BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dickov Leaves.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for age, crayons and amanda my version of that is almost the same, a true story is [] i drew all over a girl called amanda(different surname) on her face everywhere, put paint in her hair and stuck things to her with glue coz we thought it was funny. i had to sit on the naughty carpet for the rest of the afternoon, oh happy days :blink:

Yesterday sounded like fun - how did today go?

Got to be a measure of how far Rovers have improved under Hughes that a player would leave us for a wealthier club like Man City because they would have a better chance of first team football there.

Good luck to Dickov, who always gave 100% but was clearly past his best towards the end. He'll get a warm welcome next time he plays at Ewood (safe in the knowledge he'll spend the whole time offside or standing like a scarecrow with arms outstretched, moaning away at all and sundry!).

Since leaving us...

Andy Cole - 2004/2005 - Fulham - League games

31 games - 12 goals ( gpg - 0.39)

2005/2006 - Man City - League games -

22 games - 9 goals ( gpg - 0.41).

So Cole has definitely performed much better in the last two seasons regarding goals than Dickov.

However, Cole was (apparently as it stands to reason for what was a regular England international when we bought him) on 60k a week when with us and cost 8million for the transfer fee.

I doubt Dickov was on a third of what Cole was and cost 150,000.

Dickov repesented better value for money but meant we were always going to be struggling while he was our best striker. Not his fault though, that is the fault of our previous manager.

Starting a Premiership season with Stead and Dickov as our first choice front two - best not to think back kids, it'll give you nightmares. :P

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Dickov was on a hefty wage- remember the deal he had was a transfer for £150K- that amount under a market value of perhaps £2m at the time would have gone into his wage packet.

The guy was a very useful player but if he turns up at Citeh, we can be pretty certain they will struggle next season. In the last six months, Dickov certainly looked like time, his reputation with referees and defenders' coaches had caught up with him.

Dickov was on a hefty wage- remember the deal he had was a transfer for £150K- that amount under a market value of perhaps £2m at the time would have gone into his wage packet.

I doubt that. For the 1.5 million to be eaten up in wages he would of needed to be on around 30k a week.

The only reason we would ever of paid that is if other clubs put in offers that forced us to do that to tempt him. Sure, I rekon he got a decent signing bonus, but nowhere near those kind of figures.

He was cheap-cheap-cheapy-cheep-cheep. Like the budgie. Thats why we signed him.

£2 million? Where on earth did you pull that ridiculous figure from?

He was cheap-cheap-cheapy-cheep-cheep. Like the budgie. Thats why we signed him.

For some reason that made me laugh!!!

I can't be bothered. Just take it that Dickov was on a substantial wage based on arriving cheaply on the transfer.

Why should he take it? Because your blessed with insight beyond the average follower of footie? How so?

Just because we get someone for a minimal fee it does not mean that the player will get the balance of what the transfer would of been had he been in contract.

In order to do that the player would negotiating leverage from somewhere. We don't just give money away.

The only way he would be extraordinarily well paid would be if the price was forced up by other clubs banging his door down a la Sol Cambell at the end of his time at Spurs. Didn't happen in this case.

Q. What were ten+ goals a year strikers aged around 30 fetching at that time? A £1m+

Q. Why had Dickov's agent written a £150K relegation release clause into his contract? A. So he could negotiate a Bosman or as near as makes no difference

Q. Were we the only club interested in Dickov when he was leaving Leicester? A. No

Q. Why has Dickov left us now. A. Because Rovers were offering a wages deal more appropriate for a 33 year old squad player which were probably less than 50% of what he was on before and he saw the chance of another Bosman-type screw at Man City.

Edited by philipl

Which isn't Dickov's fault, he is a decent striker, just not what you'd ever want as your Number 1 striker.

What the hell happened to Souness at the end of his time with us? Madness. Cole out and Dickov in was the worst decision of the lot and it had plenty of opposition in that regard.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Dickov was supposedly on c13k p.w. .

Cheap, but no use whatsoever if he isn't good enough and you get relegated as so nearly happened.

While I agree with the latter part of the statement, Dickov himself (in terms of footballer generally- the rumors are that MGP is going to get 3x that wage) was well worth it IMHO.

13k a week for a player who scored 10 goals a season? Golden.

In the light of Gresko, Amoruso, Emerton, Grabbi, Matteo etc - who earn much more than that and do/did f-all -that is a positive bargain!

ps. I rekon, although I have no real evidence of this, that Tugay has earnt over the period he has been at Rovers a fraction of the 'star' players at the club. Yet he has been, at some points at least, the most important individual in our side. The crazy world of footie, eh?

Yours salary is not determined by your ability/recent performance but rather how many clubs are interested in you at the time of negotiation.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Yours salary is not determined by your ability/recent performance but rather how many clubs are interested in you at the time of negotiation.

also by having a good agent, alot of the transfer speculaton is generated by the agents in football today and if they can bring in tons of interest for their player, it means clubs paying more salary, bounus etc and then of cause the agent will recieve a bigger cut of the deal.

"In fact, the first person I phoned up when I made my decision was Mark Hughes.

"I've probably learnt more under him in the last two years than I have at any previous point in my career.

"The club I'm leaving is totally different from the one I joined."

Dickov in the LET

ps. I rekon, although I have no real evidence of this, that Tugay has earnt over the period he has been at Rovers a fraction of the 'star' players at the club. Yet he has been, at some points at least, the most important individual in our side. The crazy world of footie, eh?

Would this be because his wages on Football Manager are low? ;)

I remember someone claiming Mokoena was on £25,000 using the same theory.

Would this be because his wages on Football Manager are low? ;)

I remember someone claiming Mokoena was on £25,000 using the same theory.

Well I suppose that is a factor!

But seriously I doubt that Tugay has ever been on the money that Ferguson, or Cole, or Yorke, or Bellamy. Mainly becuse there weren't too many sides in for him when he came to us, and we have not had to offer big deals to get him to stay as far as I remember (there was some interest from Galatasary, but that was it I think).

thanx paul uve been great

kept uz up in 04-05 season

gud luk at city

English please. Text speak is frowned upon on this board.

No insult intended but just thought you should know.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.