BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ian Wright- Get This Man Off Our Tv Screens

I actually liked Ian Wright being part of the BBC punditry, I just find the guy a bit querky and a bit of a laugh. Some of his comments in the last world cup were ace. When you have a competition showing that many games, it's ncie to have something a bit more light hearted.

That said, I find it somewhat contradicting that Wright complains that he has been made a jester by the BBC (although he seems to do this very much on his own accord) and then complains that there is nobody for kids to relate to. He seems to be advocating somebody like himself, yet criticizes the BBC for putting him in that role...

As for MOTD, you need the analysis. With Sky Sports and Setanta dominating live football and the highlights programmes, MOTD isn't really anything more than a glorified recap of the goals. They might as well go for having the best pundits and performing some good analysis because, more often than not, controversy over a goal becomes more important than the highlights themselves.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, I find it somewhat contradicting that Wright complains that he has been made a jester by the BBC (although he seems to do this very much on his own accord) and then complains that there is nobody for kids to relate to. He seems to be advocating somebody like himself, yet criticizes the BBC for putting him in that role...

Good point. I vaguely sensed something illogical about Wright's published comments and you've put the nail on the head. (Although, no doubt, there were other explanatory comments which might've made the whole thing make a bit more sense).

I, like you, am not that objecting of Wright on Motd. He can be quite amusing (even if unintentionally) and besides, at the end of the day (comes night), football is only a game.

Edited by rover6

• 2 months later...

Wright's son in court over theft....

BradleyWrightPhillips_599510.jpg

Bradley Wright-Phillips - the biological son of Ian Wright and the half-brother of Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips - appeared at Portsmouth Magistrates' Court today, charged with a non-dwelling burglary at a nightclub in Southsea.

The court heard that cash totalling £145, two mobile phones, a driving licence, two bank cards and other personal items were allegedly stolen. Wright-Phillips's Southampton team-mate Nathan Dyer also appeared in court.

The investigation by Hampshire police was launched after the pair were allegedly filmed on CCTV entering the staff room at the nightclub, in the image below.

97E13D36-92FC-248A-AA350464C445C0A7.jpg

I believe the Ian Wright column in the Sun today is one of the most loathsome things I have ever read.

Indeed it was a repugnant article from Ian Wright, Nicko. It was a complete distortion of the facts from Wright. The Premier League bent over backwards to accommodate Paul Ince as a manager without his coaching badges, but Wright had to make a desperate attempt to claim that it was disgraceful and racist that Ince needs a UEFA Pro Licence within two years of his contract as Rovers manager.

The Premier League and the League Managers Association gave their full backing to Ince as Rovers manager. I suspect they would have been terrified to do otherwise. It was a revolting article from Wright. Why doesn't he sort out the apparent mess in his own family, with his son in court, rather than poking his nose into Blackburn's business and making desperate smear attempts?

On a different note, relating to a BBC commentator rather than a disgraced pundit, Jonathan Pearce has so far - at the time of this post - raised £8,331 out of a target of £13,000 for funding research into Mitochondrial Disease which sadly took the life of his 8 month old niece Lily.

I'm sure that any donation, even if it's just two or three quid, would be of help. A link to Pearce's fundraising page is here

not to sound too sinical and cold! but the irritating halfwit (how the hell did he get to the bbc he was awful on channel 5) pearce could i'd imagine given bbc salary's pay 13k himself without the need to trumpet his charitable side to anyone that'll listen. on reflection i'm very sinical!

not to sound too sinical and cold! but the irritating halfwit (how the hell did he get to the bbc he was awful on channel 5) pearce could i'd imagine given bbc salary's pay 13k himself without the need to trumpet his charitable side to anyone that'll listen. on reflection i'm very sinical!

cynical. ;)

I doubt it JC4LAB. Wright seems to like being in the media and spouting rubbish.

And I agree with Mrs. Lovejoy, he should shove off and sort out his son, and stop s__t stirring about issues that are not there. He's always had a chip on his shoulder about race hasn't he? I guess he's one of those who didn't really understand that famous quote from Martin Luther King, and only thought it worked one way.

Edited by Billy Castell

• 4 weeks later...

'you scored the greatest goal EVER against Manchester'

Looked like Birmingham City to me but the details arent important!

'He comes direct from the Norfolk club, in the north east of England'

Soccer will make it big in the US of A! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mattyblue

Ah, one of my local sports anchors...

You may think that he is just another stupid American who knows nothing about football, but frankly he knows just as little about American sports. He is honestly hard to watch.

On the other hand, Huckerby scored a goal and the Earthquakes beat the Galaxy, so I am happy about at least one thing this weekend.

Edited by awhom111

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.