BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reidy!

Im sorry but i just think that maybe this goes to show that our main priority for last summer should have been signing a new central midfielder.

I dont know if waiting till the next transfer window is because a) Hughes is waiting for more money from the board or bank, b ) Hughes has somebody in mind and is waiting for there contract to run low or become available at a lower price, c) he is waiting to see how a certain player develops, or d) he doesnt think we need another central midfielder and we can make do with what we got at the moment.

I just think we wouldnt be worrying about further injuries if we had even brought a midfielder in on loan before the end of the season.

The only choices we have now if either Savage or Tugay get injured is. We put Emerton back on the right of midfield with Bentley in center (which has prooven not to work. We put a youngster in midfield who is untried (is there anybody who is showing signs of true first team talent in the youth ranks/reserves??). We can play Gally on the right with Bentley in the center (which again i dont think is a solid answer. Or even change our formation with 3 in midfield and 3 upfront (simple answer to that one is I DONT THINK SO).

I think we should have at least signed someone last summer in case this sort of thing happens...

Anyway Reidy get well soon, and for gods sakes dont do any DIY in the next 4 months!! :lol:

Edited by Rover The Moon

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry but i just think that maybe this goes to show that our main priority for last summer should have been signing a new central midfielder.

I dont know if waiting till the next transfer window is because a) Hughes is waiting for more money from the board or bank, b ) Hughes has somebody in mind and is waiting for there contract to run low or become available at a lower price, c) he is waiting to see how a certain player develops, or d) he doesnt think we need another central midfielder and we can make do with what we got at the moment.

I just think we wouldnt be worrying about further injuries if we had even brought a midfielder in on loan before the end of the season.

The only choices we have now if either Savage or Tugay get injured is. We put Emerton back on the right of midfield with Bentley in center (which has prooven not to work. We put a youngster in midfield who is untried (is there anybody who is showing signs of true first team talent in the youth ranks/reserves??). We can play Gally on the right with Bentley in the center (which again i dont think is a solid answer. Or even change our formation with 3 in midfield and 3 upfront (simple answer to that one is I DONT THINK SO).

I think we should have at least signed someone last summer in case this sort of thing happens...

Anyway Reidy get well soon, and for gods sakes dont do any DIY in the next 4 months!! :lol:

And no rumpy pumpy either! ;)

I think an acceptable, if not ideal, option would be to play:

Nonda            Roberts

McCarthy

Bentley        Savage
                                     Mokoena

Niell   Ooijer     Zurab  Emerton

Freidel

The middle three would look to keep a stable patform in the middle, particularly Axe who would play quite deep, while the Aussies are encouraged to get forward with even more ambition than usual to provide width on the overlap. McCarthy seems to have all the attributes to play a playmaking role behind the front two.

As said it's not ideal, but it is a possiblity which might allow us to keep our attacking style with Moko in the team.

We really need a new midfielder, and we must have about four million burning a hole in Sparky pocket for one (or maybe a CM and a left back).

Edited by joey_big_nose

Thought national teams had insurance to cover the players' wages if they are injured playing for their country. Isn't that why Newcastle are miffed, because they pay Owen about £100 thousand a week and the FA insurance only covers wages up to £55 thousand?

Ok now this worries me...We were hoping that Reid could come back soon and spell Tugay as Toogs seemed to have been a bit more off than usual, and now Reid's gone for longer than Nelsen! So who do we have left who can run the mid-field alongside Savage? Mokoena and ____? Peter, Gallagher and Derbyshire are out-and-out wingers/strikers (at least from what us fans have seen), and if we moved Bentley inside, who'd take over the right side? Gallagher or Peter? and if we move Bentley inside, move Emerton up to right wing, who would take over at right back or left back if Lucas moved back to RB? I'd sure hate to see the great partnership of Emerton and Bentley disrupted. If things really get dicey will we see Rostyn Griffiths or Hodge in the Senior side?

Hughesy sure has his work cut out for him in the next few days when we have a large amount of games in a short amount of time....

Edited by Hypo-Luxa

After Bellamy leaving, getting strikers on board was always going to be the priority, not central midfield. However, I'd be astounded if it wasn't an area Hughes looked at, maybe he just didn't find anyone better than what we have already. I think you underestimate Bentley as a central player, he has played well there (Spurs springs to mind), he could do a decent job filling in for Tugay. I wouldn't be keen on disrupting him at this point in time though.

I think an acceptable, if not ideal, option would be to play

Nonda            Roberts

McCarthy

Bentley        Savage
                                     Mokoena

Niell   Ooijer     Zurab  Emerton

Freidel

If you include Pedersen or Peter instead of a third striker in that team we could just play a normal and balanced 4-4-2...no need for drastic action just yet.

Edited by LeChuck

If you include Pedersen or Peter instead of a third striker in that team we could just play a normal and balanced 4-4-2...no need for drastic action just yet.

I realise that but my point was to try and retian an attacking impetus with the team which could well be difficult with a midfield of MGP-Savage-Moko-Bentley and two up front.

Our creativity comes from the wide areas and McCarthy, I'm not sure Tugay has been responsible for many goals this year. We'd lose a little bit replacing him with Mokoena of course, but as long as he just fed the more creative players we could still be an attacking side.

Would be nice to have a good young central attacking minded midfielder to take the premier league by storm though wouldnt it...

Just think having Tugay and Savage playing central midfield could provide some problems.

I'd also like to add (hesitantly) that we shouldnt be relying to heavily on 2 ageing midfielders (yes there quality) but if one of them gets injured, which is likely considering how many games there playing, there age, and how physical they are as players, we might find ourselves in a sticky pickle...

Edited by Rover The Moon

I feel a little vindicated after today's substitutions. The formation I outlined was played in the last twenty minutes or so and we looked decent. I doubt we will start with it in the premiership as it leves us exposed down the flanks, but it is nice to know it works in case wek get a few injuries/suspensions.

We didnt play that position exactly today though? Mokeona was right inbetween Savage and Tugay with Benni just infront.

We didnt play a diamond type formation, not that i saw anyway...?

Well, Moko was anchoring the midfield three- if not neccesarily playing particualrly deep he certainly wasn't getting forward.

Oh, not that it matters, but I have revised my opinion. I quite fancy seeing us play three up front on Sunday. Bolton do it and MGP has been so shocking of late that it hardly seems a loss to drop him.

We didnt play that position exactly today though? Mokeona was right inbetween Savage and Tugay with Benni just infront.

We didnt play a diamond type formation, not that i saw anyway...?

Did Mokeona not replace Savage ?

Even though we scored after changing to this formation - I actually thought our pattern of play deteriotated - and we lost shape and balance. If we are going to drop MGP (which I don't think he will) I would play Peter or Gallagher on the left and keep to the 4-4-2 that has served us so well this season.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.