BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Italian Refereeing Scandal

I can't remember if someone else mentioned this one here. There was an autobiography or a newspaper article recently where a ref stated that the decisions go the 'big clubs' way because refs are scared of losing the oppurtunity to ref the 'big teams' again. Isn't this just another example of the 'Moggi method' but over here? Shouldn't that be investigated?

After some of the diabolical reffing decisions we have all seen (including RFW deciding how many additional minutes to play against us [still can't believe that there wasn't uproar about this]) surely there is a link here. I suppose that the key is getting a concrete causal link, but that's what investigations are for (to undertake searches to ascertain whether there is one)?

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember if someone else mentioned this one here. There was an autobiography or a newspaper article recently where a ref stated that the decisions go the 'big clubs' way because refs are scared of losing the oppurtunity to ref the 'big teams' again. Isn't this just another example of the 'Moggi method' but over here? Shouldn't that be investigated?

i think it was graham poll. he admitted to being more lenient when refereeing the 'big teams' for precisely that reason.

must as i detest the guy, he's not alone. it's been going on for years, but it is on the increase.

If the prosecutor got what he wanted, Juve would have to sell almost the whole squad (they would take at least 2 years to return to seria A with a very low income in those seasons) and AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio would also be relegated which would make them sell 5 to 10 players each.

So, it would make 40 or more players change team and then maybe Rovers could get a good deal.

A bit naive, I think they would be able to hold on to a few players regardless. I don't have full economical insight in Turin, but as far as I know they still have powerful people behind the scenes, I'm sure they could afford a solid loss for two seasons if it meant Serie A and Champions League football in three years.

Well, two strong reasons would happen:

-the players will to leave, like we are seeing in Juve's case, their top players left (only Buffon stayed, Del Piero is a "home" team and Nedved is in the end of his carreer).

-the loss of millions in TV rights, sponsors, prizes (from all competitions) and gate revenue.

I doubt the owners of the teams would want to pay all the debts.

They may like the club but they don't like to lose money.

Fair enough. They would still have a strong enough team to achieve promotion though, with Mutu, Del Piero, Buffon, Tudor, Nedved, Zebina etc..

Not quite. Mutu went to Fiorentina didn't he?

Bayern call for Juve expulsion from the G14. On this occasion, Ruminiegge has got it absolutely right.

Juve have just posted a E26m loss for the last quarter- mostly selling players for prices below their depreciated book value. The TV hits etc have yet to bite.

Milan have had the audacity to challenge the 8 point deduction for the coming season in the Courts!

Having read the various posts on this subject since the verdicts were first published, I cannot help but feel that not only has justice not been done, but also that the various "players" in this tragi/farce have never had any real intention that it should be done.

It appears that plenty of posturing and noise has followed the original verdicts, but actually all that has happened is that there have been lots of appeals and back-tracking on verdicts and punishments. And at the end of the day I do not believe there has been any real intention by the majority of the Italian and European football powers to actually tackle the problem "root and branch" for the obvious reason that once again "Big Money Rules, OK!"

In other words, there has been a much publicised song and dance as though everyone was scandalised and horror stricken at the situation and much hand wringing and posturing gone on. BUT in reality nothing more than a "re-arrangement of the chairs in the room" has actually happened and that has been the intention all along! So much for justice!!

Edited by Fife Rover

Interesting chapter in "How Soccer Rules the World" (named "How Football Rules the World" in the UK), detailing the potential for abuses the Italian refereeing system had, and how Juve likely flaunts the rules and will never get in trouble for it. The book was written 2-3 years ago.

TheOlympic Committee threw out Juve'sappeal. In reality it was an attempt at reconciliation between Juve and the prosecutors who thankfully wouldn't budge an inch.

Juve's grounds are that they want the same punishment as the other clubs. They are considering their options at a Board meeting on Monday. This includes yet another level of Sports Tribunal appeal and civil action in the Courts. Their latest quarterly turnover figures showed a 40% decline and that is before they have started the new season.

Meantime, Reginna have suffered a 15 points deduction and President banning and Arezzo have lost points and had key people banned in Serie B.

All the other punished clubs are off to the Olympic Committee on appeal.

FIFA have threatened FIGC with expulsion if Juve continue their case through the Civil Courts.

Apparently there is an international agreement that associations cannot be subject to Civil cases in matters of sporting jurisdiction.

This could get interesting.

Juve case due in the Civil Courts on September 1st. If there is any verdict other than summary dismissal, the Italian season will be further delayed.

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.