BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Standard Of Play So Far

dave birch

What are peoples opinion of the standard of the play to date?

For me, it's been a bit ordinary, there doesn't seem to have been many spectacular moments. Maybe things will improve as the quality teams play each other in the knockout stages.

Your thoughts.......

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to disagtee but I'ne not been watching that much.

There have been far more entertaining games than I think we could have expected with only England in parts being truly boring. Sweden v T&T was bad to be honest apart from the increasing hope that T&T would pull off the draw.

For me, there has been exceptional play:

Ghana v Czech Republic

Spain v Ukraine

Argentina v S&M

Argentina v Holland was a superb game for technical ability on both sides

Most games including the dead rubbers have been pretty exciting.

I think there has been some very good dominate teams and unachiving ones

Argentina, Australia, Italy and Holland have been standouts with England, Brazil and Portugal underperforming

I think so far it has been better then '02

Edited by neekoy

Overall I'm now bored with the World Cup, too much exposure, too many idiot commentators and too much garbage on BBC radio. It's wall to wall overkill. Watching England has been the best cure for insomnia I've come across, so far I haven't managed to get through a whole match with them. Enjoyed the Germany-Poland game, all of the Argentina matches I've seen - just have to watch them for when they really begin to play - Brazil have been fun in patches. I badly wanted to watch Croatia - Australia last night but everyone else wanted Brazil so I ended up watching The Bill!!! (we only have one TV with digital) I've enjoyed Holland in parts and love Klinsman as Germany's manager - passionate!

Flicking backwards and forwards at HT and FT last night you have to ask "Why, oh why is Martin O'Neil not the next England manager?" Intelligent, articulate, good insight, likeable, the man for the job. Instead we've had the blandest product ever to come out of Sweden for five years and now are faced with Steve "Boring Underachiever" McClaren for I don't know how long. McClaren out! It's no wonder England underperform and underachieve when the FA consistently ignore the best candidates for the job.

Overall I agree with dave, the WC has been pretty ordinary so far.

I think there has been some very good dominate teams and unachiving ones

Argentina, Australia, Italy and Holland have been standouts with England, Brazil and Portugal underperforming

I think so far it has been better then '02

Italy standout??? Which Italy have you been watching?

There's been some smashing goals already. Frings' swerver on the opening day, Kaka's piledriver, Joe Cole's fantastic volley/lob and the Argentina '24 passes probably the best in world cup history' goal.

There's also been some fantastic matches to watch. Then there's underdogs like Ghana & Australia progressing through to the last 16.

And really it's only just startin' to get to the good bit, who said it was boring? ;)

so why not get them to watch it on normal and u watch the aus game.

'cos that meant banishing the whole family, except me, to our bedroom and the chaos that would have ensued......... :(

There's been some smashing goals already. Frings' swerver on the opening day, Kaka's piledriver, Joe Cole's fantastic volley/lob and the Argentina '24 passes probably the best in world cup history' goal.

There's also been some fantastic matches to watch. Then there's underdogs like Ghana & Australia progressing through to the last 16.

And really it's only just startin' to get to the good bit, who said it was boring? ;)

Take your point griz, but there's been no one that's done the magic dribble, taken a team apart, that's mesmerised an opposition.

It's taken a good hit. OK 24 passes from the Argies, could be classed as flat defending from their opponents, but I appreciate keeping the ball for that long.

What about the one bloke touch and volley, the one guy beating three/four and having a hit, it's not been there this time yet.

There have been games that have been close, but for me, they've been lacking.

Italy standout??? Which Italy have you been watching?

The one where the guys wear blue and/or white, eat spaghetti and say momma mia a lot

US game was a bit dodgy because it turned into a kickfest but the other two games they played quite well in my most humble opinion

Of course with us playing them next I hope they are as crap as you think they are

The best game so far was Aussies v Croatia. Argies demolition of the Serbs ranks good as a technical game. I've like the WC so far, the good games will start on Saturday as they are playing to stay. How may penalty shootouts will we see?

It's been variable. Most of the "big teams" and favorites have been pretty poor so far and not lived up to expectations so there have been a few dull games. Argentina, Spain and Ivory Coast have been good to watch. Brazil started to show some of their potential last night. It's been a decent tournament so far but for some reason I remember 2002 as better.

Always tend to find that the group stages are ordinary, with any excitement coming from the underdgogs holding their own or even beating the big guns, the occasional class goal. Things really start to take off and improve when the knock out stages start, well hope so anyway.

some of the refs seem to spoiling alot of the matches recently, they like to be the centre of attention imo.

argentina have stood out and fairplay to australlia they have been entertaining.

overall the standard os alright, i think the games will get alot better now. the teams have had time to gel togehter and knock out fottie is more exciting than the group games. it's all or nothing.

Italy look average at the moment. Pirlo, Gattuso and Perrota - is that a midfield to get you excited?

Doesnt matter whether it makes one excited or not as long as they get the job done, and IMO they have done a better job than Brazil's midfield so far.

Italy hasnt really shone, but they have taken their chances, and so have two very effective wins against Ghana and Czech Republic.

Overall I'm now bored with the World Cup, too much exposure, too many idiot commentators and too much garbage on BBC radio. It's wall to wall overkill. Watching England has been the best cure for insomnia I've come across,

Instead we've had the blandest product ever to come out of Sweden for five years and now are faced with Steve "Boring Underachiever" McClaren for I don't know how long. McClaren out! It's no wonder England underperform and underachieve when the FA consistently ignore the best candidates for the job.

Overall I agree with dave, the WC has been pretty ordinary so far.

Agree slightly Paul, but its been refreshing in parts especially with the African teams seeing how far they have adapted their football nous and going out to play/win rather than being tactical. Only thing it doesn't appear to feel like at the moment is the World Cup - don't know what it is but there is something definitely missing.

As for England did you expect anything else with slaphead in charge?

As for Mclaren and the future - totally agree - for some reason people seem to think there is going to be this massive resurgence - yet it will be virtually the same set up.

'cos that meant banishing the whole family, except me, to our bedroom and the chaos that would have ensued......... :(

you not heard of unplugging the box and taking it upstairs? Of course the muttering "I bloody payed for it im going to get my bloody moneys worth" would have also helped your cause

Italy look average at the moment. Pirlo, Gattuso and Perrota - is that a midfield to get you excited?

Pirlo certainly is one to get me excited, but maybe that's due to my love for that particular type of player (Of which Tugay is one too). Gattuso is simply there to win the ball, and Perrotta is underrated by most. Italy play a narrow midfield, relying on Zambrotta/Grosso for width, and Totti + the front two also creating chances. So the fact that Gattuso and Perrotta aren't exciting doesn't mean much. Savage for example isn't exciting but he's certainly useful.

As for Mclaren and the future - totally agree - for some reason people seem to think there is going to be this massive resurgence - yet it will be virtually the same set up.

Id rather have Graham Taylor in charge than Steve Mclaren

you not heard of unplugging the box and taking it upstairs? Of course the muttering "I bloody payed for it im going to get my bloody moneys worth" would have also helped your cause

You're not married Flopsy :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.