BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England 2 Sweden 2

Cheshireblue

Im really against this stupid 4-5-1 formation, we cant play it!!

We tried it against Northen Ireland and we all know what happened there, we played it against Wales and we were crap against them too!

We need two proper wingers to play that and David Beckham who will never ever be dropped, is no winger!

Also, how does Sven expect a half fit Rooney to play up front on his own, you have to be super fot to play that role, it too much for him!!

FFS! We're playing Ecuador, we can easily beat them playing 442.

Im sure this Sven bloke is a fraud.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sven's tactical contortions continue.

For the Ecuador game he is planning to play Carrick in the holding midfield role, drop Carragher and switch Hargreaves to right back in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Rooney as the lone striker.

You couldn't make it up folks.

I can understand Sven's reasoning. It looks like both Neville and Ferdinand will be missing on Sunday so he's trying to cover for those two.

The only attacking right-back we have is Neville. We've missed him in the last couple of games, and one of the reasons Beckham didn't play well against Sweden was that he didn't have Neville to link up with down the right. Carragher's a good defender but limited in the opposition's half. Sven obviously feels that Hargreaves will be better going forward and will be capable of linking with Beckham better. Not sure he will be but I guess it's worth a try. Would have been nice if he'd tried it earlier though.

Ferdinand is our main distributor of the ball from the back - none of the other centre-halves are as comfortable in possession as he is. By putting Carrick in the "holding role" Sven'll be asking his defence to play short passes to Carrick who'll then distribute the ball to the rest of the team (like Tugay does for us). He'll also allow both Gerrard and Lampard to get forward and do what they do best.

Not sure Rooney can play the lone striker role to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me if he can. He's one of the best players in the world. I guess we'll find out on Sunday.

I can understand Sven's reasoning. It looks like both Neville and Ferdinand will be missing on Sunday so he's trying to cover for those two.

The only attacking right-back we have is Neville. We've missed him in the last couple of games, and one of the reasons Beckham didn't play well against Sweden was that he didn't have Neville to link up with down the right. Carragher's a good defender but limited in the opposition's half. Sven obviously feels that Hargreaves will be better going forward and will be capable of linking with Beckham better. Not sure he will be but I guess it's worth a try. Would have been nice if he'd tried it earlier though.

Ferdinand is our main distributor of the ball from the back - none of the other centre-halves are as comfortable in possession as he is. By putting Carrick in the "holding role" Sven'll be asking his defence to play short passes to Carrick who'll then distribute the ball to the rest of the team (like Tugay does for us). He'll also allow both Gerrard and Lampard to get forward and do what they do best.

Not sure Rooney can play the lone striker role to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me if he can. He's one of the best players in the world. I guess we'll find out on Sunday.

I think jim was trying to point out that we're in the last 16 of the World Cup and we're still experimenting. Sven plainly doesn't have a clue what his best line up/formation is and has had two years to sort it out.

From Here

The question is: What will Sven do next?

Instead i'll answer, What I would do next

But I think England's problem lies at right-back. However much I (and most you) utterly hate Gary Neville, he is without doubt the best right-back in the country and the team looks unbalanced without him. But due to his injury Sven has dafted in Carragher at right-back. Don't get me wrong Carragher is a top player (world-class) in his postion. But his postion is centre-back, not right-back. He can play there but he offers little or no attacking threat from the postion what so ever. In effect he's also causing the isolation of Beckham, probably the one player who needs to be in the game most.

So here's my quite wacky solution to the problem. England should play Steven Gerrard at right-back. You might be thininkg what the heck (or sometihng along those lines). But let me explain. Playing Gerrard at right-back would allow him arguably to get foward more than he does when he's in a centre-midfield role and he has to stay back as the 'holding midfielder'. So my plan almost brazilian like is to have Ashley Cole & Gerrard running up and down the wings and attacking as much as possible. They both have the stanmia and pace to do that job and could well give England the extra edge they've been messing.

So this is how my idea would look when defending and attacking:

Attacking

------------------------- Robinson -------------------------

-------------------- Rio --------- Terry --------------------

----------------------- Hargreaves -------------------------

-- Gerrard -------------- Becks --------------- A.Cole ----

------------ Lampard ------------ J.Cole -------------------

------------------------ Rooney -----------------------------

---------------------------- Crouch -------------------------

Defending

------------------------- Robinson ---------------------------

--- Gerrard--------- Rio --------- Terry --------A.Cole-----

------------------------ Hargreaves --------------------------

----Becks ----- Lampard ---------- Rooney------- J..Cole --

---------------------------- Crouch ---------------------------

But will this happen. I very much doubt it.

My idea is much better. Just switch Rio with Carragher and replace Hargeaves with Carrick if you prefer. And there you have it.

You know it makes sense Sven!

I think jim was trying to point out that we're in the last 16 of the World Cup and we're still experimenting. Sven plainly doesn't have a clue what his best line up/formation is and has had two years to sort it out.

But he's only "experimenting" because three of his first choice players are injured. However, I'd agree that he could have played 4-1-4-1 more often than he has.

But he's only "experimenting" because three of his first choice players are injured. However, I'd agree that he could have played 4-1-4-1 more often than he has.

I don't take much notice of England friendlies but hasn't Sven always slavishly adopted Mike Basset's "We're playing 4-4- ******* 2" line?

And for now anyway we still have Rooney and Crouch available. Bit late to be changing it.

Far from having a master plan, Sven seems to be desperately scratching around for something that actually works.

Sven's tactical contortions continue.

For the Ecuador game he is planning to play Carrick in the holding midfield role, drop Carragher and switch Hargreaves to right back in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Rooney as the lone striker.

You couldn't make it up folks.

I think this is is going to work and we will put inby far our best performance of the tournament so far. It looks balanced and skillful with threat all over the pitch. The inclusion of Carrick will enourmously improve our ability to retain the ball.

--------------------Rooney---------------------

------J Cole----------------------Gerrard-----

------------Lampard----Beckham-----------

-------------------Carrick--------------------

-----------------------------------------------

----A Cole--Ferdinand-Terry-Hargreaves-

-----------------------------------------------

--------------------Robinson-----------------

I have a really good feeling about this. If Lampard, Gerrard and J Cole as they can support Rooney well then this could is the change that transforms the team. With Carrick sitting in the full backs and the central midfielders are goingto have much more opportunity to get forward.

It is the first time Sven has made a real tactical gamble and I applaud it!

Come on England!

I don't take much notice of England friendlies but hasn't Sven always slavishly adopted Mike Basset's "We're playing 4-4- ******* 2" line?

And for now anyway we still have Rooney and Crouch available. Bit late to be changing it.

Far from having a master plan, Sven seems to be desperately scratching around for something that actually works.

I'm sure Crouch was only originally selected in the squad to be an impact sub. If we need a goal with 20 minutes left he's a good player to bring on as most teams won't have a clue how to handle him and he'll cause chaos in the opposition's box (like he did against Argentina in the friendly a while ago).

Owen's injury has kinda buggered that plan up a bit sadly, but if we line up as Jim says and it goes well I'd expect Crouch's role to revert back to that of an impact sub.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.