BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brazil 2 Australia 0

Grabbi Graeme

I thought Emerton was typical Emerton tbh. He did nothing effective when attacking.

But he looked very good as a defender. Maybe we've found a new right back!

Actually, what made his defending look so good was his great work rate, not his Cannavaro'ish one-on-one tackles. He ran all day and helped out his fullback, it's not exactly rocket science - just good o2 ("o2 levels my arse, his shitness level is off the charts!!" :lol: ) levels combined with decent pace and work rate!

In other words, like a wingback with a lot of defensive responsibility. That being said, I still think we should keep Emerton unless we can get two millions or so for him. (or enough to allow Hughes to bring in a good replacement)

well i broke my world cup duck going to this match and what a game it was. it would have maybe been the easy route for australia to put 10 men behind the ball and try to grind something out, but that's just not their style at all. i like the way that they are willing to take it to anyone, it makes a refreshing change from all these "brave" teams who try to grind out draws against the bigger names. also i would have been very annoyed at a bore draw, having paid a fair whack for the trip. it was worth every penny tho, that's for sure

looked like the ref had a shocker, but it's always hard to tell without the advantage of a zillion tv replays. brett and lucas were awesome tho, we know lucas has that in him when he wants to play, but brett? i couldn't believe that the guy who runs around like a headless chicken against utter dross opposition was matching ronaldinho - i'd joked that this could be the head to head of the tournament, but there it was.

quality shone through in the end tho; australia kept missing the free man in attack because they weren't skillful or assured enough, brazil kept missing the free man/men because each and every one of them would rather dance the ball into the box and shoot than put together a string of passes. aus should get thru to the next round, getting any further will depend on who they play against. brazil are not world beaters. individually very skillful, but as a team they lack the work ethic and discipline that they need to have in order to give their flair players license to do what they do best.

I think this game shows just how hard Brazil are going to be to beat. They weren't particularly impressive and were playing a good team and yet still won fairly confortably. The thing that would worry me most about England playing them is that they hardly ever lose the ball and when the likes of Beckham and Lampard are constantly going for the glory pass they keep giving it away and we might struggle to get in the game. You have to keep the ball in these games or you are stuffed.

They weren't particularly impressive and were playing a good team and yet still won fairly confortably.

i wouldn't go that far - against a team with a bit more luck/class they will suffer. australia showed how you can push brazil every inch of the way by being very disciplined. the only difference in it for 90 minutes was that one of brazil's shots went in, the game only opened up for them when australia went to 3-4-3 which left massive gaps for brazil to counterattack.

All im going to say about the ref is the only favour he gave us was missing grella's only foul in the first half, could have easily given him yellow and missed the croatia game. Harry missing the open goal, albeit a dida diving at he's feet and tripping him as he shot.

Bresciano started on the bench so we could have a back 3 instead of a back 2

All im going to say about the ref is the only favour he gave us was missing grella's only foul in the first half, could have easily given him yellow and missed the croatia game. Harry missing the open goal, albeit a dida diving at he's feet and tripping him as he shot.

Bresciano started on the bench so we could have a back 3 instead of a back 2

PR, we did have a back three

Neill, Moore and Popovich

• 4 weeks later...

Has SR arrived back in Oz yet?

I'm not sure!! I've sent him a text to both his aussie phone and german phone but he hasn't replied.

I hope he isn't still sulking after the Italy game :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.