BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Help Required

I ditched the cruddy four-plug extension lead and have put the computer on the dining room table, instead of on a desk in the bedroom.

Strangely enough this seems to have solved the problem.....

............thousands of highly paid support techies out of work at a stroke, I shall try that next time I'm in trouble. :D

:lol::lol:

I didn't know how old the computer was
no probs mode, i'm not entirely sure if he said it was 18months old or not...I think he did.

thousands of highly paid support techies out of work at a stroke, I shall try that next time I'm in trouble

lollolololol pity is the work is out there in plentyful supply. I have been telling my son for years build your own business - work for yourself son. Its just recently he is contemplating doing just that by taking a course at college. He too knows a lot about comps. Mine is top whack he built it and won't allow anyone else near it...ahhahahahahahhaahaaa

Good luck ihateburnley - just don't spill coffee all over it like I did... :lol: computer had to be confiscated by insurers!

Right guys I'm having problems again. For some unknown reason it has started crashing again randomly and this time I'm getting blue screens more often than not!

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Tech Info:

***STOP: 0x000000D1(0xF9FFFEDD,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF9FFFEDD)

***ParVdm.SYS - Address F9FFFEDD base at F9FFE000, DateStamp 3b7d836d

***ParVdm.SYS - Address F9FFFEDD base at F9FFE000, DateStamp 3b7d836d

Does this mean anything to anyone? Thanks people.

Some questionsa:

OS XP, Win 98 etc:

Tell us something about the computer you have, like graphic cards, memory, drivers etc.

I have your error codes so will post at mine again.

From my forum in reply to your problem earlier:

With the error code we would get a step further in solving your problem.

Now, it can be anything: a bug in the prog, faulty driver etc etc

Try to write down the error code exactly and post it.

Patience, we'll get to the cause. One guy is in Canada and he has had a comp business he will at least have some idea when he sees the code, the other guy is in Belgium, he knows stuff too.

:)

Some questionsa:

OS XP, Win 98 etc:

Tell us something about the computer you have, like graphic cards, memory, drivers etc.

I have your error codes so will post at mine again.

From my forum in reply to your problem earlier:

Patience, we'll get to the cause. One guy is in Canada and he has had a comp business he will at least have some idea when he sees the code, the other guy is in Belgium, he knows stuff too.

Windows XP.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.25 GHz,

256 MB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (I think that's my graphics card I'm not sure)

As far as I can remember, the code is exactly as I said before. My computer seems to have temporarily stopped resetting itself/blue screening for now so sod's law I can't actually get hold of the code again for you. Is this enough information for you?

I've taken the side panel off the tower as somebody suggested, which has coincided with (or solved the problem :o ) my computer running fine.

I am still going to wait on my guys for hopefully a more permanant solution,

Pete, its not good to run machine with no side panel on it. Lots of nasty things come from computers reason why you get so much c$it from them...lmaooooooooo

Run as is for now as my guys are globally seperated from us, then we'll see what happens next. I have already posted your codes.

Joe should be around when I go to bed. I am in the U.K so five hours behind in Canada but. My son just rang and the same idea crossed my mind, sounds like the comp is over heating then it switches off. What I want to know now is:

When you take the side off does it disconnect from the fan and neons?

Is it an AMD prcessor?

Is it a p4 fan if so you should have a massive fan like AMD fan. Try buying the right fans then put back the side and see how it runs.

Yes, when I take the side panel off the fan clipped out of its connector. I think it's got two fans by the look of things. There's one on the side panel (which obviously isn't working when side panel is off) and then one internal one which works. And yeah its an AMD processor.

What's a P4 fan?

Probably a fan for smaller comps,

Maybe put in yours when you bought it. mass produced for cheapness maybe. Buy a fan for AMD it may just solve your proble Pete. I have five fans in mine to keep it cool. I also have a perspex side so I know when the fans stop working.

When you're saying P4 fan, do you mean the heatsink fan that sits on top of the processor?

It's been a while since I've last fitted one but surely a P4 heatsink would even fit a AMD processor? I'm pretty sure they had different hooks to fit it to the motherboard, although the motherboard probably supports both just not sure if the actual chip would sit right.

I don't reckon it's a heat problem. This is what Microsoft say about your error:-

"Stop message 0x000000D1 Descriptive text: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Usual cause: An attempt was made to touch pageable memory at a process internal request level (IRQL) that was too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses. Kernel-mode drivers are forbidden to access pageable memory at a high IRQL."

The funny thing is that the driver that you mention in your error report is actually a Microsoft signed driver! It may have become corrupt at some time.

Have you had your computer rebuilt recently? Might be worth it in the first instance.

Here we go, hope this helps some more,

Here is what microsoft says about it.

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message

This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.

IRQL at time of reference.

Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).

Address that referenced memory.

Resolving the Problem

For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist"-link later in this message.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources. Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

Updated and compatible drivers are very important when running XP. Check your hardware with the HCL www.microsoft.com/hcl If you hardware is not on the list it does not mean it won't work it just means it hasn't been tested by Microsoft and they won't Guarantee it to be compatible. If it not on the list check the manufacturer's website for an up to date XP driver, if they don't have one you may be out of luck. This goes for motherboards and the bios too.

Forgive me, but I really do not understand any of that! To be honest, the heating problem sounds more promising that any other. When it has crashed recently, the temperature display on the front has been a lot higher than what it was when it was running smoothly.

I said on the first page that I didn't think it was an overheating problem (it would have been crashing more than just primarily in FM) and after you posted the BSOD code if definately looks more like an XP problem.

The description from Microsoft for the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL states that there is probably a device driver that has caused the crash. This means that something has been installed that isn't 100% compatible with XP and thus causing problems. The strange thing with your error, as I mentioned earlier is that the stop error states that it's parvdm.sys that has errored. This is actually a Microsoft XP driver and therefore should be ok. It might be that something else has affected it or it has been infected by a virus.

Probably the easiest way to recover from this now is to re-install the computer from scratch. Have you had a rebuild on one of your many trips to the computer shop?

Or live with the crashes!

Edited by Biddy

I said on the first page that I didn't think it was an overheating problem (it would have been crashing more than just primarily in FM) and after you posted the BSOD code if definately looks more like an XP problem.

The description from Microsoft for the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL states that there is probably a device driver that has caused the crash. This means that something has been installed that isn't 100% compatible with XP and thus causing problems. The strange thing with your error, as I mentioned earlier is that the stop error states that it's parvdm.sys that has errored. This is actually a Microsoft XP driver and therefore should be ok. It might be that something else has affected it or it has been infected by a virus.

Probably the easiest way to recover from this now is to re-install the computer from scratch. Have you had a rebuild on one of your many trips to the computer shop?

Or live with the crashes!

Thanks for the translation Biddy! No I haven't had a rebuild.

I don't have any Windows software with which to re-install the computer from scratch. Otherwise I would.

It is quite possible the a corrupt driver is making the computer do more work and hence generating more heat. The first time I ever saw a blue screen on XP was when my laptop overheated. It wouldn't work for ages so I got a windows xp cd and that resurrected it.

Reinstalling windows should also improve general running of your computer too, but make sure you back up all your files. I always forget something... :(

XP should then install drivers automatically tp get the computer running, and you can install any drivers you have to get it up to speed.

If the problem comes back straight away, you then know it is hardware.

Check your RAM - there are several tutorials you can find on the internet to help you with this. Don't worry - it looks daunting but it is reasonably easy. 256 isn't a lot either, i recommend upgrading. Visit crucial and use thier system scanner to find out which ram you need (and use the code 'PRINTPROMO' to get 5% off the price).

I am confident this is heat related as a change in environment resulted in a change in habit, and footy manager games are nutorious for putting strain on the old processor, generating enough heat to cook a full english.

Do you have any friends with a copy of windows xp?

Alternatively, would you know if backup programs have been put on a partition of your hard drive?

A quick note too - before reinstalling windows, it is wise to back up the windows activation files. Tutorials for this are also available across the net.

Edited by ffberryb77

OK, well I've had a different error code on a blue screen this morning.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000D1(0xF9FFFEDD, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF9FFFEDD)

This time the ParVdm.Sys part was missing, and there was no mention whatsoever of any datestamp or bases or other jargon.

Hmmm. I'm getting very frustrated, and starting to accept the fact that I may just have to skint myself further and go and get a new computer altogether.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever get sorted dude?

I did yeah, thanks mate.

I ended up taking to yet another computer shop but this time they rang me up within a couple of hours and told me that I had a dodgy CPU or something. Anyway, they wiped the computer clean but touch wood it has been sorted for about three weeks now.

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.