BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

USA 1 Ghana 2

Hypo-Luxa

Not wanting to sound bitter, but that's two games in a row where the referee has completely affected the outcome of the game. I don't mean to dredge up the Italian game again to debate those calls; but whether you agreed with the red cards or not, the fact was that the referee called the game too tightly and had a huge impact on the outcome.

Now this. Had the U.S. gone into the half 1-1, as it allegedly should have been, the second half would have been completely different. Knowing you have to score two goals to advance is a lot different than knowing you have to bag just one... it's hard to play well when a team knows you're going to press and can sit back, soak it up, and counter when appropriate.

I'm gutted. We may not have played well, but we deserved better than 1 point and 2 games where referees played a major role in the outcome.

Not wanting to sound bitter, but that's two games in a row where the referee has completely affected the outcome of the game. I don't mean to dredge up the Italian game again to debate those calls; but whether you agreed with the red cards or not, the fact was that the referee called the game too tightly and had a huge impact on the outcome.

Now this. Had the U.S. gone into the half 1-1, as it allegedly should have been, the second half would have been completely different. Knowing you have to score two goals to advance is a lot different than knowing you have to bag just one... it's hard to play well when a team knows you're going to press and can sit back, soak it up, and counter when appropriate.

I'm gutted. We may not have played well, but we deserved better than 1 point and 2 games where referees played a major role in the outcome.

Gutted as well and I completely agree with your sentiments. We didn't play well, but if by some luck by the refs, we could have been up against Brazil. Let's hope this isn't too much of a step back. All in all the USA still need one true attacking player that causes fear in defenders.

Now I get to sit back and just enjoy the beautiful game...and hope the refs don't undo any other games in the tourney.

Well done Ghana :)

Harsh penalty but the US were awful. Just for the people moaning about the ref, the guy who scored the first for Ghana was absolutely pancaked when he was nearly clean through down the left flank. He was actually kicked AND held at the same time and was carried off injured. No freekick.

Shev, didn't see the game at all, so I'm only going from hearsay. But if what you say is true, I think it further speaks to my point that the referee was subpar and had far too much of an impact on the game. As I said before... the best referees don't even seem like they're on the field, such is their minimal impact on the flow of the game.

Still, the ref wasn't to blame for the Czech Republic game, so I suppose we dug our own grave. I just can't help but think how different this game could have been if we went into the half at 1-1 with all the momentum.....

I'm too p!ssed to comment much more than we made two mistakes, and were punished and we didn't do anything on the offensive side to tie, much less win the game in the second half. Penalty or not, Onyewu should not have been put in that situation by Bocanegra. After the hole we dug ourselves against the Czech's, we were lucky to still be in it on the last day. But we were and we didn't capitalize on the opportunity.

Overhaul the system? No, but we sure need a massive shot in the arm because in three games we didn't look like much of a threat at all. Maybe we can lure/kidnap Guus away from Russia....

It's a game the the US should have won. Too many players didn't turn up today...especially Donovan. I was expecting big things from him but he's been very, very disappointing throughout!

Edited by cn_barlow

Still, the ref will have helped at least one African side into the last 16.

Disgraceful.

I have been very impressed by Ghana and am glad they're through on balance but it does make you wonder when such a bad decision is made - from a ref ideally placed to see the incident .

The next World Cup is in Africa isn't it ....?

The penalty was definitely very very dodgy (And I watched the other game so didn't see much more than the goals), but seen over all three games I think it's clear that the best two teams in the group are through.

In the cold light of day I beleive that the USA don't deserve to go through. They are a team that I watch and look out for their result, I have been a part of US soccer on some level since I've been here and as long as I'm a fan of football I want the US to do well as it can only bring the game more popularity over here.

Lets look at what happened to them:

They came out flat against the Czech's and got a pasting. This made everyone sit up and say that the Czech's were one of the best team's in it. 2 losses later and they are gone (yes, we all know Koller got injured).

They played their ba!!s off against Italy, had no shots and scraped a creditable draw.

Against Ghana an error from their skipper and a very debatable penalty cost them twice. They huffed and puffed but couldn't find it.

Fans all over the place have talked about being done by the ref's in two games. Both sendings off in the Italy game were deserved (Mastroeni's a tad harsh) and today's penalty was a bad one. But these excuses mask what was a very ineffective US team. They hardly got into the box in all three of their games and some of their players weren't up to it. I think Arena (the coach) has a lot to answer for. He should walk, or be pushed. Tactically the USA were miles behind and although many will feel sorry for them they weren't good enough to progress.

Fans all over the place have talked about being done by the ref's in two games. Both sendings off in the Italy game were deserved (Mastroeni's a tad harsh) and today's penalty was a bad one. But these excuses mask what was a very ineffective US team. They hardly got into the box in all three of their games and some of their players weren't up to it. I think Arena (the coach) has a lot to answer for. He should walk, or be pushed. Tactically the USA were miles behind and although many will feel sorry for them they weren't good enough to progress.

First of all, thanks for your support for the American team... us American fans need all the help we can get over here.

I wanted to clarify my stance on the refereeing. The U.S. did not go out of the World Cup because of the referees, but rather because they came out flat against the Czechs and couldn't muster a goal (or two) when they needed it in the second half against Ghana. In the end, whatever the dodgy decisions, you have no one but yourselves to blame when you don't create enough offensively and grab a mere one point from three matches.

However...

The officiating in this tournament, on the whole, has been way too nitpicky. I understand FIFA's desire to clamp down on dirty play, but the main objective in refereeing should be to avoid impacting the outcome of the game. Giving dodgy penalties (like Onyewu's) and carding players for taking spot kicks too early (Gyan for Ghana against the Czechs, a yellow which got him suspended for today's match) is ruining the tournament.

Beckenbauer is absolutely spot on: let the players play. If you're going to call a penalty, make sure it's the indisputable right call. If you're going to red card someone, make sure you're absolutely positive they deserve it. Bad calls are a part of the game; but in a 38-game Premiership season they tend to even out, whereas one bad call in a three-game group stage is potentially disastrous to a team's chances.

Overhaul the system? No, but we sure need a massive shot in the arm because in three games we didn't look like much of a threat at all.

The first thing the U.S. can do is to start playing in the Copa America. UEFA teams have the European Championships, Africans have the African Nations Cup... we have the Gold Cup. I personally don't care what the effect is on the MLS: the future of U.S. soccer is more dependent on the national team than on a league which cannot keep its best players, and if we're to progress as a footballing nation then we have to play better sides than the CONCACAF ones.

It's too late for the 2007 Copa America in Venezuela (not that that wouldn't pose political and security nightmares anyway), but going forward I think it's something U.S. soccer needs to pursue.

Donovan sucks, world class my pearly white butt.

Heard it summed up best that the US lacked a true star quality world class player.

The refs sucked, but they didn't cost us, bad personnel decisions (McBride and Donovan on for way too long - why bring 4 strikers and not use them??) and poor playing did. If the team showed half the heart the fans did we'd be going through.

Well done Ghana :)

Harsh penalty but the US were awful. Just for the people moaning about the ref, the guy who scored the first for Ghana was absolutely pancaked when he was nearly clean through down the left flank. He was actually kicked AND held at the same time and was carried off injured. No freekick.

I only sw the 2nd half, since I was supposed to be working.

If you are talking about anything in the second half, then that's crap. heck I think half of Ghana's team was carried off injured at one point or another in the second half to waste time, break up play and get the team some rest.

I actually remember yelling at the TV when they said 5 mins of stoppage time, it could have been more like 8 to 10, imho.

but to be fair, the US didn't deserve to advance, I have to agree. We need to create some true ttacking and midfield talent to compete at the WC, although I think our keeping defence has the talent to be strong for some time.

Edited by USRoverME

This guy had to go off injured with a thigh injury after that particular challenge. Their striker also went down towards the end and had to struggle through the last 10 mins injured since Ghana had at that point made three substitutions. He was basically stood round the center circle and couldn't do much. Effectivly, they played with 10 men towards the end.

First of all, it's Ghana - USA, not that it matters that much..

I have a bet on Ghana for this one, but I'm very unsure. Ghana has showed promise, whilst USA in my opinion got off a bit easy because of Italy's poor showing on Saturday.

2-1 Ghana, and the Italians to win hopefully. (add a sensational Togo draw against France to that, and I'm about £120 wealthier come the weekend :) )

Well, 2 is a pretty good shot.

Dissapointing world cup all in all. I felt that Arena got his selections wrong and then we were catching up from the first game. An all honesty, the Czechs are a pretty ordinary team, but we just made them look good by standing off, not playing fast and agressive like ghana did when they played him. Lewis, just as i feared before the championships is not good enough at left back. Sure, against St Kitts and Nevis at home in qualifying he'll do fine but on the world stage, it should have been boconegra from the start.

A number of US players were disappointing also, Beasley didnt really play till the last game, neither did Donavan. A new quality striker must be found for 4 years time as Mcbride wont be there. Hopefully Adu will have matured into something special and with him playing behind Johnson with a more experienced 28 yr old Donavan will see a better U.S world cup.

Despite saying all this, the ref's both italy and ghana games were both very dodgy. I didnt think that the first red was a red in the italy match, and the pen today was a joke, 1 of the worst decesions ever ive seen in football. Pressure on the refs for an African team to qualify?!

Some hard work needed to be ready in 4 years time, oh and a Mexico style group wouldnt go amiss either ;)

the pen today was a jok e,1 of the worst decesions ever ive seen in football.

Sorry, but no way. It wasn't a penalty, but there is physical contact there and the player went over, there have been worse decisions in this tournament let alone ever.

Sorry, but no way. It wasn't a penalty, but there is physical contact there and the player went over, there have been worse decisions in this tournament let alone ever.

He had his arms out wide and the ghana player actually jumped into him. Totally ridiculus imo.

it was a harsh pen, if england went out to a penalty decision like that there would be riots!!!

i felt sorry for usa going home before the postcards, after the battle against italy, i thought they would get past ghana.

they just didn't take their chances and the refs didn't help much this year either.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.