BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dickov Leaves.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you're wrong. Cole in his prime was great, but unfortunately he hasn't been in his prime in years.

Then again, he's done such wonders since he left us....

dickov knows his limitations and plays to the best of his abilities. you can doubt his technical abilty and and finishing, but not his commitment.

i think he'll regret his decison, but maybe he'd rather have a bit more money- than play for a top 6 side ?

i thank him for his service, but find it hard to wish him all the best... afterall he's going to citeh.

with all the people slagging him, i'm left wondering.... if he was hated so much, how has "there's only 1 paul dickov" been ringing round the grounds we've been playing at , for the last 2 seasons?

I think Dickov knew that Mark Hughes was going to bring in 1 maybe 2 quality strikers and he knew that he would probably be warming the bench next season so he decided to move on to get regular first team fooball.He did a good job at Rovers without being sensational I thought he might have gone to Sheffield Utd but it looks like its Man City.

Good Luck Paul Thanks!

Dickov is not crap. He might not be Thierry Henry, but he possesses other qualities that have been invaluable to us over the last couple of years.

409258[/snapback]

Precisely. The vast majority of Premiership strikers have more ability, but none have a higher work rate. If Jermain Defoe had half the workrate of Paul Dickov, he certainly wouldn't be on his way out the door at Spurs right now.

Thanks for the effort and commitment, Paul. Best of luck in the future.

Looks like everyone desperately wants to say "thanks for the effort but you were cr*p." but doesn't want to say it without dressing it up a bit.

409251[/snapback]

Could not disagree more. 17 goals in 65 appearances for 100 grand was money well spent.

He was good value and I doubt his commitment and work rate but I would have rather kept Cole had Souness not fallen out with him. I won't miss him simply because I never expected to see Dickov play much next season anyway.

Dickov decides against renewing Rovers contract.

Without Dickov's 10 goals in his first season we very well could have gone down,

409164[/snapback]

Tend to disagree. It's more a case of "We very nearly went down because Dickov was our main striker" Without his goals we would have gone down sure, but with the then blossoming partnership of Cole and Stead or a better player of genuine Premiership quality in his place who's to say we wouldn't have done a whole lot better?.

Wasn't it more like seven (including a couple of penalties) in the League anyway?

Not a good return from your main striker, nor could he link up with any other strike partner. Never was Premiership class and at 33 seems to be sharply on the decline as well. I'm really really surprised there is reported interest from another Premiership Club.

This is a fantastic week for the Club, Dickov and Amoruso off the wage bill in the space of a couple of days. Before that Flitcroft Gresko and (sadly but inevitably) Jansen. I'm tingling with anticipation as to who Sparky might be bringing in the other way. thumbs-up.gifrover.gif

Have to agree with Rev...it was a backwards step by our previous manager.

Cant blame Dickov for his workrate but I wont be sorry to see the back of the moaning jock.

Those who suggest that his goals kept us up, maybe true but I'd be more inclined to think he hindered the other strikers.

Some stats from 2004-05 season relating to Dickov.

Goals League 9 cup 1 total 10

Assists League 3 cup 0 total 3

yellow cards League 7 cup 2 total 9

I agree with Rev - no other team in the prem would have gone with him as #1 choice striker.

Having said that, I quite liked him for a while before I became obsessed with the number of free kicks he gave to the oppostion through his patented reverse grab-around and his complete ignorance of the offside law - at least 10 a game.

Tend to disagree. It's more a case of "We very nearly went down because Dickov was our main striker" Without his goals we would have gone down sure, but with the then blossoming partnership of Cole and Stead or a better player of genuine Premiership quality in his place who's to say we wouldn't have done a whole lot better?.

Wasn't it more like seven (including a couple of penalties) in the League anyway?

Not a good return from your main striker...

409395[/snapback]

Have to contend some points there, Rev. First off, let's not place blame on Dickov because Souness reckoned him good enough to be our main striker. Sure he's plain and simply not good enough to be the #1 striker for a Premiership outfit, but he's an effective striker with tremendous work effort who will add something to any midtable side.

And you know what? Raw ability-wise, Dickov probably isn't Premiership class (as you said, Rev)... which is certainly a testament to the effort he puts in. He is an effective Premiership striker because of that work rate.

True, Rovers are on the up and the club can attract a higher quality of player now, but Dickov's yeomanlike efforts in his two years at the club have been commendable. Blame Souey for making him our main striker, but don't blame Dickov for the effort he put in in that role. All the best to the fiery little Scot.

Good post Philly. I'd say more or less the same thing, and for those having a go at him in comparison to Cole, well these are the stats.

(03/04) Andy Cole - 11 goals in 34 games (0.32 gpg)

(04/05) Paul Dickov - 9 goals in 27 games (0.33 gpg)

And Cole was playing in a team with the likes of Duff and Dunn who created bag loads of chances and finished in the top 6 that season, Dickov was playing in a team with the lowest scoring record in the clubs history who created about 1 chance every other game.

We all know ability wise Cole is superior but his absolutely appalling work-rate brought him down to Dickov's level, if not worse. And given the choice of a star who looked like he couldn't give a shiny **** about the club and a workhorse who ran himself into the ground every week for it, I know who I'd chose.

Cheers Paul, top man.

Dickov is not crap. He might not be Thierry Henry, but he possesses other qualities that have been invaluable to us over the last couple of years.

Anybody who goes out on the pitch and gives everything game after game and plays a major part in us avoiding relegation deserves better than to be called crap.

409258[/snapback]

And that includes Kuqi!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.