BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Italian Refereeing Scandal

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's put it in this perspective. Aren't Milan losing 44 points from last season, yet ending up one place out of Europe in a much tougher league?

Er, not sure, but if that's true, isn't it due to all the other relegated teams?

I thought Milan were losing 44 points from this season and 15 from the next, as in they start on -44 this year. I've only really looked at it once though so I could easily be wrong.

No 44 from last and -15 at the start of this season. The 44 was designed to take them out of europe i think, otherwise very random figure ;)

1) They don't get the Scudetto

2) They are completely out of Europe in 2006/7 assuming Empoli get sorted which both UEFA and FGIC have said they will.

3) They start with a 2006/7 points deduction which means they almost certainly won't win the Scudetto and based on most recent seasons would make sure they won't qualify for the CL in 2007/8 either.

So that's probably a minimum £20m income wiped out over the next two seasons.

pointless???

Galliani getting a one year ban is a massive decision that has been lost in all the other headlines- that's not just a member of staff (presumably you are thinking of the guy who got banned for 3.5 years), Galliani IS AC Milan if you know anything about how that club operated.

Sorry, forgot about Galliani. My point was that the goal is not to destroy the clubs, neither should it be. I can see why people on here wants maximum punishment, but you have to punish for the crimes made (or more importantly; crimes proven!) and punish the right people in the right way.

£20m loss and obviously two tough seasons for fans, players and management is not a lenient decision, with Galliani gone too.

Why should it? The evidence is against a member of the Milan staff, not the whole club with players, manager and president, some of you needs to get things into perspective here.

I'm not saying I wish to see the clubs forced under, I'm saying I don't think this will change the state of the Italian game. I really couldn't care less who wins the Serie A title next year.

but what I dont understand is why the officials are intimidated by these clubs in the first place? Just what is it they seem to have over them? Maybe someone could explain it to me.

I guess, based on the overwhelming number of responses, that no-one else knows either :(

I'm not saying I wish to see the clubs forced under, I'm saying I don't think this will change the state of the Italian game. I really couldn't care less who wins the Serie A title next year.

The Serie A title could be worth keeping an eye on this time round because none of the 'big' teams are going to be involved. Can you just imagine how relegating Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool would affect the Premiership? It would make it into a real competition for a change and give 'also rans' (like us) not only a chance but a shot in the lime-light.

Edited by MC

So the message there would be that match-fixers can't be allowed into the Champions League, but they're alright to play in the UEFA Cup? :angry: Hopefully it won't happen though - as Phillip said, they're appealing on a technicality and the Italian FA/UEFA will surely give Empoli the go-ahead to play in Europe.

The Mancs only have a short shopping list when they pop over to Turin: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...utd/5189828.stm :o

A considered view of Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina's chances now:

http://www.eurosport.com/football/serie-a/...sto927314.shtml

The result of the Appeals is apparently expected tomorrow (Wednesday).

Edited by philipl

They had better bring the pants with deep pockets then

The 5 players they are targetting are also the 5 players every other big club is targetting

I don't think they will get any of those players

I think they might. Might not even need deep pockets, player power will show.

Who do you think they will get Eddie?

Gianluigi Buffon - won't warm the bench for Van Der Sar

Gianluca Zambrotta - Possibly but strongly linked with Real Madrid

Fabio Cannavaro - Madrid bound for sure

Lilian Thuram - Wants to stay in Italy

Emerson - Either Madrid or Inter

Patrick Vieira - Arsenal legend to the Mancs? It would be a surprise.

I wouldn't rule out either Zambrotta or Cannavaro, while Emerson and Viera are both possible. I don't think Viera will care that much now about being the Arsenal man as he has gone somewhere else, while he may also want to prove himself again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.