BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Italian Refereeing Scandal

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else getting the feeling that after all the "get tough" talk the Iti's will do what they are famous for, chicken out. Some time to soften the stance of the Judges, just a thought.

What happens with all the contractual obligations with sponsors for clubs and players alike, surely that will be a mess and likely to deter too harsh of a punishment.

Anyone else getting the feeling that after all the "get tough" talk the Iti's will do what they are famous for, chicken out. Some time to soften the stance of the Judges, just a thought.

What happens with all the contractual obligations with sponsors for clubs and players alike, surely that will be a mess and likely to deter too harsh of a punishment.

My first thought when I heard of the delay was that they might desperately be trying to come up with punishments which didn't involve relegation but which were at the same time acceptable to the Italian Public and world at large.

My first thought when I heard of the delay was that they might desperately be trying to come up with punishments which didn't involve relegation but which were at the same time acceptable to the Italian Public and world at large.

Kiss on both cheeks followed by a stilletto between the ribs for the club President? :huh:

Well, you can't really blame them for that now can you? They are, after all, punishing themselves in a way. Until the verdict is public, there's no need to criticise!

The fall out from the anticipated verdicts is beginning- Juve to sell seven: http://wc2006.telegraph.co.uk/Document.asp...97-87405AF04CA7

The Times report that all of Real's £35m transfer budget will go on a Serie A clean-up of a different sort and that Ashley Cole won't find anyone willing to trigger his £16m release clause to leave Arsenal because of the glut of top flight players on the market.

But in reallity I expect any fall out of the real top guys to simply swell the benches of Europes biggest clubs. Jealousy will mean that squads are expanded simply to prevent the top players signing for rival clubs rather than to provide even greater strength in depth. Plus no matter who gets signed on any existing players already under contract will sit on their hands until their contracts run out. So unless players go out on loan any dispersal sale of players will have little or no effect on the likes of us.

At least we will know the decision in one long drawn out Italian interlude will be after the Italian stock exchange closes this evening. The period of not knowing has been used to reach agreement that UEFA will act based on the initial decisions of the Sporting Tribunal due to be announced at about 4.30pm UK time.

So although everything will go to appeal, it seems certain that Roma will be straight into the CL group stages which could well have an adverse impact on the possibility of Mido arriving at Ewood assuming we haven't heard during the day- which seems the likeliest scenario.

There is another fall-out from the scandal in that Italy's bids for European Nations in 2012 which they were favourites to win and the Olympics in 2016 for which they were no-hopers anyway are in tatters because the key bid leaders are amongst the 29 named individuals who will be receiving judgements this evening as well.

As such, there is pressure for uncompromising verdicts either clearing those individuals or sweeping them and their systems out of the way.

This Guardian article points to a pretty uncompromising stance coming from those close to the Sporting Tribunal. Berlusconi (AC) plea to punish individuals rather than the fans (ie the clubs) seems to have spectacularly backfired. Berlusconi going back into the Presidency of AC makes it more likely that political pressure will have been applied by the new Government to make sure there is zero leniency for AC Milan.

For a slide show of players likely to be changing clubs, click on "Fancy an Italian" here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/index.jhtml

There are simply too many good players who will need to move and too few "top" clubs to accommodate them for a club like Rovers not to be in prime position to benefit somehow if the verdicts are closer to the prosecutors' request than the defence's.

Edited by philipl

It already is doing - the Mido delay.

If all four clubs get relegation sentences today, 20 of their best players looking to move clubs (plus all the others wanting to jump ship to keep playing European football) is bound to impact the market Rovers are operating in. Even "just" seven players leaving Juve will shift the market.

Edited by philipl

It already is doing - the Mido delay.

Whether Roma are playing in the Champions League or UEFA Cup Mido ain't going to get a game if he's 5th choice striker! So I don't see that as much of a factor.

Similarly if the most likely scenario happens that Juventus are relegated, a handful of top players will relocate temporarily or otherwise to top Champions League Clubs around Europe - it won't impact on us at all.

I've been told that unconfirmed reports are starting to come out of italy that Juventus have been relegated to Serie B with a 15-point deduction.

They will be joined in Serie B by Fiorentina and Lazio, while Milan will be stripped of their Champs League place but will remain in Serie A.

Just passing info on that I have had, so don't shoot me if this doesnt transpire!

Similarly if the most likely scenario happens that Juventus are relegated, a handful of top players will relocate temporarily or otherwise to top Champions League Clubs around Europe - it won't impact on us at all.

But even if just a few players move from Juventus to CL clubs, that will shake up the existing players at those clubs and give clubs like Rovers opportunities. For example, if someone at a CL club finds themselves not first choice, they may well prefer regular first team and European football to bench warming.

I've been told that unconfirmed reports are starting to come out of italy that Juventus have been relegated to Serie B with a 15-point deduction.

They will be joined in Serie B by Fiorentina and Lazio, while Milan will be stripped of their Champs League place but will remain in Serie A.

Just passing info on that I have had, so don't shoot me if this doesnt transpire!

This was reported on Radio 4 this morning from an article in Gazzetta Dello Sport - the main Italian sports paper. It's still speculation, but from what would be a very well informed source.

the major of florence has responded to the leak - saying he hopes it wouldnt be a severe as reported, but if the leak is true, serious doubts must be raised about the integrety of the people involved in the investigation.

http://www.agi.it/news.pl?doc=200607141306...ROM-SPR-A-ORD02

reports are saying that the cost of relegation means they'll have to sell up to 7 star players.

i'd expect juve to look at the possibilty of loaning their top players to english/ spanish clubs, so that they can retain them if they gain promotion @ the 1st attempt.

I don't see how they could gain promotion with a 15 point deduction. It would certainly take some doing.

Well it's certainly not unheard of for the margin between 1st and 3rd in a league to be 15pts, happened in the premiership as well I'm sure (Or at least 1st-4th. My memory is bad with numbers like this ;)). Especially so with a club like Juve involved. While they won't keep their big name stars, they still have a good squad, keeping in mind that they've in a position to sign a lot of the young talent for years etc. I'd also imagine they have a lot of players out on loan, or co-ownership deals on players from serie B teams or smaller serie A teams who could well play for the in serie B, and who would be good enough to win the league. And like Angelo di Livio stayed with Fiorentina at the time, someone like del Piero might do the same (And he's already mentioned something along those lines).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.