SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The 'dark Horses' For This Tournament

FourLaneBlue

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very surprised that nobody seems to be tipping the Czechs, but then maybe they are a bit too good to count as dark horses. Anyway, I reckon they are going to be a very tough nut to crack.

Many of you are right to pick out the Ivory Coast as they are built like a set of brick sh1thouses and will almost certainly employ their usual battering-ram tactics. In the same group the Dutch will go great guns backed up by fanatical orange support and the Serbs won't be a set of pansies either. That sets Argentina up for another early flight home. Maybe being a bit optimistic but I wouldn't rule it out.

Germany aren't as bad as many think, as long as they can keep their key players fit, but they should get through their group with only minor problems along with Poland. But expect Ecuador to be better than you think. The Germans have a great tactic of going into tournaments using the line "we're not as good as we used to be" but they still reached the final last time. Don't be fooled by the permed mullets and dodgy moustaches, beneath those white shirts beat hearts of plutonium.

England should go through without too many scars but Paraguay will not role over for us. Sweden will be dull but steadfast in their resistance to us and will have at least one player called Lars Gunnarson (it's a legal requirement in Sweden apparently). T&T will collapse and get soundly whipped by all in the group.

Mexico and Portugal will stroll through against a vastly overrated Iran. Portugal will make it to the quarters at least.

Brazil will steamroller all in their group but will fall to Italy in the quarters. Australia will go through with them but falter when Viduka loses interest like the big girl that he is.

Italy will go through with the Czechs after a series of tough group games, as will France and Korea who will scrape through by the skin of their teeth and will not have to rely on corrupt officials this time.

Spain and Ukraine will go through with no problems before the Spanish crap themselves against a good team and go home like the whipped dogs they are. The Saudis will be rubbish again, but the real let-down will be Tunisia who will be unable to cope with the two European teams.

Most annoying TV pundit will be Andy Townsend who will narrowly pip Ally McCoist. Steve Rider will reign supreme as the most annoying sports tw@t ever in the history of TV, but at least we will be spared the inevitable thought of "Gaby Logan is still good looking, if a bit beaky, but she doesn't half wear some crap clothes..."

Most annoying football related advert will be Coca-fecking-Cola... as always.

In the sweepstake at work (which I organised) I got Australia, so that's £10 wasted. Then again, there is a £50 prize for having the worst behaved team and Australis has good old Lucas "Unnecessary Yellow Card" Neill in the team... :tu:

SERBIA to qualify out of GROUP C. (holland out).

SPAIN- to exceed their own expectations. they should win their group have an easy passage to QF (possible 2nd round game against korea/ switzerland) .they could meet brazil in QF though.

looking at fixtures etc... it's geared for a 'big nation' to win it.

i expect ENG, ARG, IT, FRA, GER/POL, POR, BRA, SPA - to make up the QF lineup.

ITALY are my dark horses to win it.

Maybe its just nationailsm talking, but I really think the USA has a chance to take the 2nd spot in our group, only to get soundly thrashed by evental winners Brasil.

I fell we match up well against an older, slower Czech team, and I'm glad that's the first match, since I don't want to face the Czechs once/if they get on a bit of a roll, with their skill, they are a dangerous team

I like the fact that Italy's "hard man" in the midfield, Gattuso, will be out for those first two matches. I really think Itlay's injuries will severly limit their "flowing" style, and in this group, not playing at your best can real hurt.

And I don't think we should have much trouble with Ghana, they are a good side, but they are midfield laden, with little danger at the front and little stability in the back.

By the way, the keepers in this group will make this a very low scoring group, imho, look for no team to score more than 2 in any match, and no more than 5 in the 3 matches combined.

I like the fact that Italy's "hard man" in the midfield, Gattuso, will be out for those first two matches. I really think Itlay's injuries will severly limit their "flowing" style, and in this group, not playing at your best can real hurt.

Gattuso wouldn't be guaranteed a place in the starting eleven anyway, with Italy playing the 4-3-1-2 (Totti in the hole behind Toni and Gilardino) and de Rossi taking place alongside Pirlo and Camoranesi. With Nesta and Cannavaro behind them, de Rossi's tenacious type, Pirlo's deep role and Camoranesi's running should suffice imo. Gattuso has extreme qualities, but de Rossi is already a more complete player, and is already showing signs of becoming Italy's next midfield general.

As for the Czechs, they have an ageing squad, but they also have enough quality to beat anyone. Cech, Ujfalusi, Rosicky, Nedved and even that brat Baros are quality players. Looking forward to seeing Serbia & Montenegro tomorrow, my dark horse :)

Edited by herbergeehh

If my psychiatrist hadn't given me the electro-shock treatment I would bet **zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz** ouch!! good money on Ghana going the distance. They looked really good against the Czech Republic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.