Australia will come in second in theirs, then we can settle this on the pitch, hmm?

thumbs-up.gif

407418[/snapback]

I think the United States have a decent squad, but no more than that. My problem is I struggle to see a player there that will put fear into the hearts of the opposition and have produce that moment of magic in a close game against quality opposition. Now don't say that is because I don't know American players of the MLS because im relatively familiar and also don't say that is because foreign nations won't because every player in your squad will have been scouted so well that opposition teams will know the cereal he eats, especially after what happened in 2002. I have a lot of American fans and for me what gets annoying isn't the fact that they seem to have hope, but more that they seem to have expectations. It is as if the achievement of reaching the quarter finals has meant that from now on that is what you should expect, despite being in a group with two of the best teams in international football.

I'd be suprised to see France get to the semis and wouldn't be suprised to see them not make it past the group stages. Their defense definitely doesn't put the fear of God in anyone.

I have a lot of American fans and for me what gets annoying isn't the fact that they seem to have hope, but more that they seem to have expectations. It is as if the achievement of reaching the quarter finals has meant that from now on that is what you should expect, despite being in a group with two of the best teams in international football.

Eddie, it would appear their lofty positions held in FIFA's contrived 'ratings' (if there was ever an 'american' thing) have gone to the heads of Sam's Army. Third place in their group & a quick opportunity to watch better football in the stands and make daily visits to the beautiful beer gardens beckon!

I'd be suprised to see France get to the semis and wouldn't be suprised to see them not make it past the group stages. Their defense definitely doesn't put the fear of God in anyone.

408240[/snapback]

I don't see the defense being too much of a problem, I have more worries about the midfield and goal scoring. Despite his performances for Arsenal Henry has yet to produce on the international stage, if he doesn't then they are in a bit of trouble. Personally, I don't see them getting that far, but I see them as one of four teams that could win it if things go their way and everything clicks, when you have players of the quality of Henry and pals then anything is possible on the right day.

My feeling is that slowly but surely the rest of the world is catching up to the european/south american powerhouses, and results at upcoming world cups will reflect this growing parity. Not to say that there arent perennial favorites, just that perennial results will be harder and harder to come by.

Having said that, my top 4 at this time are:

1. Serbia & Montenegro

2. Argentina

3. Brazil

4. Croatia

My Dark(er) horses: Paraguay, Costa Rica, Sweden, Mexico

My feeling is that slowly but surely the rest of the world is catching up to the european/south american powerhouses, and results at upcoming world cups will reflect this growing parity. Not to say that there arent perennial favorites, just that perennial results will be harder and harder to come by.

Having said that, my top 4 at this time are:

1. Serbia & Montenegro

2. Argentina

3. Brazil

4. Croatia

My Dark(er) horses: Paraguay, Costa Rica, Sweden, Mexico

408383[/snapback]

Your family is not from the former Yuogoslavia is it?

But to be fair Greece are European champions I suppose, so anything can happen.

Still there are eight or so teams who just have so many more quality players than the other teams in the tournament, so I cannot really see anymore than one of the last four being made up of sides outside that eight.

Spain to get to the final.

407358[/snapback]

Yes, that's not a bad tip. But I think their defense could be better, and they only named 3 strikers blink.gif in their 23 man squad...

Lowest odds has to be Brazil. What a friggin team! But anything can happen. If Ronald is not in the mood there are plenty of teams that could beat them. I'd like to think Argentina and Italy could go far, but for the viewers the latter stages would probably be more interesting if teams like Holland, Germany, England and Brazil were in the mix.

Rovermatt, can we please have a flowchart of the possible matchups in each round to fill out? Would be much easier that way. biggrin.gif

For all I know Italy and Brazil could meet in the quarter final. Oh and France.. Their glory days are over for now I think. Dont think Czechs are the dark horse (not this time as well), that honour must go to Germany. Nobody really expects them to go far, but being at home they are bound to give it all, and may spring some surprise results.

Your family is not from the former Yuogoslavia is it?

408396[/snapback]

hehe no i dont have any family/friends from that part of the world ... just basing my predictions on how the sides looked in qualifying - as well as the gut instinct factor. seems to me that usualy the final 4 are made up of 2 favorites and 2 suprises, so i went with that. it'd be a shocker though for sure!

408383[/snapback]

People have been saying that for decades and it just isn't happening.

Yes, that's not a bad tip. But I think their defense could be better, and they only named 3 strikers  blink.gif  in their 23 man squad...

408397[/snapback]

I think there defence is one of the best in the comp. Pablo and Lopez have had an outstanding year and Puyol is all class. The only question mark would be Marchena, but they great cover in Sergio Ramos. I think that when the forwards are concerned he has named Luis Garcia and Reyes in the midfield so they could easily slot into a strikers position.

latest odds for the world cup

11-4 brazil

7-1 argentina

7-1 england

7-1 germany

8-1 italy

12-1 france

14-1 holland>>> > my tip

14-1 spain>>> >my tip

22-1 portugal

33-1 czech rep>>> >my tip

40-1 sweden

66-1 ukraine

80-1 usa

100-1 australia

1000-1 saudi arabia

latest odds for the world cup

11-4 brazil>>>  > my tip

7-1 argentina>>>  > my tip

7-1 england

7-1 germany>>>  > my tip

8-1 italy>>>  > my tip

12-1 france>>>  > my tip

14-1 holland>>>  > my tip

14-1 spain>>>    >my tip

22-1 portugal>>>  > my tip

33-1 czech rep>>> >my tip

40-1 sweden>>>  > my tip

66-1 ukraine>>>  > my tip

80-1 usa>>>  > my tip

100-1 australia>>>  > my tip

1000-1 saudi arabia>>>  > my tip

408472[/snapback]

I had something similar

i know the germans are the host country but i can't beleve the bookies have them joint 2nd favorites with england and the argentina at 7-1.

the germns group looks on paper simple enough with the poles, costa del sol rica and the other south american team ecuador in it, but when you hit the knock out stages the bookies have obviously favoured them on the penalty taking abilities. ph34r.gif

408240[/snapback]

Except their manager, fellow nationals, fans etc etc etc

i know the germans are the host country but i can't beleve the bookies have them joint 2nd favorites with england and the argentina at 7-1.

408497[/snapback]

I wouldn't have England or Germany as joint second favourites either. Brazil are obviously head-and-shoulders above the rest, then I'd have Argentina, Italy, Czech Republic, Spain, England, France.

I think Italy has a very good chance and I'm picking them to win it. I think the Czech Republic is getting too old to deal with a tournament. I know their solid perfomance in Euro Cup is just two years ago, but even then you could tell their age was a factor. And because of this and only this I think the US can advance through. I do hate to see everyone overlook Ghana as they look to be the strongest African side in the tourney, and capable of an upset, but because of the group they were drawn into, doubtful they can advance.

I can't believe nobody has the Swiss making any noise. I think this team will be a very surprising force in the tournament, possibly even making it into the 3rd place game.

The main thing I'm hoping for, other than a great showing from me Yanks, is that England and Germany face each other in Round 2 (with England winning convincingly) and that either Togo defeats France or Angola defeats Portugal....The colonised defeating the coloniser...That is what I'm looking for

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.