BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hd Ready Lcd Tv

Guest Dik Bleek

FREESAT is due in the spring, HD, Hardrive recording same as Freeview but better and you do not have to deal with rip off Sky!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a 42 inch TV (1080p full HD), online for just under £700. If I bought it - I'd have to wall mount it. How easy are they to wallmount? I'd want it quite high up - and the brackets I saw (tilted ones) hold the screen "less than 3ft away from the wall".

That sounds quite a long way from the wall to me - especially in a small lounge.

Does anyone else have their TV wall-mounted - and if so - how far off the wall is it? how easy was it to mount? how high up is it?

Cheers,

Rick

I've had a walmounted tv, only a couple inches off of the wall, probably about 5-5/12 feet up the wall. Not very hard to do.

Cheers Eddie. Did you have it flat against the wall - or angled down slightly? What did you use to mount it?

Cheers Eddie. Did you have it flat against the wall - or angled down slightly? What did you use to mount it?

My mate wall mounted his and at the insistance of his missus mounted it way too high - it is literally a pain in the neck to watch - you want it to be about level with your eyes when you're sitting down - which can look a little wierd - just have a look at how high your TV is from the deck now and make it about the same

My mate wall mounted his and at the insistance of his missus mounted it way too high - it is literally a pain in the neck to watch - you want it to be about level with your eyes when you're sitting down - which can look a little wierd - just have a look at how high your TV is from the deck now and make it about the same

The problem is the gap at the level the TV is at now isn't wide enough (there is a radiator to the left of it). So it's going to have to be a bit higher - with part of it over the top of a radiator. How close can it be to a radiator safely?

Edited by LeftWinger

I used the wall mount package thing that came with it, fixed onto the wall quite easily. It was falt against the wall, but I could have tilted it down slightly, but would have had to pulled it slightly further away from the wall in order to be able to do that.

The problem is the gap at the level the TV is at now isn't wide enough (there is a radiator to the left of it). So it's going to have to be a bit higher - with part of it over the top of a radiator. How close can it be to a radiator safely?

I can't give you an exact answer, but LCD HD TV's run at a higher temp than CRT's, - they have a much higher power consumption - so keep well away from radiators.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
After a reasonable period of HD being available I am now interested in having sky hd installed. My question to those that have it is :- was it worth it or is it all hype? :- would you still have it installed or would you advise me to wait.

FYI I have a 32" Sony Bravia tv and subscribe to the full sky package.

Quick question for people with Sky HD - when they come round with your new HD box, do they also supply a HDMI cable? Or do I need to go and buy one. Cheers ...

That's good to know, saves me buying one.

I just got an excellent deal on Sky HD as an existing customer. Called to downgrade my premium channels and told them I wanted to see if I could have the deal that was being talked about on the internet (digitalspy.co.uk). They said no problem.

So, Sky HD for £75 + £30 installation, coming next Wednesday. The only stipulation is that I have to keep 2 of my premium channels for 12 months.

Guest Kamy100

Sky HD is superb, yup also got HDMI lead with it. Beware though the HD boxes are unreliable, I am on my 3rd box.

Sky HD is superb, yup also got HDMI lead with it. Beware though the HD boxes are unreliable, I am on my 3rd box.

Call me old fashioned - but my TV works ok - I get sky plus with the complete package - so why do I need to go down the HD road. The picture maybe ' a little better ' in some peoples opinion. Is this not this HD stuff, just another gimmic to get us to part with our money?

But why spend money on something that is NOT needed. Oh sky + boxes also break down I am also on my third

Guest Kamy100
Call me old fashioned - but my TV works ok - I get sky plus with the complete package - so why do I need to go down the HD road. The picture maybe ' a little better ' in some peoples opinion. Is this not this HD stuff, just another gimmic to get us to part with our money?

But why spend money on something that is NOT needed. Oh sky + boxes also break down I am also on my third

That is cool that you are happy with what you have. For me the HD picture, particularly for Sports it is substancially better than normal Sky picture on LCD TV so the extra £10 per month is well worth it for me.

That is cool that you are happy with what you have. For me the HD picture, particularly for Sports it is substancially better than normal Sky picture on LCD TV so the extra £10 per month is well worth it for me.

Extra £10 a month + plus new TV + new Sky box. Even if the quality of the picture isn't as good as HD - I'll put off the change for as long as I can. Yes I still use XP on my computer and refuse to go to Vista and will continue for as long as my computer holds out etc. Yes if you see a ford fusion on the road with a door hanging off, steam coming out from all sorts of places, more dents and scratches than original paint owrk - it's mine.

Anyway pleased you enjoy your picture. :brfcsmilie:

We got ours installed at the beginning of June (great timing I know but the old box packed in). Anyway I really can't stand cricket (unless Ireland are playing in the WC :lol: ) but the picture is so good in HD that I find myself flicking over to SSHD just to see if there is any on :S

Extra £10 a month + plus new TV + new Sky box. Even if the quality of the picture isn't as good as HD - I'll put off the change for as long as I can. Yes I still use XP on my computer and refuse to go to Vista and will continue for as long as my computer holds out etc. Yes if you see a ford fusion on the road with a door hanging off, steam coming out from all sorts of places, more dents and scratches than original paint owrk - it's mine.

Anyway pleased you enjoy your picture. :brfcsmilie:

The resolution on a HD tv can be 9 times better than that of a standard TV.

Plus when using an Xbox360/PS3, the difference in picture quality is phenomenal.

Saying that though, I have had my TV since August and still don't envisage coughing up £250 for a SKY HD box. I am happy with standard TV and HD xbox (you can use it to download HD films if you wish)

To you people getting HD.

HD is superb, - no doubts about it. BUT, to get the best picture on your new sets, the TV must be set up to it's optimum setting. Settings are everything.

Nor is it as easy as you might think. You have a combination of Backlight, Brightness, Contrast and Colour to adjust. Lot's more picture enhancers, such as black stretch, contrast enhancer, Gamma etc, as well. The possible combinations there are immense. Add to that, Sharpness and colour tints/tones and you will see there is a great deal more, to setting up a LCD TV, than there is with a CRT.

Set the TV badly and High Definition wont look as good as it should.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.