BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] More Foot To Mouth

Lucas on playing central defence for Australia in the LET today...

"I'm surrounded by fantastic players - no disrespect to Blackburn - so I've got five or six options every time I play the ball.

What the flerk, does that mean? Why was it even necessary to make that little aside in that comment? Did that help his explanation along?

I may be overreacting but it just seems like everytime he opens his mouth these days, something negative about Blackburn comes out. I think he's a useful player, but growing a little tired of him. Seems the guy bought from Millwall, gave a chance to, and made a better player, is suddenly too big for lil' ole Blackburn. Don't see how he's staying. Unless of course he breaks his leg in the WC and then wants to use his Blackburn contract to "fall back on."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't worry about it, it was probably a well meaning comment. After all a full strength Rovers team would take on a full strength Australian team with no problems (with or without him and Emerton). He knows that so was probably just being diplomatic.

I'm not saying THEY don't have good players, it just seems that this is the 3rd or 4th time he's made some remark that suggests we are not big enough for Lucas Neill. I've gone from rooting for Australia to do well, to hoping he gets torn to shreds in the tourney...maybe then he'll have to walk back with his tail between his legs to play in Europe for the 6th best club in England. Poor boy.

Well to be fair at Rovers the only 'skillful' players we have are Bellamy, Tugay and, to a lesser extent (lots of skill, not much product...) Bentley. But the likes of Savage, Reid, Pedersen, Kuqi, Gray, Neill himself are all effectve. I reckon we could match Australia man for man. We have a better defence, a better keeper, and, in Bellamy, the best player who would be on the pitch.

I mean EMerton can't even get in our side for Christsakes!

How would you feel if you were Tony Vidmar:

"Obviously Viddie (Tony Vidmar) not being here has taken a tiny edge off the defensive competition, but, as for everyone, it's still very intense."

I think Lucas is a good footballer, but lacks a bit in the "think before you speak" department

Lucas on playing central defence for Australia in the LET today...

"I'm surrounded by fantastic players - no disrespect to Blackburn - so I've got five or six options every time I play the ball.

What the flerk, does that mean? Why was it even necessary to make that little aside in that comment? Did that help his explanation along?

do you think you might be reading a little bit too much into it? if he hadn't said "no disrespect to blackburn" you'd still be up in arms.

it just seems that this is the 3rd or 4th time he's made some remark that suggests we are not big enough for Lucas Neill.

"3rd or 4th time" Got any reference to the first, second, or third examples?

Or are we all just having a hissy-fit?

Hissy fit, over-reaction, call it what you will, the comments of Lucas were ill-advised to say the least.

I'm friends with a couple of Millwall fans and their opinion of Lucas is that he's a bit of a legend in his own mind and believes he should be playing for AC Milan never mind Blackburn Rovers.

It's only my opinion but I'd be very surprised if he starts next season at Ewood.

We've discussed this before (in fact I predicted that he'd be away this summer way back in Jan) and imo we should get his replacement sorted out now! That'll make his and his agents arse twitch through the next few weeks and at the same time send out a strong message to all and sundry that no one is irreplaceable no matter who they are.

In fact although he has had a good season and I rate him I do want him sold this summer. Otherwise he will pussyfoot around next season knowing that he will walk for free to the highest bidder in 12 months time. If he has a decent WC and attracts lots of attention then all the better for us.

Good shout theno.

To me it's quite obvious that he's angling for a move away after the world cup. The fact that he's put contract talks 'on hold' despite the club trying to tie him down for the last 6 months sets the alarm bells ringing big time.

On a slightly related theme, I played golf at Turton golf club the other week and the course surrounds his house. What a pad that is.

I wouldn't worry about it, it was probably a well meaning comment. After all a full strength Rovers team would take on a full strength Australian team with no problems (with or without him and Emerton). He knows that so was probably just being diplomatic.

I doubt Lucas could be diplomatic if he tried, he seems to be believing the hype and thinking he is too good for the club. Unfortnately, as Souness or Hughes never really bothered getting any competition for his place Neill has had almost a guaranteed spot in the team for over the last four years.

No player is bigger than the club, if Lucas is thinking that he is (and this isn't his first little needless put-down of Blackburn or Rovers) then good riddance. Hopefully he'll see how good he has it at Ewood though and stay.

It's be funny if really did believe that rubbish about AC Milan wanting him though! :lol:

I wouldn't worry about it, it was probably a well meaning comment.

Like all the other one's that he seems to be making week in week out. I've backed Lucas more than most on this messageboard but its getting to the stage where we cannot keep coming up with excuses for him. He blatantly wants to move unless we pay him some ridiculous wage, so I say lets get rid of the playboy after he hopefuly has a great world cup. Very good player, but a bit of a "speak before you think" person as somebody else said who thinks that he's way above the rest of the sqaud.

I'm friends with a couple of Millwall fans and their opinion of Lucas is that he's a bit of a legend in his own mind and believes he should be playing for AC Milan never mind Blackburn Rovers.

He's best mates with Harry Kewell...enough said!!!

What I found more interesting in the article was that he seemingly now views centre half as his best position,

which I would entirely agree with.

He obviously wants to try and engineer a move away after the World Cup and I'd be fairly happy if we got a big fee for him.

However his procastination is throwing our plans into confusion and not giving us much time to find a replacement and it would be slightly irritating for us if he emerged as an outstanding centre half after years of being a poor right back for us!.

He is making comments on how well he is playing at central defence with Australia compared to how he plays there with Rovers

He got tounge tied FFS

He should have said "I think playing in the style that the manager Guus Hiddink adopts means I can play a versatile role like central defender and also it opens up options for me to play out to available players. We play a different style for Rovers which doesn't suit me as well in the middle. No offence to Blackburn, but in central defence, I am better playing like Australia do."

Hence his reason for not playing as well for Rovers in that position as he currently is playing with Australia.

Lucas on playing central defence for Australia in the LET today..." Seems the guy bought from Millwall, gave a chance to, and made a better player, is suddenly too big for lil' ole Blackburn.

In all honesty patronising remarks from one of our fans is more offensive to me than any of Neill's comments.

One of my best mates is a sports writer for Fox Sports and used to work radio on a station that Lucas used to be a regular guest for weekly on phone and when he visited Australia in the studio.

My mate is a mad Liverpool supporter and on one of these occasions OFF AIR and just the two of them talking asked Lucas when is he coming to Liverpool. Lucas said something along the lines to him then that he loves playing for Rovers and that he couldn't ever see himself leaving unless it was to finish his career back in Australia.

Edited by neekoy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.