BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

France 2-0 Togo

Eddie

Once again because of being busy this game slipped my mind and I apologise for not having done a preview, I've set a reminder for the France v Spain game and will have one done.

No Zidane and things got better. France were once again unimpressive, though improved and effective. Togo never really caused them any trouble and it was more a case of when they would score and if they would win by two or if results would go their way, in the end both proved to be the case and France will be in the last 16 after finishing behind Switzerland.

There is undoubted quality in the side but at the moment they lack that "je ne sais quoi" that will allow them to play and express themselves in the way that they can. Henry looks a shadow of the player that we all watch in awe in the Arsenal shirt, while Viera, Zidane and Barthez have looked past the sell by date. However, Viera and Henry scored and all is happy in Paris. I didn't even have to watch the game to know the score, loud cheers rang out throughout the streets when the goals went in and let everyone know that the mighty Togo were being brushed aside.

France need to step it up now, much like England, though they have been even less impressive. They passed the ball and moved well at times tonight, but at others it appeared that they didn't know what they were doing.

France are far more interesting to watch then the @#/? that is overrated England. Glad they got through.

Was it just me, or was Silvestre Awful? Evra must be playing like a donkey to be replaced by Kidney head.

Edited by wakefieldrawks

Ribery has been absolute garbage in every game.

The French league has a habit of over-hyping players and them turning out to be mediocre (at best). Cisse would be a prime example of a player being proclaimed as a great talent and being thoroughly shown up in a better league.

And those misses could have cost his team the game. Its ridiculous to dismiss them. Its like saying, 'that goalkeeper was pretty good apart from the two shots he let in through his legs'.

There is undoubted quality in the side but at the moment they lack that "je ne sais quoi" that will allow them to play and express themselves in the way that they can. Henry looks a shadow of the player that we all watch in awe in the Arsenal shirt, while Viera, Zidane and Barthez have looked past the sell by date.

Vieria looked past it in the Switzerland game, but has stepped up his performances in the last two games and started to look like the old Vieria. I think that Zidane has actually played quite well this tournament, nothing like he used to be able to do, but he's still better than most. I totally agree about Barthez, Coupet deserves to be number one and is far more reliable option. I'd even have Landreau in goal before Barthez and the reasons why Sebastian Frey is continuously overlooked is a mystery.

I thought that France played quite well last night and they were unlucky with decisions and some of their chances. If they converted less than half of them, they would have won 4-0 or something. However they are going to have to improve to beat Spain and I don't know if they can under Domenech, because he is unable to get the best out of a ridiculously talented squad.

I couldn't believe that Martin O'Neill was suggesting Ribery wasn't good enough for the France team at the moment. Apart from two horrendous misses, I thought his all-round contribution was very impressive.

Exactly what i thought! Apart from missing those chances against Togo, i think hes been their best player so far. Henry and others have missed far more than him anyway, i have no idea what M O'neill has against him, maybe hes not such a good pundit after all. Did he reject celtic a coupla yrs ago or summit?!

Ribery's overall game reminded me a bit of of Craig Johnston. Trezuguet was abysmal. Salifou looked exciting for Togo.

The ref was whistle happy and spoiled a lot of the play.......... nothing new there then.

Edited by thenodrog

Ribery has been absolute garbage in every game.

The French league has a habit of over-hyping players and them turning out to be mediocre (at best). Cisse would be a prime example of a player being proclaimed as a great talent and being thoroughly shown up in a better league.

And those misses could have cost his team the game. Its ridiculous to dismiss them. Its like saying, 'that goalkeeper was pretty good apart from the two shots he let in through his legs'.

Agree. I was in Paris for quite a bit early this year, and saw a bit of Ribery. I couldn't believe it when he was linked with ManUre, because he did not seem to me to live up to the hype. There is no doubt he's got a great work ethic, and digs in deep in every game. But his skill levels are not good enough, and for his size, they need to be, because he'll be muscled out of balls by big players, in big time games. That's what has happened in the WC.

Not to mention that he'd be the ugliest Premiership player since

Vinnie Jones

Luke Chadwick makes Vinnie Jones look like Beckham

On France they seemed improve in the second half, on current form Spain should clean them up but if anything the French defence has been pretty solid so maybe another penalty shootout could be at hand

Edited by neekoy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.