BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England 1 Ecuador 0

philipl

I disagree - we had the chances and Gerrard/Lamplard fluffed them (especially Lamplard)

He started droping deep and Gerrard and Lampard were getting into the spaces needed.

A work in progress and a lot of work needed.

What would you prefer? Beckham brought off after 70minutes or Lennon to start and Beckham to be brought on after 70minutes?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you, like Sven would play a system that non of the players who have a clue how to play(remember, we were about to bring Crouch on before Beckham scored) and also play Gerrard in a position that's not his best.

Play 442

Neville(if fit) Terry Rio Cole

Beckham Hargreaves Gerrard Cole

Crouch(he's poo but who else?) Rooney

I wont complain with that formation - I do feel though that Lamplard will hit form and id give 451 another go but hope that hargreaves can play the DM role.

Still we won again - who'd have thought

England has to be grateful for Ukraine v Tunisia or three of our games would be the worst three games at this World Cup.

Good result but the number of basic mistakes and tactical ineptitudes remains in the embarassing column.

The defence had its keystone cops moments again, not only Terry but Rio nearly repeated his Ewood Park gaffe. The midfield might as well be playing in formaldehyde, thet were so rigid and lacking in creativity and whilst Rooney was magnificent, we would have murdered them with anybody playing up front next to Rooney.

Maybe Neville will get fit (I'll wash my mouth out wishing that Manc back in the England side), Lampard will regain composure in front of goal and Beckham will play as well as he throws up- at least he can still take a mean free kick even if his corners were MGP. Are these over-paid lah-di-dahs going to start playing when we finally face decent opposition?

The Italians did a decent job of celebrating here getting into the last 16 so the Maltese England supporters are busy showing them how it is done properly at the moment. This is one crazy island and I cannot hear myself type!

Alf Ramsey said that he might not pick his best players, but he would pick his best team.

Eriksson has a squad of exceptionally talented players, but he still can't get a good team together.

Sick to death watching garbage - on the money Rev - game after game.

Crap manager, overrated players and idiot supporters.

Yet again the overrated Beckham gets out of jail with a average freekick which any world class keeper would have saved.

The upside is at least a Rovers player isnt playing and being associated with this bunch of overated,overpaid, overhyped players.

The uneducated neandathals to be sent packing by the Dutch or the Portugese is a must.

Edited by wakefieldrawks

Agree Beckhams was poor but to call the free kick average is a bit harsh. It was a very good free kick. The most disappointing player today for me was Stevie, I expected more. Lampard was none existant too. Ecuador came to be physical and play spoilers almost worked. Why was the penalty not called when Rooney was sandwhiched between the two defenders, you could see on the one of thems face he had no other intention than play the man. The ref called an almost identical situation outside the box.

These yank commentators are doing me head in.

I hope the next game is cooler, got a feeling it will be our last. Still I said the same about this one though. God we are playing poorly.

Edited by USABlue

Well, into the quarter finals, don't care how we got there. Can't beat Argentina or Brazil until we play them, though I don't think we played that well I do think that the team will play better.

I'm starting to really enjoy England winning and then coming on here to read the daft comments.

There were plenty on here who didn't think we'd beat Ecuador, but we have and, other than one individual error by Terry early on, we did so without ever looking in trouble defensively. We were solid, we kept possession better than we have done up to now, Rooney looked fitter, and Beckham scored a cracking free-kick (average my arse). But for some poor finishing and the odd wayward final pass we could have got more.

Yet again we played a team devoid of any real attacking ambition (bizarrely even after they went a goal behind), and yet again we played in some of the hottest conditions anyone has faced in the competition, but we deservedly won and are now in the quarter finals. Where we face the winners of a game littered with diving, petulance, mild violence and precious little good football. And these are supposedly the class teams that will easily knock England out of the World Cup? We'll see.

I thought Carrick played well. He protected the defence on the few occasions he had to and used the ball well. No coincidence that we kept it better than we have before today. Hargreaves was an improvement over Carragher at right-back (but we still miss Neville). Ashley Cole was fantastic defensively - what a block! Gerrard and Lampard made some good runs and showed plenty of energy in the middle of the park. Lampard is surely destined to score a hat-trick soon.

Man of the match for me though was Rooney. He was fairly quiet in the first half but still looked a threat when in possession, but in the second half he led the line superbly. He ran his socks off, frequently tearing off down the channels or coming short to receive the ball, which he then kept expertly. He's improving with every game - and he owes Portugal.

Of course we weren't brilliant, but I'm not sure many teams would be in those conditions against a team happy to defend for most of the game. Joe Cole wasn't as prominant as he has been up to now, Terry is making worrying individual errors - as is Robinson, and Beckham didn't seem fit (reports say he felt ill before the game but didn't let on). However, I thought we looked like a better unit and the change in formation seems to suit the players we now have better than 4-4-2.

Onwards and upwards, can't wait for Saturday now.

Sick to death watching garbage - on the money Rev - game after game.

Crap manager, overrated players and idiot supporters.

Such garbage that you can comment on it - game after game. We all assume Paul, that you'll not be watching England play Portugal on Saturday - the manicured mancunian lawn will need tending to.

The "idiot supporters" will be watching that game in their millions - some in the stadium in Gelsenkirchen, some in the town there, some in bars all over Germany, and in homes, hotels, bars and pubs in every village on these shores.

The "idiot supporters" I have met in Germany these last days have been a credit to their team and country. I have seen so many scenes of Germany / Sweden / Mexico / Switzerland / xxx / xxx / ENGLAND fans mixing and celebrating football I couldn't record all of them.

As for the crap manager and overrated players, just keep spouting. They're doing fine just now, and with the brilliant fans they're making you look like a sad fool.

OK. My gripe is that I'm sick of all the "best team in a generation" hype, when it's plain to see that we've been very, very poor. Only the most blinkerednof England fans can be pleased with the performances. And that's the conclusion of most, if not all, pundits and ex-players.

Onto the fans: I was out in Germany for a week and had a great time with fans from around the world. Our party stayed far away from the England fans for the simple reason that a significant slice of them are idiots. 400 were arrested in Stuggart, I'm sick of the anti-German chants, the yobish, drunk behaviour, the "I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk" chants. The crass and irrelevant national anthem, the Great Escape tune, Rule Brittania....as you know I could go on.

I'm afraid we have nothing to be proud of with this team or our fans abroad. I just hope it improves.

From the Guardian article:

thoroughly undeserved good fortune.

That just about sums up England's progress so far. They'll play better eventually though. Well...so I'm told.

People shouldn't be surprised to see them stumble into the semis though. Last night's brawl robbed the Portuguese of Deco and possibly Ronaldo. With England's superiors eliminating each other, Beckham and company may find themselves in the last four and eventually wake up from whatever prolonged malaise has gripped them.

I'm starting to really enjoy England winning and then coming on here to read the daft comments.

There were plenty on here who didn't think we'd beat Ecuador, but we have and, other than one individual error by Terry early on, we did so without ever looking in trouble defensively........

Such garbage that you can comment on it - game after game. We all assume Paul, that you'll not be watching England play Portugal on Saturday - the manicured mancunian lawn will need tending to.

The "idiot supporters" will be watching that game in their millions.........

Well said both of you. I think the thing this country has the most to be ashamed of is the negative attitude of both its gutter press and so many "fans" who just want to find all the negatives and whinge.

There were plenty on here who didn't think we'd beat Ecuador,

Hmmmm, I see one prediction that you'd lose to Ecuador.

But we wouldn't want to see the facts get in the way of another winge, would we?

OK. My gripe is that I'm sick of all the "best team in a generation" hype, when it's plain to see that we've been very, very poor. Only the most blinkerednof England fans can be pleased with the performances. And that's the conclusion of most, if not all, pundits and ex-players.

I don't think anyone is saying that we are playing well, but this is the bes team in a generation. Very talented side that have shown us that they can play very well, but they need to produce the goods now.

1/4 finals now and we still have not played well.

winning when your not palying well wins trophy's though.

i wish sge would give lennon a longer run out, he only had 5 mins and loooked dangerous everytime he had the ball.

joe cole was knackered and got subbed for bloody scouser j.c.

nothing against the liverpool player but wouldn't it of just been easier to bring on lennon for cole instead of re-shuffling the defense and the midfield all about?

it's revenge time now for 2004!!!

I'm sick of the anti-German chants, the yobish, drunk behaviour, the "I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk" chants.

As ever its a 'minority' that take centre stage.I have to agree with your above comments PM,the Germans have done everything possible to make the English following feel welcome but a small section of little Englanders seem intent on repaying the welcome with a flying bottle and the now infamous white plastic chair.The British media dont help,almost creaming themselves for news of any mither involving our lot!

I think the German police have been excellent so far and have acted with great restraint, if the police had been from Italy or Spain many of our (innocent) fans heads would have been cracked good style.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

The worrying thing about the game against Ecuador was the lack of inititive and the complete lack of movement infront of the ball. This could very well be down to the heat but this has been Englands problem throughout the tournament. If you look at Germany and their willingness to run, to move, where every player wants the ball all the time, to keep it moving forward as quickly as possible and to push up after the ball as much as possible...and compare that to England where no one but Rooney really seems to want the ball, where the midfield hardly wanted to walk let alone run, where there's a lack of willingness to do something...well, it just means that while Germany are passing the ball forward and creating chances, all England is doing is passing it sideways in defence, since no one is open up field.

How can you win football matches when no one wants to run, or maybe when they can't?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.