Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Argentina

Finch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't as good as Joe Cole's volley

Of course it was. :blink: The guy only contolled a cross field pass on his chest, turned on the corner of the box and lashed a volley with his weaker left foot into the opposite top corner of the net.

That was one of the best games of football I have seen in some time. It wasn't like there were many chances, it was just that it was so enthralling. Mexico were excellent and even though I don't agree with them being the fourth best team in the world according to FIFA, they are certainly in the top 10. Rafael Marquez was the best player on the pitch by a mile IMO. I've always thought that this guy was a class apart and on Saturday he showed how good he was and what it means to be a captain.

Argentina's ability to bring on Messi, Tevez and Aimar is what made the difference. If Mexico had at least one of these class options up front or on the bench they could have won. Messi or Tevez should start the next game, because they looked unreal.

Edited by RoyRover

Wasn't as good as Joe Cole's volley

the winning goal by argentina was awsome, one of the best goals of the tournament by a mile.

maxi's technique to control it from a angled pass on the chest and leather it into the corner was immense.

cole's goal was class , but not in the same league.

Rafael Marquez was the best player on the pitch by a mile IMO. I've always thought that this guy was a class apart and on Saturday he showed how good he was and what it means to be a captain.

And he was very, very pretty!!!! ;)

Hey rovers !

back from my Catatonic state. Only after half dozen Stellas & a wicked lamb Vindaloo post the England match was I able to emerge from my quiet stay at 'trembling hills rest home'. This past match was not good on my nerves at all.

I think you guys have a good handle on this match, it's true that Mexico came out and punched noses.

Dictated the tempo right off, thankfully they didn't press their advantage. I cringe to think what 'might have been' if Crespo hadn't equalized so quickly. IMO Mexico needs a younger C. Blanco to emerge, a talismanic playmaker & real dynamic striker. As it was, a jaded Borghetti gave Ayala & Heinz more than they wanted.

Adopted Scouser:

C'mon..... Maxi' strike was just a good a Cole's, give credit where it's due. :)

Argentina was a bit more than Mexico, but the Aztecas effort made the passing game suffer clearly... Riquelme couldn't complete a good pass to save his life, I guess that's what ppl are saying about playing at 70%. I also agree we are vulnerable at the back... surely, everyone's seen what England and Croatia did to them in the past 8 months. 4 goals in the last 10 minutes by rushing all forward and whipping crosses inside. Ayala has been superman, but can it last ?

Blue Phil-

It is madness to suggest that German is an underdog next Friday. Home advantage and home 'cooking'(refereeing) will see us out by Saturday. Germany will have every advantage

real or imagined.

One more point:

Brian says that as proof Argentina were at 70% [/b]'as they would have stepped up and won it before extra time' They did, does anyone else remember a legitimate goal being disallowed?

thanks for the use of Argentines, PhillyRover. Argies gets on my tits.

What are we doing w/ the Bellamy windfall?

Edited by blue/white

1) Anybody non-German (and there will be a lot of T5 packages) will be screaming for Argentina so it will be 6:1 in the crowd. Not impossible if you silence them early.

2) Argentina have the players both to kill the game in midfield and terrify the Germans up front.

3) The Germans will have no answer for the Tevez/Aymar/Messi substitution (nobody has).

4) Riquelme is the player of the Tournament. An absolutely peerless midfielder.

5) If England can beat them 5-1 on their patch....

Edited by philipl

I expect Argentina to win, but I don't think it will be as easy as you are making it to be. Argentina have been good, but most of the hype is a result of the 6-0 against S&M, and let's face it they were falling apart. They struggled against Mexico and I think they will struggle again this time around, though they are the much better side and I think that will tell in the end.

1) Anybody non-German (and there will be a lot of T5 packages) will be screaming for Argentina so it will be 6:1 in the crowd. Not impossible if you silence them early.

2) Argentina have the players both to kill the game in midfield and terrify the Germans up front.

3) The Germans will have no answer for the Tevez/Aymar/Messi substitution (nobody has).

4) Riquelme is the player of the Tournament. An absolutely peerless midfielder.

5) If England can beat them 5-1 on their patch....

I will be screaming for a German victory...purely because i would rather England played them in the final than Argentina.

Also Riquelme...peerless? Whatabout this Ronaldinho character who everyone has been spouting on about?

do you think if, and its a big if, by some large miricle that England play argentina in the final - do you think we'll be able to organise a flypast in honour of the great event.

Harriers would be a good idea

Yes, that very same Riquelme. :(

I can tell you that in the past three days, 38 million

candles will have been lit and fingers crossed that JR

will flash better form. He was pretty shakey on Saturday.

Phil- I have printed your post - with the intent of placing it in my

pocket for repeated reading between now & tomorrow for assurance.

While some points i can see, I cannot see JR being a 'peerless midfielder'.

It is funny how accross the pond, JR reputation isn't so sterling.

We are downright scared that Pekerman has handed him the keys, our worry

is that there isn't another option in midfield. Our Cambiasso/

Mascherano firm consistently steps on each other toes and it detracts

from Argentina contesting balls further up the field. Notice how many

balls we finally intercept just at the top of our area ? Those mistakes

might go unpunished against Mexico, but against a decent side?

Nonetheless: Thanks for the words.

now Flopsy, having seen much of your work here on the forum,

i know you're a bit of a joker (thou mostly unfunny ;) ) with a nasty streak

a few hundred yards wide, so your words should be taken with a pinch or two

of salt.

I suppose winning a skirmish entitles you crow, like say: World Cup 1966, but if I

wanted to be equally tasteless (which I clearly don't because I Love the

Rovers, Value this board & generally enjoy the bonhomie exhibited here.)

I could utter silly, insensitive words like 'hope they don't respond to the Harriers with

an Exocet or two found in the cupboard'. But I won't thou, because I love your country,

count many englishman as very close friends here in the states and because Argentina,

althou we are proud silly people we are profoundly non-bellicose. Perhaps we have England to

thank for that, I can assure you that no government will ever drag us into a silly war

to prop up their sagging popularity.

So, lets' just let it go, man. it's footy, Remember ?! it's supposed to be fun. :)

Besides, you're gonna have to be nice to us so Elizondo can red-card the entire Portuguese

side. Dare not think he wouldn't !

Edited by blue/white

bad taste? Poor Pun more like, I missed out the tounge in cheek smilie.

It was meant as a bit of light hearted banter as we have no chance of beating Portugal and Brazil/France - let alone beating Argentina as well

We'll take any psyhcalogical advantage we can get.

I know about the flypasts. I love them as I've a real softspot for

WWII birds. A few years ago, pre-9/11 gloriously painted B-17

would make flypasts the Status of Lib & NY Harbour. A glorious sight and

monsterous racket flying maybe a few hundred feet overhead. Brillant sight.

If we do meet at the end of this torture, i'd be more than happy to see a

Harrier overhead, as long as it's not armed ! ;)

to digress a bit:

About six months ago, I saw this wonderful documentary about

the ultimately unsuccessful attempt at raising the Belgrano.

HM seamen & officers made the trip and exchanged stories with

Argentine seamen & Captain of the battleship... very touching story

of combatants coming together 2 decades later and realizing that

they were the very much alike.

C'mon Flop, ol' boy, surely you too will cheer the

diving, cheatin' Argentines tomorrow vs. the Barbarians, right?

;)

PS- i'll have a word w/ Elizondo... don't slag the man just yet.

He's a good ref for the most part.

cheers.

Id love to - but I think we've got more chance of beating (HA we couldnt beat an egg) the Germans than the Argentinians

I want the best footballing team on the night/afternoon to win fair and square (cop out or what?)

As for the Belgrano - unfortunately its one of those things that has to happen in war - you take out the enemies most dangerous assests if you can. The crusier was about to pass over some shoals which meant Conqueror couldnt follow it and might well lose it so they took the decision to shoot.

It stopped the rather substantial Argentinian blue water fleet from harrasing the task force, so as a military act it did excellently. And probably saved more lives than if the Belgrano had decided to try and mix it up with the british fleet. The major tradgedy of the Belgrano was the fact that the support ships legged it and didnt pick up the numerous survivors. (not that you can really blame the ships with an unknown nuc boat hanging around)

Germany will knock Argentina out, but probably not in 90 minutes. It wil take ET/shootout and possibly a dodgy penalty, selective blindness by the referee to fouls/handball for Germany to win

i think the only way germany will win is on pens.

the home crowd wont be a decisive factor. the ARG squad are experienced of playing infront of partizan crowds ( in their own country and beyond).

ARG strength in debt is the best in the tournament. not only will they beat germany, they'll win it outright!

i think the argentina attack is too strong for the german defence and with donkey jens in goal he is always prone to errors.

could be a high scoring game is the front 2 of germany have kept their scoring boots on but i can't see anything other than a arg victory and wait for the post match riots.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.