BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Souey Sets Sights On Palace

FLB you obviously never had the pleasure of watching rovers week in week out under Kidd !!

Not at all, I did have that pleasure but we weren't going down again under Kidd. As bad as we were, he was sacked for our faltering promotion bid. I'm pretty sure we weren't near the relegation zone when we were sacked.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, is signing players that difficult? I mean is it that difficult to spot a decent player if you have followed football from a young age and have a certain amount of intelligence? Surely, coaching players and managing them to maximise their potential is the hardest part?

Well if you look at all the flops that every single premiership club has had in their history it does suggest that buying players and selecting ones that will flourish at your club is vital.

It is a difficlt art, indeed perhaps te most difficult as it defines what kind of side you have. Perhaps it is easy for Mourinho who can go out and buy whoever he likes. But Paul Jewell has shown genius in the players he has bought.

If your theory is correct, "its easy to spot good players" why didn't anyone with more status buy chimbonda or Bellamy or Mendes or Gabbidon or any of the other numerous players who turned out to look absolute bargains? Ultimately you have to be the one who says- I believe this player can succeed and then back them. It is not easy at all.

Teams live and die by their signings. Just ask Sunderland.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Same old tiresome toss droppings from Jan.

The "ignore user" facility just came in handy again.

Obviously not- or maybe psychic powers are at work? Doubt that. Since simple reasoning doesn't seem to be part of the make-up, higher powers almost certainly won't be.

Sorry- but anyone who thinks that Souness has any semblance of tactical nouse hasn't been watching his teams performances for the past 3 seasons.

Even the hoodwinked majority questioned the tactics and team choices in his latter 2ish years with us- not replacing Duff, anyone? The geordies, on the other hand, didn't have the rose-tinted specs that you lot had. They knew from day 1 he was rubbish- and they were proved right.

Edited by Jan

Jan, I don't think anyone is really going to disagree with you; but you have to admit that he was a great manager for us in his first 3 seasons here and I for one am very glad that we had him.

Jan, I don't think anyone is really going to disagree with you; but you have to admit that he was a great manager for us in his first 3 seasons here and I for one am very glad that we had him.

I was never glad we had him. I saw his picking Darren Peacock for his first game in charge "because he'd heard of him", as a sign of things to come*. There were a few "ups" before the concentrated downs of the latter seasons, but I never trusted him to have the best interests at BRFC at heart in anything he ever did. That's why I'd have preferred someone else at the time he was hired. Prefereably someone young and with something to prove. He bought Sparky, though!

(*Sorry to remind people about Peacock. If you remember he hadn't been near to the team for a while by that point- thanks to his habit of passing the ball ever so slowly across the box. Just slowly enough to allow the opposing forward to intercept and score, indeed!)

Jan your the most one dimensional poster ever, Cicuado every so often mentioned something other than MGP

Of my last 10 posts (before this one) 6 had nothing whatsoever to do with Souness.

Try and get even ONE fact right!

Just to compare our last few managers with GS...

First of all lets accept that GS was a manager with us for a couple of seasons in the old division one but

Since Kenny left:

Brian Kidd 36 games - 38 points - 1.05 points per game

Roy Hodgson 51 games - 67points - 1.31 points per game

Ray Harford 48 games - 65 points -1.35 points per game

Tony Parkes 47 games - 77 points - 1.64 points per game

Graeme Sounesss 127 games - 253 points - 1.99 points per game

Mark Hughes 71 games - 100 points - 2.70 points per game

I'll get me anorak .............................

(nice warm glow about that last line though isn't it?)

Hmmm, I'm obviously not too clever with the "Ignore User" facility.

Jan, whether you're right or wrong, I just find the whole thing so tiresome. Whenever his name is mentioned you're on the scene like a ferret up a trouser-leg. Slagging off his efforts, and deriding those who disagree with you, frequently insulting their intelligence.

It's the same old tiresome **** again and again and again. I've just had enough of it, so I'll have another go at using the "Ignore" facility.

Ta.

EDIT: Hmmm ... well you're on my ignore list, but obviously I just can't get rid of you.

Nightmare. :(

Edited by Bryan

Just to compare our last few managers with GS...

First of all lets accept that GS was a manager with us for a couple of seasons in the old division one but

Since Kenny left:

Brian Kidd 36 games - 38 points - 1.05 points per game

Roy Hodgson 51 games - 67points - 1.31 points per game

Ray Harford 48 games - 65 points -1.35 points per game

Tony Parkes 47 games - 77 points - 1.64 points per game

Graeme Sounesss 127 games - 253 points - 1.99 points per game

Mark Hughes 71 games - 100 points - 2.70 points per game

I'll get me anorak .............................

(nice warm glow about that last line though isn't it?)

When maths are corrected Souness comes out on top!!!! I have no grudge (anymore), the Souness era had its ups and downs and his departure has been nothing but good for Rovers.... and amusing!

He's a decent manager, just not a class manager like we have now.

Get over it. He left, he was humilated, we got Hughes ... what more do people want?

When maths are corrected Souness comes out on top!!!!

But you have to throw into the mix the time in div 1 under souness and also that hughes had to make do with souness' team for half a season. :rover:

But they weren't in their pomp until Souness changed things up. Who came in to buy any of them when we went down? Duff was more often that not a round-shouldered back-passer to the LB, Jansen was a ball-hogging show-pony and Dunn had had a very inauspiscious start to his first team career. They all did sod-all in our first year down.

I am no fan of the Souness of the latter years, but to deny the impact he had on at least two of those players is re-writing history. I think he will do well with Palace, as he did with us until the Grabbi signing.

Think the math on the last bit is a little off, I really wish it was 2.7 points a game though.

That's being very kind.

1.45 points per game for MH

Anorak on and bank holiday monday on platform five of Crewe Station for me.

Hmmm, I'm obviously not too clever with the "Ignore User" facility.

Jan, whether you're right or wrong, I just find the whole thing so tiresome.

EDIT: Hmmm ... well you're on my ignore list, but obviously I just can't get rid of you.

Nightmare. :(

Imagine how Souness must feel! :lol:

But they weren't in their pomp until Souness changed things up. Who came in to buy any of them when we went down? Duff was more often that not a round-shouldered back-passer to the LB, Jansen was a ball-hogging show-pony and Dunn had had a very inauspiscious start to his first team career. They all did sod-all in our first year down.

I am no fan of the Souness of the latter years, but to deny the impact he had on at least two of those players is re-writing history. I think he will do well with Palace, as he did with us until the Grabbi signing.

My personal view is that a player like Duff would've emerged as a great talent regardless of the manager.

However, it's all hypothetical.

I think it'd be good to see Souey at Palace, so that this debate of whether he is a good manager can finally put to bed. Having not impressed at Liverpool, Southampton (brief spell), Benfica, under-performed at Gala despite winning a cup and overseen things go horribly pear-shaped at Rovers, I'm surprised there is still a debate. There is no doubt that he did many good things for us and was successful at Rangers but I am surprised that any chairman would still see Souness as a manager that can take them places long-term.

You can imagine him going into Palace, a team of low-profile players and winning their respect immediately simply by virtue of his reputation and profile. It didn't work with Newcastle because their famous players were hardly going to awed by Graeme Souness. However, whether a Souey-driven Palace make an impressive start, it will surely all end in tears. (That's the fans tears, not Souness who will be financially ready for retirement because one more managerial cock-up and even his name won't seduce chairmen).

Edited by rover6

Any chance of Souness going to North End now Davies has buggered off to Derby?

I actually think he'd do a good job for them...or anyone else in the championship for that matter! It's when they get in the premiership that the problems will begin!

Of course not, why would Bruce want to leave that sleeping giant of a club? And sleeping might become comatose before long.

Apparently, it's Zaccheroni that Palace are speaking to.

yeah i seen that on teletext the other night, didn't he used to manage in the serie A for parma or a fairly big itilian club along those lines?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.