BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Big Club Bias

There was a case two weeks ago in Italy where Luca Toni was sent off for elbowing a Parma player. This is an automatic 2 game ban in here. The new Italian reveiw panel looked at the video which showed the Parma player holding Toni's shirt and the big man trying to shake himself free without making any contact, the player then went down holding his face. The review panel removed the two game ban from Toni AND GAVE IT TO THE ACTOR! They have won a lot of support for the move - even in Parma.

This happened after the game but it shows clearly the support video evidence has from the public. IMHO the sooner we have video evidence the better - will it really slow down the game longer than the players waffling on to the ref?

There was a case two weeks ago in Italy where Luca Toni was sent off for elbowing a Parma player. This is an automatic 2 game ban in here. The new Italian reveiw panel looked at the video which showed the Parma player holding Toni's shirt and the big man trying to shake himself free without making any contact, the player then went down holding his face. The review panel removed the two game ban from Toni AND GAVE IT TO THE ACTOR! They have won a lot of support for the move - even in Parma.

This happened after the game but it shows clearly the support video evidence has from the public. IMHO the sooner we have video evidence the better - will it really slow down the game longer than the players waffling on to the ref?

this sounds like a good idea! imagine that, chelsea will have some problems when 10 of their players is suspended :lol:

On RTE in Ireland last night, Ray Houghton made his feelings known about that ref with the wonderful comment that "the ref may as well have been wearing a blue shirt out there today. EVERY 50-50 went to Chelsea" and of course, he mentioned the "tackle"

I'd be happy for video evidence to be used retrospectively and punishments handed out to the actors and fakers after the event, thus not slowing the game at all. :tu:

A point that I have made many times and one that will dispence with 'homers' and big club bias. Lets face it 40000 people roaring at 1 individual is bound to influence decisions. I dare say it would with each and every one of us.

I'm still against video evidence, just because I think it could slow the game down and it would be difficult to know when to use it and when not to.

Something I think that is more realistic and could have much more of an impact would be reviewing games afterwards and punishing obvious cheating.

Has anyone seen Jeff winter on SSN this afternoon. Going on about the Mendes challenge and the Chelsea one from the weekend.

He's talking about the referee league table produced by the assessors. But he said that after they have been given a mark, the referee can appeal against their marks and have them changed. He said there is a feeling that 'some referees can do no wrong'

I'd be happy for video evidence to be used retrospectively and punishments handed out to the actors and fakers after the event, thus not slowing the game at all. :tu:

I'd go along with that too. It might not stop anything during a game (at first), but if the cheaters, lets just say like that bloke from Spuds "losing his balance" in the box against Pompey at weekend, if may be sufficient to put a stop to it in future games. Especially if match bans are handed out.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to bring this thread back up I was fascinated by events last weekend following the Everton v Sheffield United game. Neil Warnock was less than complimentary to say the least about Dermot Gallagher's performance and whilst he has a bit of a reputation for whinging unjustly, one of the allegations he made was that Gallagher was presented with a signed shirt by Everton before the game.

They were making a bit of a thing about it on Talksport the following morning and the head of communications at Everton came on to give it the official spin "It was Dermott's last season and probably his last appearance at Goodison, and it was decided as a club in private that if he didn't send two of their players off etc they'd make a presentation to him after the game blah blah"

Then David Moyes came on after without hearing what the other guy said and let slip that Gallagher had an Irish connection with Lee Carsley and had specifically requested a shirt signed by Carsley. Moyes didn't think there was anything at all untoward about this and said it was entirely commonplace for refs to ask for shirts signed by particular players.

This raised more questions than it answered and I texted in saying that if it was commonplace for refs to ask for shirts signed by certain players this must indicate clear bias in favour of the team in question. The text was read out by Mike Parry and Andy Townsend who quickly dismissed it saying that refs didn't ask for them for themselves they were often used for charitable purposes etc.

That is no doubt often true but it obviously wasn't the case in that particular instance and, sorry, there's no way Gallagher would award anything of any significance against Everton if he was hoping for a signed shirt from Carsley!

How many more refs officiate games not wanting to jeapordise their chances of a signed Henry/Rooney/Gerrard shirt?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.