BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bye Bye Carling

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A third vote for Thwaites Mild. I and my peer group, were raised on the stuff. I remember singing an adaption of the Steppenwolf classic" "Born to drink Mild" on my way home from the Vulcan (RIP) each and every night of the weekend.

They do it in cans so maybe you could order some on t'net Phillip.

Save your money , Philip . Mild and cans don't agree ....to my knowledge at least . Mild is slowly but surely dying out - my heart grieves to see the youth of today automatically drinking lager as soon as they think they've reached supping age .

I can guarantee that the ale served at Ewood will be overpriced and of the "smooth" variety . It's a sad world at times :(

my heart grieves to see the youth of today automatically drinking lager as soon as they think they've reached supping age .

12 or 14? ;)

I agree Phil there aint nothing quite like a decent pint of mild, and i quite like that southern fizzy pop too

Recently had a pint (or two) <_< of this stuff....

IPB Image

in the Boatyard pub, & i`ve got to say it`s one of the best beers i`ve ever tasted.

Unfortunately it`s a seasonal beer, so it only appears in the springtime (or so i was told), but if any of you beer (not lager) lovers get the chance to sample this wonderful beer.......DO IT!! :tu:

Not far from the Boatyard you will find The Royal Oak at Riley Green. They serve a fine pint of Thwaites as well.

Norwegians enjoying the 0.5% tax and crap connectivity in Malta.

Will they have Thwaites Mild at Ewood? The finest drink ever created.

Only reason I knew there was a Malta connection was when out one night in paceville and we got speaking to some guy who asked where we were from, one lad said Accy and he then said 'oh is that near blackburn rovers as we are sponsoring them next season' and I was told to keep my mouth shut by said members on here until it all came official!!!

Not far from the Boatyard you will find The Royal Oak at Riley Green. They serve a fine pint of Thwaites as well.

I have frequented the Royal Oak on a couple of occasions & yes they do serve a most excellent pint. :tu:

bluephil...Mild is slowly but surely dying out

Only two people drink mild regularly in my local...& they are both in their 70s. The manager of the pub says he orders only 1 small 30ltr keg 'every now & again'....just for his 2 regulars. Tiz a sad thing. :(

I have frequented the Royal Oak on a couple of occasions & yes they do serve a most excellent pint. :tu:

Only two people drink mild regularly in my local...& they are both in their 70s. The manager of the pub says he orders only 1 small 30ltr keg 'every now & again'....just for his 2 regulars. Tiz a sad thing. :(

But a very caring landlord.

They too are becoming a thing of the past.

My first ever pint was a lager, aged 14, in the Dirty Duck in Blackburn - an eight year old choir boy could have got served in there.

Graduated to Thwaites mild but like folk have said, it can now be nigh on impossible to get mild, even in most northern pubs. Haven't had any for ages.

If on a sesh tend to stick to bitter, Boddingtons or Tetleys.

Had a few years where I drank nowt but Murphys before finding God's own, ie Guinness, pure nectar. There's nothing better.

I couldn't get the hang of Guinness at first, preferring it topped with a dash of blackcurrant. Was in a bar in the east end of Glasgow (effing rough with a capital R) watching Celtic. Went to the bar and ordered 6 pints of Guinness and a Guinness & Black (for me :) ). The barman gave me a look as if to say you effing puff and from that day on I have drunk it on its own.

:brfc:

Guinness and Black!?! Never heard of that one.

I'm very partial to a Guinness or three. I used to be mad on it in my younger days (i.e. mid 20's). Guiness on tap will vary widely from pub to pub. How often they clean the lines (and how old the keg is) will very much affect your Guinness experience.

I'm back into the black stuff after a bit of a lay-off.

If you are ever down-under, I heartily recommend Coopers Extra Vintage Stout. A very full rich stout which has a strong licorice taste. It makes Guinness feel a bit like Stella!

You will only find it from a bottle shop though, I've never found it on tap.

Also, it's about 7-8% alcohol so it is perfect for a quiet night in ;)

Black Velvet, isn't that Guinness and Champagne or to a poor man Guinness and Cider? Guinness and black was quite popular at one time. It used to leave a purple splodge in the head (and round the mouth!)

Also a few years ago I remember people drinking pints of Golden. Half lager and half bitter. Does anyone still drink that?

mild drinkers are a dying breed literally.

The olden generation 60's plus are the greatest mild drinkers

the age group 40-59 are not really akin to supping the stuff, they are mainly bitter drinkers along with acomplished lager swillers, they are in the main real ale merchants

the age group 30-39 are simply lager swillers with a little bot of bitter in between

anyone up to 30 these days rely on the sickly alcopops and general sh%% they put out in bottles

these days the youngsters would not dare touch a real ale drink not to mention hand pulled bitters/milds

they are the ones who miss out !!

The Royal Oak at Riley Green.

Used to frequent that place many many years ago.

Lovely pub then.

pg mentioned Coopers extra vintage stout, haven't tried that, but their Vintage ale is something to behold. Limited production, $90 a slab and powerful, one 330ml and you're just about over the limit.

I was a bit drunk recently, and ordered a pint of sass, which is a snakebite and black, which is half lager and half cider. The pub refused to serve it to me, saying it was illegal these days.

Imagine their ire when I then ordered half a cider and a half a lager and black in a pint pot.

How I laughed on the way to hospital.

Yeah ozzie i have never had the pleasure of a snakebite and black as it has been banned ever since i started going out. I did win a bet with some random person that it was banned though! :rover:

Never really understood why it was banned but hey :P

I was a bit drunk recently, and ordered a pint of sass, which is a snakebite and black, which is half lager and half cider. The pub refused to serve it to me, saying it was illegal these days.

Imagine their ire when I then ordered half a cider and a half a lager and black in a pint pot.

:lol::lol:

it's the same if you order a vodka n redbull, the bar maid will get you the vodka and open the can of redbull for you but it's down to you to pour it into the glass to mix it in.

i thought it was because people prefered different amounts of redbull in the drink but apparently not so.

Also a few years ago I remember people drinking pints of Golden. Half lager and half bitter. Does anyone still drink that?

I bet it's 20 years since I've seen anyone drink a pint of Golden ; lots of people used to though . Kids probably who had yet to take the brave step toward drinking undiluted bitter :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.