BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bye Bye Carling

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just going through our new suppliers website thwaites.co.uk and noticed the sponsorship link.

So now do i not only dislike them for taking away carling but also because they sponsor the dingles :angry:

There is a brand section there with all the beers they do aswell. God help us :P

I might well have misread the section on sponsorship, but it reads to me that Thwaites supply Blackpool and Burnley with beer.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be ironic if Burnley could not get a firm from their town to sponsor them?

The difference won't even be noticable. How many grounds in the country actually sell good beer?

Carling is one of the worst lagers in the world, and all smoothflow beers are the same tastless imitations of real beer.

You will still get Carling (as Thwaites serve it in their pubs), and you'll get Thwaites Smooth.

Could be worse I suppose. Bud light and John Smiths....

I'm confused.

Years ago I heard tremendous tales regarding the quality of Thwaites beer.. hand pumped from a wooden cask... a 'living' beer as opposed to all the modern beers that are carbonated from steel kegs.

When I first visited Blackburn in '99 I even took pictures of the Thwaites factory :lol:

I presume from this thread that Thwaites is now some huge conglomerate selling a few varieties of dodgy foreign 'flashy' beers that make Stella look like a rich and nourishing meal.

Can someone please explain the difference between the Thwaites that I used to know (which some people are referring to here) and the modern Thwaites?!?

I might well have misread the section on sponsorship, but it reads to me that Thwaites supply Blackpool and Burnley with beer.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be ironic if Burnley could not get a firm from their town to sponsor them?

It might be heresy but a nice pint of Moorhouses Pendle Witch pre-match would go down very well.

<It might be heresy but a nice pint of Moorhouses Pendle Witch pre-match would go down very well.>

Talking of heresy, SS, you're from the land of 3Bs ! Been on a few brewery tours including, Tuborg, Carlsberg, Guinness, Matthew Brown, Amstel and Batemans (not Blackburn's Star brewery though) but the one at Feniscowles, with its Doff Cocker, Tacklers Tipple, Knocker Up etc topped the lot.

(It is fair to say that Moorhouses is one of Burnley's few redeeming features!)

I'm confused.

Years ago I heard tremendous tales regarding the quality of Thwaites beer.. hand pumped from a wooden cask... a 'living' beer as opposed to all the modern beers that are carbonated from steel kegs.

When I first visited Blackburn in '99 I even took pictures of the Thwaites factory :lol:

I presume from this thread that Thwaites is now some huge conglomerate selling a few varieties of dodgy foreign 'flashy' beers that make Stella look like a rich and nourishing meal.

Can someone please explain the difference between the Thwaites that I used to know (which some people are referring to here) and the modern Thwaites?!?

PG, probably worth having a look at this for a start

campaign for real ale

Thwaites do still produce some wonderful cask-conditioned beers just like you used to know, but these need a steady turnover as they don't last in the barrel.

For the likes of Ewood where there may be a 2 week gap between pouring the pints (& establishments where the patrons don't have any taste, or the owners don't have the skills or desire to serve decent beer) the solution is "keg" beer which is pasturised, dead, forced from the keg in the cellar by carbon dioxide, usually chilled and, tastes like gnat's bladder discharge.

It can be looked after by a cellarman who needs as much skill as as you or I do to inflate the tyres on your car.

Got to agree with Phillipl that a pint of Thwaites Best Mild is the beer of the Gods. Pity he has to sup that dishwater brewed in Malta

Edited by colin

A third vote for Thwaites Mild. I and my peer group, were raised on the stuff. I remember singing an adaption of the Steppenwolf classic" "Born to drink Mild" on my way home from the Vulcan (RIP) each and every night of the weekend.

They do it in cans so maybe you could order some on t'net Phillip.

Moorhourses Black Cat is a great drink too.

A tip for anyone Germany-bound this summer. If you're in Dusseldorf sample the Alt-bier (I think), which is a dark sweet ale not disimilar to Thwaites' finest.

Edited by Paul McGarry

Mild is unfortunately a dying breed- with most of the big boys having dropped the name- Chestnut mild is now branded Manns Chestnut and the rest of them are starting to follow. (Indeed i think Thwaites Dark mild is now branded Thwaites Dark smooth)

For me you cant beat a good pint of Theakstons Best, theakstons XB or Old Peculiar, or even things like Directors.

It will be keg only at ewood, and give me John smiths smooth over thwaites "wouldnt wash my car in it" smooth anyday :(

But its all about personal taste :rover:

Edited by SD4E

Talking of heresy, SS, you're from the land of 3Bs ! Been on a few brewery tours including, Tuborg, Carlsberg, Guinness, Matthew Brown, Amstel and Batemans (not Blackburn's Star brewery though) but the one at Feniscowles, with its Doff Cocker, Tacklers Tipple, Knocker Up etc topped the lot.

Three B's is a lovely pint. Enjoyed it many a time. :P

Although we are not going to get a decent pint of ale at Ewood, Thwaites do a good job at places like Old Trafford as I find out when I went to the cricket last year.

Lets just hope they get good staff in to serve the thirsty hordes.

Recently had a pint (or two) <_< of this stuff....

IPB Image

in the Boatyard pub, & i`ve got to say it`s one of the best beers i`ve ever tasted.

Unfortunately it`s a seasonal beer, so it only appears in the springtime (or so i was told), but if any of you beer (not lager) lovers get the chance to sample this wonderful beer.......DO IT!! :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.